Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need your help please!

I have a 2007 Gallardo Spyder, 81,000km on it, I purchased it 6 months ago.

Since purchasing it, it has intermittently been throwing P1106 codes, sometimes just 1, sometimes twice in the same cycle before clearing.

It happens mostly toward the end of the day of driving, eg. When the car is hot. Typical driving for the day (car is driven usually once or twice a week like this) is like 60-90 minutes of broken driving, mostly city driving, and lots of stopping starting, engine off, parked for 5-10 mins between, then short drives of equal length like 5-10 mins.

Toward the end of the day and usually after the car sits for a little while eg. 60 + mins, the car will trigger p1106 code / CEL after 5-10 mins of driving.

Over the past few months, here’s the work that we have completed on the car to try and resolve this with no luck (each fix / item was completed individually and then tested the car and same fault before doing the next thing)

1. Smoke tested engine - small leak in each of the secondary butterfly valve shafts in the intake manifolds on both sides - replaced the shaft seals and retested - no more leaks.

2. Replaced both air filters

3. Replaced MAP sensor with genuine Bosch part

4. Throttle bodies rebuilt by Xemodex in Canada - one had more issues than the other, both were showing early signs of failure - but sadly didn’t fix the issue.

5. As a final attempt without knowing what else to try and look at, we cleaned both of the big plugs in the engine bay on either side of the engine that connect the ECU’s to the loom / all sensors. This was probably the closest effect we had in the sense that I have driven the car for approx 3.5 hours of broken driving over the last 2 days and it only triggered to code at the very end of the day today, again after the car was parked up for about 90 mins and then triggered 5 mins into the next drive.

Does anybody have any ideas or can anyone please shed light on this?

Have you had problems like this, and know what we can do next to try and solve this?

Car feels absolutely fine, no sluggish behavior or rough running. Sometimes a slightly rough idle / rev hunting, but usually not close to timing of the engine code….

I am at a loss so any ideas or advice is much appreciated,… thanks guys!

/ Chris

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,024 Posts
The code says, “Comparison between ECU bank1 value and ECU bank2 value.” IMO, has to be a leak somewhere…..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like a carbon build up. You could try running some valve cleaner through a vacuum line on the intake. If that dont work you might have to take the intake off and do a walnut shell blast on the back side of the valves. With anything over 30k miles and being direct injected it gets a lot of carbon build up. I just cant remember when they started direct injection. I know they started it in the Audi line up in or around 05 in some models and other models in 06. Could not find any info on what year Lambo started it in. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a carbon build up. You could try running some valve cleaner through a vacuum line on the intake. If that dont work you might have to take the intake off and do a walnut shell blast on the back side of the valves. With anything over 30k miles and being direct injected it gets a lot of carbon build up. I just cant remember when they started direct injection. I know they started it in the Audi line up in or around 05 in some models and other models in 06. Could not find any info on what year Lambo started it in. Hope that helps.
Thank you very much...! This sounds like a good thing to rule out next I think... will keep you posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much...! This sounds like a good thing to rule out next I think... will keep you posted.
Can confirm my car isn't direct injected... all valves and ports look pretty clean. Will run a valve cleaner through just for peace of mind here but looks unlikely (unfortunately as this sounded like a very plausible cause) !

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,024 Posts
Direct injection started in 09 when Lambo left the 5.0 and went to the 5.2. They also brought back the, “LP” name.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you tried a temp sensor or ECT sensor I know some of the early Audi and VW's had a bad batch of sensors. Even if its off a little it will do a lot of weird stuff. The problem is that there is not a lot of info on the early Lambos. From what I searched it points toward O2 sensors, Baro or Map sensor. With that code it shows a difference between left and right bank. I did a google search using "07 Lamborghini with code p1106" and there is some good info out there. It may require a lot of reading and taking notes but it should help. Good Luck.

·
Vendor
2013 Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG
831 Posts
My first thoughts are possible clogged cats. No clue in all honesty but that was the first though that came to my mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clogged cats only happen when either its burning too much oil, constant misfire or running rich.
Currently running test pipes / decatted with stock muffler. Code / problem was present prior to removing cats for quite some time.

Cats were also completely intact and all exhaust was showing signs of good fuel / air mix eg. burning white.

No obvious symptoms associated to the temp sensors - wouldn't this cause the temp gauge in the car to display inncorectly if that was the problem?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Currently running test pipes / decatted with stock muffler. Code / problem was present prior to removing cats for quite some time.

Cats were also completely intact and all exhaust was showing signs of good fuel / air mix eg. burning white.

No obvious symptoms associated to the temp sensors - wouldn't this cause the temp gauge in the car to display inncorectly if that was the problem?
There should be one temp sensor for the ECM and one for the gauge in the car. They might be the same sensor or two different sensors it depends on the car. They are not connected together and you would not know if the engine one was off by 20 or even 50 degrees. With a 50 degree difference it would either be hard starting cold or hard starting hot.
Anyway the code you are having is saying the flow through the exhaust is different from one bank to the other. Could be a valve cover leak or even a oil cap leaking. Hard to say what it is. Could be a lazy oxygen sensor or a bad one. Without the ability to access live data its really hard to diagnose and you could be throwing parts at it for years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There should be one temp sensor for the ECM and one for the gauge in the car. They might be the same sensor or two different sensors it depends on the car. They are not connected together and you would not know if the engine one was off by 20 or even 50 degrees. With a 50 degree difference it would either be hard starting cold or hard starting hot.
Anyway the code you are having is saying the flow through the exhaust is different from one bank to the other. Could be a valve cover leak or even a oil cap leaking. Hard to say what it is. Could be a lazy oxygen sensor or a bad one. Without the ability to access live data its really hard to diagnose and you could be throwing parts at it for years.
Hmmmm... sounds maybe worth a shot. I did think of doing all O2 sensors but as you say could just be throwing parts at it now. Live data.. I can see limited live data from my scan tool but not comparative between banks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.