Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Gallardo Coupe E-Gear Giallo Midas
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

had that "double banana" (spoiler fault error message) light up after some minutes of driving and finally wanted to find out why. So i removed the inside bonnet plastic trim, disconnected the hydraulic struts, removed the motor and the silver tubes and disconnected the spoiler. After i had everything removed, i removed the motor from that black plate that holds it to finally see if it works manually. The manual operation did not work and so i had a deeper look in the area where the gear hits these "drivelines" (sorry for my bad english, did not know the correct word for it) and saw that one of these lines is missing / had snapped (passenger side) - the upper one as you can maybe see in the first pic! think it broke in the past... the upper one was not visible and the other one was not moving.

Do you have any expierience in repairing that thing or should i just...
  • replace all of it
  • think about installaing an SL wing ;)?
My best option - in my opinion - would be to restore it in its factory condition.

Thanks a lot for some hints, have a safe and spirited drive and best greetings!

Rust Wood Pipe Roof Metal
Yellow Floor Flooring Shoe Shadow
Machine

I also found Gallardo Spoiler Drive Kit in the forum. So maybe someone knows someone that has the cables or some parts - i would appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can jump two pins in the connector for the spoiler, that will eliminate your error message. Look it up, it’ll be part of the install directions for an sl spoiler or just leave yours in the down position and jump the pins.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@Joeyb997tt is spot on about getting the error message cleared by jumping the pins in the engine bay harness. If memory serves, I think it was pins 10 and 4. The SL spoiler thread has that information for sure along with instructions for how to do it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks a lot!

Because i'd like to have it stock / running again, i had a look on several items on ebay and i think i will repair the system using a matching drive kit. Already testet the motor, it works :) Will post pics and status when i am done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS: Do you know if all these aftermarket spoilers fit on every Gallardo coupe from 04-13? They are often advertised for the LP(550/560/...) Models and mine is a 2004 coupe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Managed to find a matching kit and installation was nice and i think easy. Was also a nice opportunity to clean it all up :) Just wanted to share some pics, maybe they are useful for someone in the future.

The company that sold me the kit (wihtout motor, mine was running, just put it on 12VDC) was nice enough to deliver it in a way that the spoiler could be mounted after the kit was installed (connectors to the spoiler slightly in upward position).

I wondered if the initial test when firing up the car leads to readjustment of the spoilers position - it directly went down to the "standard" position after starting up and the error message was gone + it works fine when driving on the Autobahn :)

Thanks everyone!

Yellow Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Yellow Transport Vehicle Mode of transport
Yellow Vehicle Auto part Car Hood
Yellow Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car
Yellow Architecture Floor Vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loved to contribute it and give back to this great community. Next try to create some text content for the LT search engine (i am sorry for some missing words / odd english because it is not my mothers tongue)

Remove OEM Spoiler, Gallardo Coupe (mine is a 2004) with a non-glasswindow-bonnet

1. Open engine bonnet :)

2. My opininon: Take some time, put some cloths over the rear fenders, get a nice cup of tea and a 2nd person to hold the bonnet and assist with the tubings and lots of space around the car - also a soft cloth or mat to put down the drive kit because it likes to "wobble around" :)

3. Remove the gas struts by using 2 wrenches and 2nd person is securing the bonnet

4. Remove all the screws from the bonnet plastic cover while your "helping hand" secures the big and heavy plastic cover - screws on the surface, around the bonnet and also at the rear end of the bonnet facing the rear window (use a short screwdriver, your fingers or a smartphones front camera, 3 screws at the back)

5. Gently lower the plastic cover, should be easy to remove and put it on the engine bay. Make sure to remove the loose vents of the non-glass-hood and put them in a safe and scratch-free-place :)

6. Have a look if everything sits right, disconnect the plug gently (2 plastic clips hold it, i used a plastic spatula for pressing them a bit to the side) and remove the rubber ring at the end where the plug and the cable for the motor is located and put the cable gently down in the engine bay (i inspected the cable for any damages and wrapped a dry microfiber towel with rubber band around it)

7. Use the situation to clean up the plastic cover from dirt and dust to avoid the dust getting in the sensible cables of the drive kit

8. Now look for the black "tripod" holding the motor, and remove the 3 big screws. 2nd person is securing the aluminium tubings with the drive lines / cables in it

9. Remove the 4 Screws on the tubes along the bonnet and make sure to put the screws in a jar to secure them from falling in the engine bay (and see if the o-rings are still there, maybe replace them? - i did so). Now the 2nd person has to make even more sure that he secures the overall kit ;)

10. Go on and remove 2x3 screws that hold the complex mechanics (black part) that push the spoiler at the end of the bonnet. Now everything should move a bit to remove the spoiler, in some cases it is a bit tricky. I had to use a 2nd person to genty push the spoiler a bit to reach the screws that hold them in place

11. See for 2 nuts that on the inside of the spoiler brackets that you can remove with a ratchet - if it worked, you can now remove the spoiler and put it away

12. Make sure you clean everything up as dirt is a natural enemy of the tubings and lines as my expierience was :) I used a microfiber towel and a Meguiars Cleaner to make sure everything is nice and shiny

13. So right now everything seems to be dismantled. Now you can look at the black tripod / plate that holds the motor. Remove the 3 screws and clean everyting. The motor has a gear that drives the 2 lines by "grabbing" in the spiral lines that have an additional "piper-cleaner" like fabric to - i think so - allow more grip and reduce rattling. The motor has the option to turn in manually with a screwdriver on the passenger side. Try if everything works. When you remove the motor, you can see that there is a cut-out where the drive lines hit the gear. This should be clean and "greased". Sometime, i read that people think these are hydraulic lines because they look like that, but it is a spiral metal wire :)

14. Hint: i put all parts and screws in glasses / jars and made some pictures on the way. Also, i used WD40 to spray rusty screws, and used it to make sure that the tiny screws and metal connectors are protected against rusting

15. Reinstallation: Reverse order, i think :) I will read it again tomorrow to make sure i did not forget anything

16. Hope that is also helpful for some of you!

17. Please take care and as a disclaimer: i only wrote down my expierience. This is not a professional advice so make sure that you feel able to do it, for me with no special expierience in wrenching Lamborghinis it was fun!
Have a nice day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.