Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, my front tires only have 600-700 miles on them. My rear are unknown bec it was before I bought it, but Lambo dealer says tread depth on rear is 5/32 right now. I have it in the shop right now for some pre-emptive changes of hoses and they found this - see attached - on the rear. I can get this one replaced but not the other side, as tires are discontinued.

How bad is it if I replace only this tire and not both sides at once, meaning the other side will be at 5/32? Bec it's either replace the 1 damaged tire or replace all 4 with P Zero Rossa. Given that my front have probably 85-90% of their life left, I hate wasting them and downgrading to Rossa.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not sure of the new depth on the tire you want to replace, but i know a few things. if its +/- like 2/32s its fine. Some NEW tires only come with like 8/32s, not sure if this is the case here. But you can also (at least from tire rack) order them shaved. Kinda sucks to waste new rubber but if its another...30 bucks? to shave a tire and be able to use the rest of your current tires worth it maybe? I am not sure who might be able to shave a tire for you, never looked into it personally.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah I was wondering about shaving. I think new they are 8/32. Hard to confirm since they've been discontinued a while. But if that is true, then the difference is 3/32. While more than +/- 2/32s I'm hoping it's minimal enough to be OK as-is.

My other concern about shaving is doing too much. You don't want the opposite problem either, where you pay to shave down to 6/32 and they take it to 5/32 or something.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What’s the date code on the tires? That tire looks dry rotted, so the others would be too.

Also not good for the differentials to have tires of different diameters, even slightly
THIS!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the date code of existing and service guy didn't know (he has to have technician check) but I was able to get them to shave the new tire to 5/32, to match the other side.

23 Posts
Looks like you have already replaced the one. But to consider for the near future. The dry rot comments above are very valid so the other rear is likely nearing trouble as well. There is likely a big grip difference for power down and cornering now left to right now with new and old - regardless of shaving. I would take it easy in that beautiful car until you have a good matching set all around.

Unfortunately, Pirelli seems to have a bit of a dry rotting issue in a fairly short period - ~3 years plus. Is there a set of Michelin PS4S's in your sizes available for your next set?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't have the date code of existing and service guy didn't know (he has to have technician check) but I was able to get them to shave the new tire to 5/32, to match the other side.
If service guy doesn't know, it seems a bit sketchy to me because all official tires passed through DOT are dated. Of course technicians should be knowledgeable, but so should service advisors if my time working at a dealer is anything to go by. It should look something like this:

The last number after DOT, encircled, is the date, which means it was manufactured on the 29th week of 2019. Yours should show something similar.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate the help and insight from you guys. Haha don't be too hard on them, I have this car at my place in the midwest - not my home location of Los Angeles. Not exactly a high volume region for Lambos here.

It's not that the mechanic doesn't know the tire date, he just hadn't communicated it to the service advisor.

Re: Michelin PS4S - Is that what you recommend for when I inevitably have to replace all 4? Lambo dealer proposed replacing all 4 with P Zero Rossa, as that's what the OEM is currently peddling for our replacements. I remember reading too much bad about the Rossa on here a couple years ago.

·
Registered
222 Posts
PS4S seems to be the current holy grail of performance tires for many makes and models. I almost want to say you can't go wrong with them, but I've never personally seen them on a Murciélago, so I shouldn't speak too soon. OEM is always the safest bet.

23 Posts
Normally I would completely agree with @AzusilApps on running OEM being the safest choice (I was a chassis engineer and ride and handling development for 12 years at Ford including the '05-'06 Ford GT), but at this time the Michelin PS4S is fairly superior in steering feel, grip, ride and durability for cars of this nature.

We run the PS4S's on the road in our 2012 R8 V10 and Michelin PSC2's on the track instead of the OEM Pirellis. The PS4S's were a large improvement for the R8.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Normally I would completely agree with @AzusilApps on running OEM being the safest choice (I was a chassis engineer and ride and handling development for 12 years at Ford including the '05-'06 Ford GT), but at this time the Michelin PS4S is fairly superior in steering feel, grip, ride and durability for cars of this nature.

We run the PS4S's on the road in our 2012 R8 V10 and Michelin PSC2's on the track instead of the OEM Pirellis. The PS4S's were a large improvement for the R8.
The other issue is the tire diameter for the primitive all wheel drive system in the Murci. So the a better quality tire is not the only consideration for the safest choice, unless the car has been converted to 2WD.

23 Posts
The other issue is the tire diameter for the primitive all wheel drive system in the Murci. So the a better quality tire is not the only consideration for the safest choice, unless the car has been converted to 2WD.
Understood...I intended original equipment sizes, but didn't note this explicitly. And asked above if the PS4S's were available in the stock sizes for this Murci. I am not positive on this part.

23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep our rear are huge- 335/30ZR18

Whit out - Corsa are discontinued. That's what I'm on now. So you're saying that today one should go with Rossa? I've just read a lot bad on them, here and elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.