Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this subject has been beaten up repeatedly but I'd probably be looking for a response from someone who has come from a rear wheel drive 911 and done the conversion on a Gallardo. I loved the handling of my 997 Carrera S (rwd) but do admit it scared me a few times hopping around in the back there, usually on an aggressive on or off ramp with a bump somewhere through the turn. (NOTE: I have never tracked a car so I am by no means a 'competitive' driver, pleasure seeking only)..... So far I have been truly amazed by how this Gallardo outperforms my old Porsche but am afraid to go backwards in terms of handling in doing the conversion...or, should I say, take some of the confidence away that an 'average' driver gets with AWD !! The RWD 911 is a great handling car so will the RWD Gallardo still outperform it. Another NOTE: I will never drive this car on wet pavement so that aspect is not relevant. I do not like the clunky feeling the AWD gives this car at low speeds and parking lots and turning. You could say try it out and change it back if it doesn't work but I'm doing Swift springs and conversion together with the alignment afterwards and hoping to do it only once.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My friends previous G was RWD converted and he had no complaints other than having to be a little more careful when rolling on the throttle in the corners. My G is AWD and I'm gonna keep it that way in case I get in a scary situation where the front tires gotta pull me out of trouble :LOL:

Ultimately, I would ask you what your driving style is. If you like to blast out of corners and exit ramps, having the extra grip might be nice if the back end gets squirrely. As for straight line speed I thought I saw a post saying the front end can be a little bit floaty when you're really going fast (but not a problem at normal/spirited speeds).

The RWD conversion would definitely help with the clunkyness at low speeds though!

·
Registered
08 SL #07008 in Nero Noctis
92 Posts
also thinking about this conversion on my 08 superG. This is being done as we speak on my 1000hp 996tt but I am adding an LSD. These preLP Gs didnt seem to (pls correct me if wrong) with a LSD in any SE models or anything. I would want to add one to this car with how wide and large it is, you really dont want just one wheel spinning coming out of a corner.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
They did change things up for the LP550-2 model. By locating the rear transmission they must mean they deleted the front wheel drive system. The LP550-2 does share power evenly to the rear tires.

"Lamborghini has relocated the transmission to the rear axle, resulting in a 43-57% front-rear weight distribution to maximise controlled oversteer. New springs, dampers, stabilisers, tyres and even the aerodynamics were also adjusted to help change the power flow."

"A 45% limited slip diff was redeveloped for the rear-axle and adjustments were made to the ESP system. The CORSA program allows the LP550-2 to stretch it’s power-sliding legs a bit more than the standard program."

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have not had any problems with the RWD conversion. It’s so awesome! I don’t track or race, just spirited driving. It’s lighter so I think it’s also a little faster than AWD. No issues with the rear end stepping out but I don’t try to crush it. Hope that helps, I would totally do it.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I have not had any problems with the RWD conversion. It’s so awesome! I don’t track or race, just spirited driving. It’s lighter so I think it’s also a little faster than AWD. No issues with the rear end stepping out but I don’t try to crush it. Hope that helps, I would totally do it.
I agree. I couldn't imagine having anything but RWD.

·
Registered
LP 550-2 Spyder | FI Titanium exhaust | Swift Sport Springs | Fabspeed ECU Tune
78 Posts
I'm happy with my 550-2. Previously had a 2006 Gallardo SE (AWD), and the steering was heavy on that fella. Now that I have the 550-2, the steering is lighter, and it is much easier to maneuver the car.

I don't drive as aggressively with the 550 though. It's all personal taste. My next car will likely be AWD, so I can go harder on the corners and highway bends.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys Gents. Everybody had something to say that made sense. I don't 'think' I push the cars, drive as aggressively as I used to. Haven't had an accident in 15 years so I know I do drive more defensively... probably due to all the ones I DID have. All things point to doing the conversion. GreyFox's concern about getting into a 'scary situation where the front tires gotta pull me out of trouble' which is still a concern of mine... BUT, if I find myself getting scared then common sense will have me converting it back. I'm not one for pushing the limits and I would appreciate the benefits Spiderbull described as a 'spirited driver' !!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Note to future readers of this post -- Before I take anything apart, all driveshaft flanges should be marked with a scribe and paint (because paint can wear off). This is so everything goes back in aligned exactly as it came off. This ensures nothing will be out of balance, so no potential for vibration. I was an Auto Tech for 12 years and this was standard procedure. I am keeping the parts to re-install for the next owner, and who knows how many years that could be..... if not sooner......
I put back the AWD on my 2005 G. Got tired of all the wheel spin.
dansken, what brand tires were you running??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Note to future readers of this post -- Before I take anything apart, all driveshaft flanges should be marked with a scribe and paint (because paint can wear off). This is so everything goes back in aligned exactly as it came off. This ensures nothing will be out of balance, so no potential for vibration. I was an Auto Tech for 12 years and this was standard procedure. I am keeping the parts to re-install for the next owner, and who knows how many years that could be..... if not sooner......

dansken, what brand tires were you running??
Brand new L marked Pirelli P Zero.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My friends previous G was RWD converted and he had no complaints other than having to be a little more careful when rolling on the throttle in the corners. My G is AWD and I'm gonna keep it that way in case I get in a scary situation where the front tires gotta pull me out of trouble :LOL:
When I had tracked it back when it was AWD I remember once a GTR owner commented to me that he was surprised how much the rear end would come out on my car I told him that my car didn't have a fancy electronic awd system like his and it doesn't even engage until the rear is already slipping. It does work good in the snow but beyond that since I live in Texas and it snows like once every 3 years even just the benefit of the smoother ride is worth it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I suggest going whole-hog and pressing every advantage of RWD: Get some pricey carbon fiber wheels, from some place like Ceika, some ceramic brakes, most rubber on rear that you can fit, a functional, as in REAL wing, and go as F1 as you can. See if you regret it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hopping around in a corner generally implies that the suspension is too stiff for the condition of the road. You need some compliance to absorb the bumps. On a smooth track, you can run stiffer. Also, how you respond to it makes a big difference. Do you lift off the throttle some or even start to apply brake? That will shift the weight of the car forward and make the rear end lighter and hop even more. Rolling on a little throttle will push weight back and plant the rear. Of course, too much or too little of these things can have different affects, so it depends on how the car feels at the moment on a given surface. If you have an off ramp to try, go around it a dozen times or so trying different things (small smooth movements at first) and see what works. Then you will know what you need to adjust.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the opposite reference. I came from an AWD FBO 996 Turbo, now drive a LP550-2.

I think I had the skittish thing in my 996 that you were describing when hitting a bump mid corner. That was resolved by going to KW V3's. Best mod I did on that car.

Now I have my LP550 which is RWD. With a pretty fresh set of MPS4S's I just don't see the need or AWD on this car. It takes some bad pavement to spin the tires, and I'm someone that likes to get on the throttle asap coming out of a hair pin. So I fully recommend the RWD conversion.

Relevant to this response, my favorite mod to the G has been my custom set of JRZ RS Pro 2 coilovers. The way they soak up bumps while maintaining body control is amazing. Just yesterday I was driving in the TX hill country and hitting some tight turns on pretty poor pavement. I was putting the power down and sticking. I actually like hitting bumpy roads now sometimes just because they give me an appreciation for the engineering in the JRZ's.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I have the opposite reference. I came from an AWD FBO 996 Turbo, now drive a LP550-2.

I think I had the skittish thing in my 996 that you were describing when hitting a bump mid corner. That was resolved by going to KW V3's. Best mod I did on that car.

Now I have my LP550 which is RWD. With a pretty fresh set of MPS4S's I just don't see the need or AWD on this car. It takes some bad pavement to spin the tires, and I'm someone that likes to get on the throttle asap coming out of a hair pin. So I fully recommend the RWD conversion.

Relevant to this response, my favorite mod to the G has been my custom set of JRZ RS Pro 2 coilovers. The way they soak up bumps while maintaining body control is amazing. Just yesterday I was driving in the TX hill country and hitting some tight turns on pretty poor pavement. I was putting the power down and sticking. I actually like hitting bumpy roads now sometimes just because they give me an appreciation for the engineering in the JRZ's.
Couldn't agree more with your statements. My LP560-2 has the same tires and performs in the same way. As you implied also driver skill plays a huge part.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brand new L marked Pirelli P Zero.
What?? 'L' speed rated, didn't know they made them. Great, just so happens the Toyo's that came on it are just about toast, and I already started to invest in a new set of tires. Of course the first two I have here are Pirelli P Zero (I think Y rated) in 325/25-20. The only reason I didn't get the front yet is because of a dilemma I'm having with the size. 245/30-20 is what's on it now but they rub the liner in the rear of the well....which they make in the P Zero but a new tire will rub even worse. The 235/30-20 is what should be on there but they DON'T make it in a P Zero, I would have to go with the P Zero 'Nero' which is a different tread. Now you tell me the Pirelli's suck ??

THE SWIFT SPRINGS FINALLY CAME IN so now I'm getting ready to do the two mods. DEFINITELY doing the conversion based on the majority of positive input. Now just have the tire dilemma to address....................

·
Registered
158 Posts
What?? 'L' speed rated, didn't know they made them. Great, just so happens the Toyo's that came on it are just about toast, and I already started to invest in a new set of tires. Of course the first two I have here are Pirelli P Zero (I think Y rated) in 325/25-20. The only reason I didn't get the front yet is because of a dilemma I'm having with the size. 245/30-20 is what's on it now but they rub the liner in the rear of the well....which they make in the P Zero but a new tire will rub even worse. The 235/30-20 is what should be on there but they DON'T make it in a P Zero, I would have to go with the P Zero 'Nero' which is a different tread. Now you tell me the Pirelli's suck ??

THE SWIFT SPRINGS FINALLY CAME IN so now I'm getting ready to do the two mods. DEFINITELY doing the conversion based on the majority of positive input. Now just have the tire dilemma to address....................
The "L" marking on the Pirelli tires has nothing to do with the speed rating. It stands for Lamborghini. It shows that they are the proper OEM tires for that car.

If you ever measure tires you'll find the 2 brands of tires can be marked the same size and measure different. The "L" shows the are the proper diameter/size.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.