Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having fun changing my oil (‘08 G Spyder) and generally cleaning under the car and getting to know all the little pieces and parts. Under the car, I have seen this eGear hose on other peoples’ cars and it seems to always look about the same condition as mine, but I’m curious if this matters. The hose is very dirty and of course I’m cleaning it but noticed the hose has an outer cover on it that loosely covers a more solid hose on the inside. Can anyone confirm this is normal and not otherwise indicative of needing to be replaced?

also, in that same location are two small rectangular holes shown in this photo under the front of the gearbox. When I looked up into the left or driver side hole I see these parts that are rusty. There is appreciably no rust anywhere else on my car, except for the heads of a few bolts in the engine bay that I have proactively replaced, so any rust much less the amount of this rust is out of place for the rest of the condition of the car. What is this rusty part and does this matter?

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
You're looking at the side of the clutch/flywheel assembly, you can see the clutch material is clean (the dark colored band between the surface rust on the other areas). That surface rust is pretty normal and nothing to worry about as those components are not stainless steel. It does not mean that water got into the bell housing either, as humid air can just as easily cause surface rust over time. Obviously a brand new clutch would not have any rust or corrosion on it, but it's only a matter of time before it does. I still don't get why Lamborghini didn't put a plug on the bell housing holes to keep road debris out of there but I guess it's not an issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are plugs that go into the bell housing, shown on the parts diagram, although with no part number. My 2008 does not have them either. If you really wanted them, you can likely source from Audi or another German manufacturer. Any debris that would get in there would fall out as it is the lowest point, and it is unlikely that anything from the road would make its way into those holes while driving. I suppose if you were driving through deep water, it would help keep the clutch dry - but the surface rust would still be there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are plugs that go into the bell housing, shown on the parts diagram, although with no part number. My 2008 does not have them either. If you really wanted them, you can likely source from Audi or another German manufacturer. Any debris that would get in there would fall out as it is the lowest point, and it is unlikely that anything from the road would make its way into those holes while driving. I suppose if you were driving through deep water, it would help keep the clutch dry - but the surface rust would still be there.
Ah ok, thanks for the info. My 2008 does not have a plug there either. Maybe they've just fallen out over time? I think you're right though, it surely wouldn't do a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your answers.

Spyder owners, any tricks on changing the oil filter on our cars? Coupes have the bonnet that opens to the back making the job much easier while spyder’s bonnets open to the front making getting into the oil filter housing very difficult. The only way I could see getting in there was climbing onto the headers after having removed the tub that the soft top sets in. I am 6‘0“ tall and put the car up on jackstands to drain the oil. I suppose if the car was all the way flat on the ground I could reach into the filter housing, just barely, and not while being able to see it from that angle. Here are some photos. Any other suggestions how to do this job more easily?

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
LOL that looks about right! I put a mechanic's blanket over the rear fender and splay out head first into the engine bay but indeed there is no graceful way to do it. Just cruel where they put the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I did the same thing, basically climbing into the back... I can't remember now how I did it, I do remember being multiple positions. Thankfully, I'm short, haha, so it was not too difficult to move around. Also, no plugs on my 2008 either.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess there’s strength in numbers! This is a plywood platform I built to put on top of my Diablo engine and covered it with carpet, both to not scratch the headers and to make kneeling on it while working long hours more comfortable on my knees. I suppose I’ll use it on my Gallardo!

So, I broke one of the tabs in the oil filter housing that holds the filter in place. Classic rookie mistake! I understand those tabs aren’t exactly necessary and you can balance the filter in while you screw the filter housing on, but knowing I’ll own it for many more oil changes I figured I would just plunk down the money and buy a new filter housing from Glen at AMH. (He gave me a good deal.)

while in there, time to clean everything. I’m perturbed, dismayed, what’s the word, annoyed at just how dirty the engine bay gets! I took the car on a 2,000 mile drive through eastern OR, WA and even into NV this summer and wow, how much dust got into all corners of the engine bay. TLC time well spent tonight.

here’s one spot that touched up nicely- the plastic cover under the very rear of the bonnet had discoloration. I have found Mother’s Back To Black a great moisturizer and restorer ( if used a few times/regularly) on rubber certainly and plastic over time. Here is a photo in progress.

still thinking of red color splashes in the engine bay. I will report back!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.