Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everone

Just been into a local oil distribution store and spoken to a Shell oil company rep to ask him questions about oil for my Diablo.

He told me that he is supplying a well known Lamborghini independent service shop in England with Oil. He told me that the oil that should be in my car should be Semi synthetic and 10w 40. I found this a little strange semi synthetic. But he said as the engines are older the tolarences are bigger so the need of fully was not so important.

Can anyone explain this.

Regards

Carlo

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
What does your car call for? I have not owned a Diablo yet, but all my Lambo's called for Agip Sint 2000 and that is all I use. It's on the factory sticker in the engine compartment. I get it from George Evans in Ohio. It is a blend oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tony, I'm not sure what Evans charges, but you can also get the Agip Sint 2000 direct from American Agip (at americanagip.com or 1-800-SAY-AGIP). I ordered a case (really a double case as 24 1 liter cans is the smallest that they will send) and it was $90 + about $15 for UPS ground shipping. This approximnately $4.50 per liter was significantly cheaper than the previous $8 per liter price I paid from dealers/service shops.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your car and manual are 30 years old and state to use an oil that is 30 years old it does not mean that the oil recommended at that time is the best to use today. This is a common misconception.

That SJ rated stuff from AGIP is now 2 ratings old. The SM is out now, superseding the SL rating. Each more current rating has significant improvements over the last rating. Oils last longer, have better lubrication, less breakdown, less corrosive additives, better buffers, better detergents yet less foaming. They are less toxic to the cats. They somehow leak less than they did at one time. Oil consumption is down. They can absorb more moisture from your system. There is NO reason to use older oils.

It is truly amazing what oils are doing these days.

aehaas

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
aehaas said:
If your car and manual are 30 years old and state to use an oil that is 30 years old it does not mean that the oil recommended at that time is the best to use today. This is a common misconception.

That SJ rated stuff from AGIP is now 2 ratings old. The SM is out now, superseding the SL rating. Each more current rating has significant improvements over the last rating. Oils last longer, have better lubrication, less breakdown, less corrosive additives, better buffers, better detergents yet less foaming. They are less toxic to the cats. They somehow leak less than they did at one time. Oil consumption is down. They can absorb more moisture from your system. There is NO reason to use older oils.

It is truly amazing what oils are doing these days.

aehaas

Do you own a Lamborghini that is less than 5 years old? If so what oil does your car call for?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Matthew C Bauder said:
Tony, I'm not sure what Evans charges, but you can also get the Agip Sint 2000 direct from American Agip (at americanagip.com or 1-800-SAY-AGIP). I ordered a case (really a double case as 24 1 liter cans is the smallest that they will send) and it was $90 + about $15 for UPS ground shipping. This approximnately $4.50 per liter was significantly cheaper than the previous $8 per liter price I paid from dealers/service shops.

Thanks for the tip, I also buy the case of 24 but I have been paying about $40.00 more.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
119 Posts
We own the following: '03 Ferrari Maranello 575, '04 Murcielago as pictured in my profile, '04 Ford Expedition, '01 MB 600 SL and to replace my 600 SEL a custom Maybach should be coming in by the end of December.

In the 575 I use 0W-20 Mobil 1, in the Murcielago 0W-30 but will next try the 0W-20 Mobil 1, in the other cars I have been running 5W-20 regular Pennzoil.

The Murcielago calls for the fully synthetic 5W-40 Agip.

aehaas

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Since the question was about an older V12, use the Spec they noted in the manual, 10W50 Oil is the one you have to choose no matter of the brand.
I use 10W50 of Motorex (swiss oil) and Mobil 1 15W50 in my street cars, the race car receives 10W60 Castrol.
Any car pre-Diablo needs at least 10Wxx oil otherwise your bearings will be washed out!
Also the first Diablo need 10W40 Agip Synt 2000, I personally don't like Agip and take always other brands.

·
Registered
464 Posts
raymond said:
Since the question was about an older V12, use the Spec they noted in the manual, 10W50 Oil is the one you have to choose no matter of the brand.
I use 10W50 of Motorex (swiss oil) and Mobil 1 15W50 in my street cars, the race car receives 10W60 Castrol.
Any car pre-Diablo needs at least 10Wxx oil otherwise your bearings will be washed out!
Also the first Diablo need 10W40 Agip Synt 2000, I personally don't like Agip and take always other brands.

I use the Mobil 1 15W50 on my 98 roadster

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK Ali. I have been reading your posts about oil for quite some time and they make a lot of sense. If I may assume correctly, you recommend that we use the oil with the lowest viscosity number that would produce the factory recommended oil pressure at that rpm.

For example, for my 1972 Espada the recommended oil pressure is 6-8kg/sq.cm. at 6500 rpm and 1.5-2 kg./sq.cm. at 1000rpm. The oil recommended at that time was a 20-50 oil. So if I understand you correctly, I should try a 0-40 oil first and see whether I attain the oil pressures recommended. If I do, next try 0-30 and check the results and then decide accordingly between the 0-30 and the 0-40. If I cannot attain the desired pressure with either I should step up to 0-50(don't think that's available) or 10-50.

I realize that there have been vast improvements in viscosity enhancers over the years but why did the factory at the time recommend 20-50; why not a 20-40 since that was available at the time. Also, we all agree that tolerances were much looser on the older cars than the newer ones. Even if you have adequate oil pressure with 0-30 or 0-40 oil won't it cause more smoke and oil consumption?

I'd appreciate your input.

Nash

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the old days we used oils as the 20W-50 type. It is no longer used. If you need a 50 weight oil when hot then look over my list of recommended oils from FerrariChat:

"My opinion on the motor oils is based on viscosities. By this I mean less honey like at start up temperatures and appropriate for the required viscosity at operating temperature. I broke it down to two classes, 1-Fully Synthetic and 2-Mineral (dino) oils and blends of dino and synthetic. The asterisk is my preferred from each group of very similar products. Remember, all oils are too thick at start up. There is no such thing as an oil that is too thin below 100F. The thinnest motor oil made is still too thick at start up temperatures.

. Synthetic Class:

60 wt:
Redline straight 60 wt racing oil (racing only, acts as a SAE 20W-60 oil)
Valvoline SynPower 20W-50*

50 wt:
Castrol Syntec 5W-50
Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50
Penn Synthetic 5W-50*

40 wt:
Mobil 1, 0W-40*
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-50

30 wt:
Mobil 1, 0W-30*
Penn Synthetic 5W-30

20 wt:
Mobil 1, 0W-20*
Valvoline SynPower 5W-20

. Non-Synthetic and synthetic blends:

60 wt:
Castrol Syntec Blend 20W-50

50 wt:
None recommended - all relatively too thick at start up.

40 wt:
Penn regular Multigrade 10W-40
Valvoline Durablend 10W-40*

30 wt:
Penn regular Multigrade 5W-30*
Valvoline Durablend 5W-30

20 wt:
Penn regular Multigrade 5W-20*
Valvoline Durablend 5W-20

I personally use Mobil 1, 0W-20 in the 575 Maranello and for the first oil change I drained the Murcielago’s 5W-40 Agip and replaced it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. The engine became much quieter. A valve tappet noise disappeared. I may try the 0W-20 next. For all my other cars I use the regular Pennzoil Multigrade 5W-20."

The most common oil recommendation I have seen in high powered engines is the 0W-40.
With time we learned that the thicker oils we used in the post resulted in accelerated engine wear. Experience and further research has brought us back to thinner oils. It is the thinner oils that are giving us longer engine life, less oil consumption, less environmental impact and more BHP. The newer, thinner oils are better in EVERY way especially in older engines.

aehaas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts