Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there!

I have a Countach '25th anna' and after a day of blasting it down the 1/4 mile, i have found that the clutch is slipping.

At first i thought that the clutch had warn, but further investigation shows that oil has leaked onto the clutch. i have used anti oil sprays etc to remove the oil, but the oil still leaks onto the blasted thing! I have been told that there is an oil seal around the crank shaft that has split, causing the problem.

does anybody have any idea to how difficult this job is to fix? or has experianced this problem before?

Anything is a bonus!

Cheers!

Craig

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
my 84 C/T also has a slight oil leak in the same seal. No damage to the clutch but a very slight drip.

Basically it is an engine out job, split the gearbox and engine then change the seal !

I am waiting till later to get mine done but I should think it will have to be done this winter. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for your reply! its good to know im not alone out there!

I have been told that in order to remove the engine, u need to jack the car up to a 45 degree angle, but looking at a few posts on here, that isnt essential.

Do you think that the job can be done from home? i have access to ramps, but will need to hire a crane. i have no information on torque settings etc, will i need any of this information when putting the clutch and bottom half of the engine back together!? also.. where can i get hold of a new seal?

need to keep costs down! :(

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heya ramond, thanks!! that thread is a big help! will look into the gear box! would be a more desirable problem to have!!

Well, i have to be honest, its not actually my countach, its my dads, but i took it down the 1/4 mile and was one of the best days of me life! i mean if u have a sports car, why not eh!!? its kinda what it was designed for! that an the gals eh? ;) (i wish)

its just that this problem is either gonna cost alot or not alot, an i kno which i'd preffer it to be!

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Craig,

any oil leak coming from the BellHousing area requires a Engine Trans pull to repair. However I suspect your clutch is slipping because it needs (needed before the burnouts) an adjustment, not oil. It could be to late for adjusting to help?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey there itadmin, thanks for your help! i have been told by my dad that the clutch is self adjusting? therefore adjustment wouldnt have been required? however, i have no idea about adjustments etc! so could mean anything!

What does an engine trans pull mean? trans = transmission i should imagine! but still no clue! i seem to be sure there is something to do with oil. on the underneath of the car there is a small hole which exposes the clutch that has been used to try and clear the what we believe to be oil on the clutch. and from what i gather there may be.

are you suggesting that it could be the case of the clutch being no more!?

Thanks

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
craggers said:
are you suggesting that it could be the case of the clutch being no more!?
That is highly likely. The lambo clutches are very sensitive to this type of "abuse". A couple of runs at the strip are generally very expensive. But the point is totally moot due to the oil.

In very simple terms, odds are that any oil leak onto the clutch will require the engine to be removed. The clutch is in the middle of the engine block and transmission and CANNOT be got at without removing the whole shabang ie the engine, clutch and transmission as one whole piece.

In my opinion this is not something an average home mechanic should be doing. But as you probably can see from this list, there are a couple of folks that can and have done this and whose advice I'm sure you could use.

-mick

PS I'm sure others would also support me in saying that when your engine comes out, you should also replace the clutch or at least seriously consider it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we had 8 runs all together. i had 5, me dad had 3.

the best time we had was.. 13.428 seconds that finished at 108.43mph by my dad!

I had.. 13.729 seconds that finished at 111.11mph,

so me dad beat me finishing at a slower speed! but neither of us are proffessional drivers or anything! was just a chance to get the most out of the car! however, it has kinda cost us with this problem to do with the clutch.

i think we can pull the engine out, we have access to ramps and can hire a couple of cranes. its just when the engine needs to be split in half if it does turn out to be something with the crank seal that we are in slightly more trouble.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
hey there itadmin, thanks for your help! i have been told by my dad that the clutch is self adjusting?
Maybe your Dad forgot to read the Owners Handbook & the Work Shop Manuel?? :confused:

Quoeting Directly from 89 1/2 Countach WSM:

ADJUSTING CLUTCH PEDAL FREEPLAY:

Clutch Pedal Freeplay is Adjusted at the Slave cylinder (fig: 2). The acceptable amount of clutch pedal freeplay should be 1/4".

1- Raise Vehicle

2- Loosen Lock Nut on Slave Cylinder plunger rod.

3-Turn Plunger Rod until obtaining acceptable amount of peddle Freeplay.

4- Tighten Lock nut and lower vehicle

same applies for Diablos!!!!!

I have to admit I don't read theinstuctions on a VCR myself, but some instructions are actually worth reading...:)...Lamborghini instructions probably fall into the worth reading colum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heya jrv, my dad hasnt got a workshop manual, so that could possibly be the reason for this over look! i shall get him to look at that! Spose its an ebay job for one?

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The same thing is also described in the owners manual :whip:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks JRV, we havent got either of the manuals, so will definatly be geting my hands on a workshop manual before we try anything rash!

Thanks

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts