Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I have a 2005 6 speed manual with 16k miles. So I took my car in for an AC issue into our Local Utah Exotic Sports Car Dealer since we don't have a Dealership yet and they found a small oil leak snd this is the quote they sent me. Says I have a small oil leak from front of engine and says its very common in the older Gallardos. Recommend Replacing the O Ring and Oil Pipe Gasket. I didn't even notice a leak ever as it must be a very slow one and I still have most/all of the oil thats safe for driving.

Has anyone else has this issue before, do I need to fix it being such a small leak or can it easily be fixed on my own or you recommend I just get it fixed now while they have it in the shop? And s $1,100 for this repair reasonable? See attached quote and photos and thanks in advance for any advice/experience offered.

Quote details

ACTIVE OIL LEAK ON Bottom Front of Engine

LaborHoursRateTotal
FOUND THE BOTTOM FRONT OF THE ENGINE HAS OLD AND NEW OIL DEPOSITS ORIGINATING FROM THE TOP OF THE ENGINE. RECOMMEND REPLACING THE OIL SEALS FROM THE FILTER HOUSING AND OIL TUBE ON THE TOP OF THE ENGINE UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AS A FIRST STEP.6.50$165.00$1,072.50

PartQtyRetailTotal
O-RING
N91104101
1$5.04$5.04
OIL PIPE GASKET
07L115359
1$22.14$22.14

Subtotal
$1,099.68
Est. Tax
$85.23
Job Total
$1,184.91
D2226F54-39B4-4FE4-B2A5-2001F7652CF5.jpeg
FEB0151B-0874-4220-93D8-1413AB0FF234.jpeg
A1F5C2D1-15C2-4DFA-8ACB-7844A2A54FE5.jpeg
CEB99EC5-6140-4054-AA55-1CC16728BDEF.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in this same area replacing a separate gasket for the oil filter housing a few months ago and decided to replace the O-ring to the oil pipe and the gasket that connects the tube while I was there as preventative maintenance. The main issue I've read about is that the little O-ring at the front gets crushed with old heat cycled rubber and eventually leaks. I can confirm when I pulled mine out that it was pretty flat and would have been leaking given a little more time. It can leak a lot of oil from what I've read given the right circumstances. Yours seems to just have a good amount of seepage right now though. I'd replace it personally for the peace of mind. They are quoting you around 6.5 hours and it took me longer to do it myself. I would guess if I had to go back and do it again having done it once that's pretty reasonable. You have to remove the entire intake manifold and a lot of hard to get to bolts. Not hard by any means, but it is time consuming.

Below is a how-to guide that I put together that includes the steps to do what you're trying to accomplish. If you're comfortable working on cars it's not that bad of a job. Happy to answer any questions.

DIY - Oil Filter Body Gasket & Oil Pipe O-Ring...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in this same area replacing a separate gasket for the oil filter housing a few months ago and decided to replace the O-ring to the oil pipe and the gasket that connects the tube while I was there as preventative maintenance. The main issue I've read about is that the little O-ring at the front gets crushed with old heat cycled rubber and eventually leaks. I can confirm when I pulled mine out that it was pretty flat and would have been leaking given a little more time. It can leak a lot of oil from what I've read given the right circumstances. Yours seems to just have a good amount of seepage right now though. I'd replace it personally for the peace of mind. They are quoting you around 6.5 hours and it took me longer to do it myself. I would guess if I had to go back and do it again having done it once that's pretty reasonable. You have to remove the entire intake manifold and a lot of hard to get to bolts. Not hard by any means, but it is time consuming.

Below is a how-to guide that I put together that includes the steps to do what you're trying to accomplish. If you're comfortable working on cars it's not that bad of a job. Happy to answer any questions.

DIY - Oil Filter Body Gasket & Oil Pipe O-Ring...
Thank You Soo Much this is very helpful. I will probably just end up having the shop do it as Im not as handy as you are and limited on time, but your response helps me understand that if I don't fix it now Im going to have to do it later regardless.

Another issue they found as you can see in the photos is a coolant pipe leak. That one should be easier to repair myself I think. They want $550 for doing it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're welcome!

I can't personally attest to the coolant issue, but a lot of guys on here claim this happens every spring to their cars. They just simply tighten all the clamps and good to go another year from what I understand. There are a few posts about this if you search "coolant leak". As a result, I plan to tighten mine or make sure they are snug each year as well to hopefully avoid the issue. From what I am told the rubber coolant pipes expand/loosen a bit with the cooler or hotter weather and allow coolant to drip out. The last guy who owned my car also had this issue and his mechanic just tightened the clamps too. Good as new! Only hard part is having a lift to get under the car, as it's not accessible with the car on the ground.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You may want to look at your front main seal as well (behind the crank pulley). I thought this was my issue but as above it ended up being my oil filter housing gasket. While up there i replaced the three gaskets that are part of this system. Parts were cheap but labour was pretty expensive from the calls I made. I am mechanically inclined and did the work myself. Wasn't hard at all but did take a bit of time (I also was trouble shooting the leak and trying to figure what it could be.

I would check the top of your engine (behind your oil filter) with a flash light and see if you can see any oil sitting in the top of the V. I believe mine was leaking slightly for a long time and then I hit some loose gravel taking off last spring and reved the engine of the rev limiter and saw a puff of smoke. Then my small leak became massive. If you do a search I created a thread about it you can reference for more details.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,330 Posts
RUXpin, you are certain it is engine oil? Your first and third photos don’t necessarily look like engine oil, at least from my phone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
He didn't mention it in his original post with the photos, but a few posts above he also mentions a coolant leak they found. I assume that's the clamps loosening that just need to be tightened, but hard to tell from the limited photos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya your correct. Photo # 1 is the A/C Schrader Valve Cap that is causing a Refrigerant Leak and 2-3 is the Hose and leak for coolant. Last photo is of the oil leak. I decided to green light the Oil Leak to get that taken care of now and then also replace the AC Schrader Valve. Still a $1,500 bill but won't have to worry about it. Wish I was as handy as you guys to be able to get in there and take the engine apart and fix the oil gaskets myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts