Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Sorry if this is bringing up an old topic but I couldn't find a thread in the last few years on this. I'm curious what engine oil everyone is using on their diablo nowadays? The manual recommends an AGIP 10W/40 but this is 30 years old advice and there's been a huge improvement in oil since then. Would it be better for the car using something lighter or stick with the original spec? I'll not be driving it hard for long periods or using it in freezing temps

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Also does anyone know roughly how many litres are between the min and max on the dipstick? Mines currently below the minimum but just wanted to get an idea of how much needs to be topped up

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I use Mobil 05W/50,
My car runs bit warm (some do for no reason) so I use little higher warm side. But "W" ie. cold start should be as low as you can find, so oil will roush quickly through.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,330 Posts
Stephen to answer your question, I believe the gap between the min and max holes is one liter. If you are below the bottom, I know you can put at least one L and wait a few minutes to check the level out. I prefer checking when engine is slightly warmed up.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Though people may not think oil plays a big part in performance. Specific oil for older cars not only preserves and protects, but also helps with oil running cooler and overall performance

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
240 Posts
Last oil change before I purchased my car used Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w50. High zinc content. Living in south Texas and considering how hot these engines run, anyone see an issue with running this heavier weight?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Last oil change before I purchased my car used Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w50. High zinc content. Living in south Texas and considering how hot these engines run, anyone see an issue with running this heavier weight?
Cold ie. start value of 20 is too high in my opinion, It has nothing to do climate you live, because all cars start in cold.

This is good read for everyone:
Motor Oil 101 | Lamborghini Talk (lamborghini-talk.com)

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Interesting read. I did think the winter weight was awfully high. I've never used 20 in any car before. Possible cause of my starting issue??
You need to see how your oil pressure looks during startup and warm and got with what factory manual. I have problem that oil pressure is way too high during startup, even with 05w
I can not see that oil could affect starting problems, starter more power, but oil affect wear, thick oil will not flow bearings long way , remember that oil thickness got nothing to do how good oil holds oil film between metal parts, best ones today are 00w20 or so.

(there more more parts to that link, but links have got lost, do search for "oil 102" and "oil 103"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks All! Very interesting read on the articles by aehaas, will definitely start switching to lighter weight oils

Stephen to answer your question, I believe the gap between the min and max holes is one liter. If you are below the bottom, I know you can put at least one L and wait a few minutes to check the level out. I prefer checking when engine is slightly warmed up.
Thanks Clyde! very helpful information

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cold ie. start value of 20 is too high in my opinion, It has nothing to do climate you live, because all cars start in cold.

This is good read for everyone:
Motor Oil 101 | Lamborghini Talk (lamborghini-talk.com)
Very enlightening. I admittedly skimmed through some of the numbers discussions, but now the fact that I have 20W in the car now definitely concerns me. Peculiar that the shop (known for working on Lamborghini's in the PNW) would use this. Even if they subscribed to the notion that 'oil thins', I would think they would use an 0W or 5W-xx in that colder climate. Last oil change was 7-8 months ago and probably not even 150 miles, but I'm thinking I should probably do it sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Here in the Seattle area Josh at Veloce motorsports recommends 20 W 50. For a track day or racing, I agree, but for every day use which is the vast majority of my driving I disagree (I neither track that car nor race it). My garage is cold most of the year and I like Mikael prefer lighter weight for the initial start up. I have switched to 5W 40 though admittedly on spirited high temperature high rev runs you probably want 50 weight.

switching from 20W50 to 5W40, on start up and during warming up cycle, I noticed it went from eight and nine bars pressure down to 6 to 7. When fully warmed up, at idle like a traffic light it’s all the way down to about three.

temperature, on the other hand, is persistently higher than I would like it at about 100-110 Celsius during winter and this last weekend, but in the summer I noticed as high as 120. Per the VDO gauge, anyway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here in the Seattle area Josh at Veloce motorsports recommends 20 W 50. For a track day or racing, I agree, but for every day use which is the vast majority of my driving I disagree (I neither track that car nor race it). My garage is cold most of the year and I like Mikael prefer lighter weight for the initial start up. I have switched to 5W 40 though admittedly on spirited high temperature high rev runs you probably want 50 weight.

switching from 20W50 to 5W40, on start up and during warming up cycle, I noticed it went from eight and nine bars pressure down to 6 to 7. When fully warmed up, at idle like a traffic light it’s all the way down to about three.

temperature, on the other hand, is persistently higher than I would like it at about 100-110 Celsius during winter and this last weekend, but in the summer I noticed as high as 120. Per the VDO gauge, anyway.
Veloce is the one that did the last oil change, so they clearly have reasoning behind doing this on all the cars. Any idea why they use the thicker oil, particularly up there where the winters aren't exactly mild?

I do not know why, but some cars run hotter and some run cooler, that why I open up my oil thermostat and changed it 6.0 version with 6.0 temperature sensor, but no change. Oil is around 90 to 110 celsius. Some cars run 80C

My Diablo thread, fixing and service | Page 28 | Lamborghini Talk (lamborghini-talk.com)
My car seems to be on the hot side. 80 degrees out, highway driving, oil temps a few ticks above 80. But when I get on it a bit or with higher revs in a lower gear, temps rise to between 90 to a bit over 100. Think I should probably go 5W/50 as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
20W-50 gives much better hot weather performance. I used 20W-50 race oil in all my cars as I'm not starting and stopping them frequently and in CA it rarely gets that cold. I was more worried about high temperature performance than start-up performance since the cars don't sit that long.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Climate has nothing to do with oil, "cold" kind of means "cold engine" before metals have got to operating temperatures.
And key point on oil are 05w-50 and 20w-50 have exactly same flow value when hot.

Only difference is that 05w will flow much faster and protects engine better during start up.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
my manual states 10w40 in one spot and 5w40 in the supplement, FWIW.

I don't like hitting 120c in my oil in the summer, which happened at least twice last year. (Oil on the dipstick never burned or smelled, though, unlike my front diff in my other posts on that topic. 120c is technically not in the worry-zone, but still). I am not sure what to do, but I think I may attempt to deep clean the oil radiator fins, maybe with a pressure washer, possibly take it out and try to purge the lines within the radiator. Mikael, I'm willing to wager that the oil radiator's copper tubes' elbows/90's and welds are not that exacting among cars such that some may have a slightly constricted diameter at certain spots and others don't. This also would explain higher start up oil pressures. Or it could be the gauges just are not that accurate. Either way, this bugs me about my particular car and makes me more cautious and nervous driving in hot summer temps.

Anyone care to guess on the risk/reward/complexity of adding a larger oil radiator, the same size radiator but with larger diameter tubing, or even a second oil radiator in the system? I've read many threads here on adding an oil cooling fan, but so far none seem worth the effort. Paul in Germany stated no clear improvement, nor to my recollection Mikael.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I (remember, didn't find picture) oil cooler is aluminium Setrab and would not think those have flow issues, thought also they might. I have double oil temperature gauges and with oil temperature sensor I swap them, no change.
Only thing left, what I can see, is inside engine.

Many cars run hotter without issue, that I think is fair to notice and as long as water side keeps things as they should , there is no issue.
Murcielago they ditch oil cooler and used heat exchanger insted.
What made most affect was use SE30 lower waterpipe, where water radiator fan gets value from return water, after radiator have done it's work, so coolant thermostat does not compete with radiator fans and I think that half amout of time radiator fans run and they do not run while car is moving.
(Note there are two brass sensors, upper one, the original, on radiator next to warm water coming from engine and SE30 after radiator going back to engine.)

Here are both. rare item.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Thank you, Mikael. Interesting idea on the SE30. After I did all my coolant hoses and thermostat last summer, my water temp is 85-90c max and fans kick on reliably, so your comments give me reassurance that hotter oil should be OK as long as the engine water is staying in range. Still, I'll explore the oil rad fins and see if any improvements can be made. Hope you are well and have Spring soon!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts