Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are already how to articles out there on changing the oil in a Gallardo. However, I wanted to post my pictures for anyone else who may be specifically looking to do this on a 2007 as some of the pictures from what I found online varied slightly from my configuration. This is not meant as a how to guide but more as a supplement with my pictures.

I followed this guide but with my updated pictures below - Gallardo Oil & Filter Change

First step is to hold down both buttons at the same time that close/open the top of the car. This lifts up the back.

There is a special tool you can buy on Ebay or Amazon for about $50 that allows you to take out the oil filter housing. You're going to need this.

The first thing I did was take off the air filter housing. I needed to clean the K&N air filters anyways so this was a good time. I also degreased and cleaned the housing assemblies and set them to the side.

I have read you can do this without taking off the throttle assemblies. While this may be true it was tight in there and it was only 4 allen screws so I removed them, degreased them, and set them aside.

You now have the air filter housing and throttle assemblies removed. If you look closely at this picture below in the bottom center there is a plastic 4 wire connector which is mounted to a metal bracket. This metal bracket can be loosened and then swivels to either side. It took me forever to figure out how to get enough space to remove the oil filter housing until I discovered this. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove it at first.

You can't really see the filter by looking over the engine but I was able to angle my camera to get a picture of it.

You can now use the tool to reach in and loosen the oil filter housing and remove it. I would also recommend putting some oil rags in there to catch the drips so they do not burn off later and cause it to smell up the car. Everything else can be followed in the original manual. Like I said just wanted to provide my experience and updates to the original post which was very helpful.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Welcome to oil change hell on a Gallardo. Lol. The filter is a pain for sure. That little plastic 4 wire clip simply slides off that metal bar. If you just wiggle it and push it towards the passenger side it just pops off. The filter housing is tricky to get out for sure but with some trial and error it comes out. Funny your throttle bodies have allan heads on them. On my 06 they were just flat head screws. What wrenches did your 2 drain valves underneath have?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to oil change hell on a Gallardo. Lol. The filter is a pain for sure. That little plastic 4 wire clip simply slides off that metal bar. If you just wiggle it and push it towards the passenger side it just pops off. The filter housing is tricky to get out for sure but with some trial and error it comes out. Funny your throttle bodies have allan heads on them. On my 06 they were just flat head screws. What wrenches did your 2 drain valves underneath have?
So the metal bracket was still in the way even after sliding off the plastic connector. Not sure if that was from the last person that changed the oil or what happened there.

The weird thing about the drain valves was they were different but both allen heads. I forgot to take a picture of them. The one closer to the center of the car was a 12-point star which I found to be weird. I think the one in the rear closer to the driver side(if I remember correctly) was a 6 point allen. I honestly don't remember the sizes except they were large and pushed to one of my biggest allen heads I had in my set.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The engine drain plug from the factory is an M10 Triple Square Spline Bit Socket. Attempting to use anything else can strip it and you're screwed.
The sump drain is a hex head. It is possible however they have been changed to hex heads, but from the factory it is an M10.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The engine drain plug from the factory is an M10 Triple Square Spline Bit Socket. Attempting to use anything else can strip it and you're screwed.
The sump drain is a hex head. It is possible however they have been changed to hex heads, but from the factory it is an M10.

Twin. Those tools look way too clean. You need to get under those orange beauties and get your hands..... And your tools dirty lol

Of course my set of triple squares look like new too as somebody changed the triple square plug to a hex on my G.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Twin. Those tools look way too clean. You need to get under those orange beauties and get your hands..... And your tools dirty lol
LOL Ozzir...that's an Amazon shot where I bought the WHOLE DAMN KIT to get ONE SOCKET because no where was the right size posted. :eek:
So mine is as clean as yours probably forever too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention the oil. I purchased Castrol 5w40 from Amazon. Currently comes with a $10 off coupon for every 6 quarts. You need 10 quarts so place 2 separate orders and use it twice!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
LOL Ozzir...that's an Amazon shot where I bought the WHOLE DAMN KIT to get ONE SOCKET because no where was the right size posted. :eek:
So mine is as clean as yours probably forever too.
HAHA. We have the same disease. Why buy only the tool you need when you can buy the whole damn set??? Im like a kid in a candy store in the tool section.. OH Look.. Shiny tool.. Must have.. I have tools in my tool box that I have no idea what they are for.. but they looked so sexy when I saw them and I had to have them ..JUST IN CASE..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No you don't need to. Its not in the way.
Yea if you hold down both of the buttons to put the top up/down then it puts it in service mode which moves the soft top out of the way completely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts