Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many members have their oil analyzed as part of their yearly oil change routine. I have used Blackstone Laboratories for my Porsches in the past and they seem to be pretty thorough and provided a highly detailed report. If you use the service or a similar service has it made any difference and has it been helpful discovering engine issues early?
I have included a copy of one of my reports that I had for the 718 Cayman S if anyone is interested in the format of the report and the analysis performed.

Attachments

Registered
I do this on my equipment and cars I am buying if any doubts to condition. Probably not a bad idea with higher mileage or older especially. It can show problems before you destroy something. The only problem is like early disease diagnosis. It is going to break......... the question is when. Sometimes it is better not to know than worry every time you drive it. By the time it shows up in the oil , you are already on the downslope.

Registered
Never had this done for any of my cars but I do have it done on my aircraft each oil change and send it off to blackstone. They are pretty thorough and they let you know if they see any potential issues. Ill probably start doing this on my cars as well. Like someone said before, its not a bad idea to have it done on any higher mileage cars

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do this on my equipment and cars I am buying if any doubts to condition. Probably not a bad idea with higher mileage or older especially. It can show problems before you destroy something. The only problem is like early disease diagnosis. It is going to break......... the question is when. Sometimes it is better not to know than worry every time you drive it. By the time it shows up in the oil , you are already on the downslope.
My hope is that by identifying a problem early I can mitigate the amount of damage and hopefully reverse the downward spiral. I agree it's not a bad idea for older cars but for new cars as well especially those under warranty. I am hoping that if there is an issue while under the 3 year warranty both the dealership and I will be well positioned and prepared to take appropriate corrective action as soon as possible .....................which could mean engine replacement if need be.
Though, Lee disagree about "better not to know".......always want the news whether good and especially bad as early as possible. ;)

Never had this done for any of my cars but I do have it done on my aircraft each oil change and send it off to blackstone. They are pretty thorough and they let you know if they see any potential issues. Ill probably start doing this on my cars as well. Like someone said before, its not a bad idea to have it done on any higher mileage cars
Yes I think it can be valuable and both the cost ($30)* and the collection method** are reasonable. I especially like the idea of doing the analysis while my EVO is under warranty to identify problems while on Lamborghinis dime.

*Standard Oil Analysis | Blackstone Laboratories

**Gas & Diesel Sampling | Blackstone Laboratories

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The value in getting the Oil Analysis, aside from peace of mind, if and when you sell your car this data/documentation would no doubt be well received by a perspective buyer.

Registered
It is a good idea under warranty.It is probably better to know but will make you overstress about driving knowing there is a problem you probably cant do anything about without pulling the motor. Once you have done that , you might as well overhaul. It is like knowing you are really high risk for Alzheimers . Do you get scans regularly or wait for symptoms? I always look closely at oil I have changed and check with a magnet. I cut filters open if any weird things appear.
It is absolutely essential on an aircraft. (I am a private pilot inactive now) Knowing you have a potential engine failure problem would be critical. Many years ago during flight training, we broke an intake valve on a C152 about 20 miles out from an airport. (The engine would not make over 1500 rpm and sounded like a threshing machine. ) Being a motorhead, I knew it was a matter of time before the engine blew a hole through the piston and seized up. I was PIC (pilot in command)and said lets make an emergency landing while we still have a little power.(Lots of deserted roads below us) We could not climb and were slowly losing altitude. He overrode me and insisted we fly on to the airport. (Over a lake and a freeway)It barely made it. He was really proud of himself for making the airport. I told him he was a ffing dipsh#t and could have killed us both. The engine was trashed and required a total overhaul. I had an angel on my shoulder that day.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a good idea under warranty.It is probably better to know but will make you overstress about driving knowing there is a problem you probably cant do anything about without pulling the motor. Once you have done that , you might as well overhaul. It is like knowing you are really high risk for Alzheimers . Do you get scans regularly or wait for symptoms? I always look closely at oil I have changed and check with a magnet. I cut filters open if any weird things appear.
It is absolutely essential on an aircraft. (I am a private pilot inactive now) Knowing you have a potential engine failure problem would be critical. Many years ago during flight training, we broke an intake valve on a C152 about 20 miles out from an airport. (The engine would not make over 1500 rpm and sounded like a threshing machine. ) Being a motorhead, I knew it was a matter of time before the engine blew a hole through the piston and seized up. I was PIC (pilot in command)and said lets make an emergency landing while we still have a little power.(Lots of deserted roads below us) We could not climb and were slowly losing altitude. He overrode me and insisted we fly on to the airport. (Over a lake and a freeway)It barely made it. He was really proud of himself for making the airport. I told him he was a ffing dipsh#t and could have killed us both. The engine was trashed and required a total overhaul. I had an angel on my shoulder that day.
Wow that is a story with a fortunate happy ending! That clearly was unwise of the other pilot to make that call and place you both at risk not to mention some innocents on the ground caught in the crosshairs.
The oil analysis is pretty inexpensive and at very least I will continue to get reports until the 3 year EVO warranty is no longer in effect but possibly beyond that as well. The Huracan engines appear, for the most part, to be pretty solid but the report will be one indicator of the overall health.

Registered
Thats a good idea. If something goes wrong before warranty is up you can show to Lambo and make them Fix. I would never fly with the instructor again. The FBO was not happy either as their engine was trashed.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a good idea. If something goes wrong before warranty is up you can show to Lambo and make them Fix. I would never fly with the instructor again. The FBO was not happy either as their engine was trashed.
Trashed engine? Boy as far as that other pilot is concerned if Brains were taxed he'd get a Rebate!

Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
Has anyone ever taken an oil sample that shows something is looming but hasn鈥檛 broken yet and gotten a warranty claim fixed? Seems to me they would deny you right away. I鈥檓 willing to bet they won鈥檛 fix anything under a warranty until it鈥檚 actually broken, no?

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone ever taken an oil sample that shows something is looming but hasn鈥檛 broken yet and gotten a warranty claim fixed? Seems to me they would deny you right away. I鈥檓 willing to bet they won鈥檛 fix anything under a warranty until it鈥檚 actually broken, no?
Good question and I am not a 100% sure but probably not. Though, if there are major issues documented in the oil changes and an engine failure that would provide some supporting objective evidence/documentation. There are three possible outcomes: Lamborghini is reasonable, legal remedy or I am sh*t out of luck. In any case, if there is an issue I want to know sooner rather than later.

Registered
Unfortunately most warranties require it actually breaks while under warranty. So probably you are screwed. If you are Russ however and buy a new one every year , they may be willing to trade it in.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately most warranties require it actually breaks while under warranty. So probably you are screwed. If you are Russ however and buy a new one every year , they may be willing to trade it in.
Maybe but, if I am not mistaken, I think @surfah had an engine replacement on his 580 by the dealership that was out of warranty. Sometimes your sh*t out of luck, and then again, sometimes your lucky as sh*t. :giggle:

Registered
Maybe but, if I am not mistaken, I think @surfah had an engine replacement on his 580 by the dealership that was out of warranty. Sometimes your sh*t out of luck, and then again, sometimes your lucky as sh*t. :giggle:
True story. Engine drop 100+ parts dozens of man hours and in the shop for 8 weeks. Zero out of pocket.

Like I say when golfing "better to be lucky than good."

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again $30 for an oil report is worth it to me.......and to offset the financial hit for said oil analysis I have been saving in earnest. ;)

Registered
You are lucky to have a dealership that backs up the warranty. I have found it varies wildly from one to another.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So here is the solution, if my EVO develops cylinder-itis I will take it to @surfah dealership and say I know the man and then there will be nothing but blue skies and clear sailing. :giggle:

Registered
The value in getting the Oil Analysis, aside from peace of mind, if and when you sell your car this data/documentation would no doubt be well received by a perspective buyer.
I send a sample to Blackstone from every oil change I do on my cars with expensive engines. When I sold my 996 Turbo I had 7 years worth of beautiful analysis results. If I was a buyer I would have loved to see that, yet it seemed interested buyers couldn't have cared less. I think only one person who contacted me thought it was great, but he was really more of a curious tire kicker rather than someone ready to buy.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I send a sample to Blackstone from every oil change I do on my cars with expensive engines. When I sold my 996 Turbo I had 7 years worth of beautiful analysis results. If I was a buyer I would have loved to see that, yet it seemed interested buyers couldn't have cared less. I think only one person who contacted me thought it was great, but he was really more of a curious tire kicker rather than someone ready to buy.
The average buyer would probably be unimpressed but if there were a buyer like you or I the report(s) would be well received. Alas, philistines abound! :giggle:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts