Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Like many others, the Diablo was my poster car when growing up and I'm now in the market to purchase one (most likely RWD/VT). I'm only interested in an off-market car where I can have it professionally inspected prior to the purchase.

Please send me a message if you're considering selling your Diablo or know of one for sale for a fair price. I have been tracking the pricing for years and am open to a stock or modified car.

I'm located in Southern California, but willing to travel domestically or internationally for the right car (LHD only). Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Curious why "off-market" versus one that is on BaT (for example), where you have the benefit from owners that chime in and provide comments that you would never get in an off-market environment?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Curious why "off-market" versus one that is on BaT, where you have the benefit of owners that chime in and provide comments that you would never get in an off-market environment?
He’s probably wanting a negotiation rather than an auction. I’d prefer his route as well if I were in the market for one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He’s probably wanting a negotiation rather than an auction. I’d prefer his route as well if I were in the market for one.
I hear you, but unless an owner lives in a cave and off the grid, BaT has become the benchmark for prices or values that can actually be used as a positive negotiation tool. Hagerty and Grundy now use their auction prices as data points to set values and determine policy amounts.

Additionally, as per my point above, the comments from actual owners (not the peanut gallery) is like a free PPI!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious why "off-market" versus one that is on BaT (for example), where you have the benefit from owners that chime in and provide comments that you would never get in an off-market environment?
I would prefer to have some time to go over the vehicle thoroughly before purchasing the vehicle. Most of the comments on auction sites distract from the vehicle and one of the recent Diablo sales on BaT was falsely represented. I'm okay purchasing a car with issues, but the price must be reflect the condition.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would prefer to have some time to go over the vehicle thoroughly before purchasing the vehicle. Most of the comments on auction sites distract from the vehicle and one of the recent Diablo sales on BaT was falsely represented. I'm okay purchasing a car with issues, but the price must be reflect the condition.
I agree with Rice.... I have been watching the auctions for a while before I bought my Diablo. Auctions tend to become emotional and I have heard many times people bid on the cars to drive up the value with no intentions of actually purchasing it. Purchasing the car in person also gives one the ability to inspect the car before purchase without depending on someone's words or As is/where is
Having said this my last purchase was based on emotions anyways unfortunately (lol)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Rice.... I have been watching the auctions for a while before I bought my Diablo. Auctions tend to become emotional and I have heard many times people bid on the cars to drive up the value with no intentions of actually purchasing it. Purchasing the car in person also gives one the ability to inspect the car before purchase without depending on someone's words or As is/where is
Having said this my last purchase was based on emotions anyways unfortunately (lol)
It's difficult not to make an emotional decision when it comes to Diablos. How has your car purchase worked out so far?

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,599 Posts
What 0P is looking for is exactly the person who would not place their car in an auction environment. Not someone who has something to hide but someone who does not want to deal with all the riffraff and the BS associated with putting their car out like that. These are the same people who consign their cars to let the dealer do it, though I must say many dealers don’t do a good job on consigning (they have their own new cars to sell). The auctions are that middle ground but they do require dealing with a deep level of scrutiny that I think many sellers would not want.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
thats true, but any one with half a mind must be tempted by the froth when holding onto an asset like a Diablo. I think the last few high value diablos that went on BAT were brokered (including the VI Murci that just sold for $$ today).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Strikes me an off market car will be more expensive as the buyer appears more eager to buy than the seller has to sell.
Looking for a good value in all the wrong places
The right car is the right car every time. Off market, advertised, at a dealer, or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strikes me an off market car will be more expensive as the buyer appears more eager to buy than the seller has to sell.
Looking for a good value in all the wrong places
The right car is the right car every time. Off market, advertised, at a dealer, or anywhere for that matter.
I appreciate the banter about off/on market and buying from various sources. There are some owners that simply don't want to deal with answering the same questions about their car, so they would prefer to sell it privately or discreetly for a fair price. I would like to find out the vehicle's history and unless the seller is forthcoming at an auction, you won't receive it.

Consignment sales are actually worse from what I've experienced because the dealer is making a small percentage, doesn't know anything about the vehicle, and has to play middle man every time you have questions. I missed out on a car that was on consignment earlier this year because I couldn't speak directly to the seller and get the deal done.

Listed inventory is abysmal, with most vehicles sitting on the market for months until the seller either pulls it from the market or takes a reduced offer.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Which variants would you be interested in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which variants would you be interested in?
I'm interested in all variants as long as they're within budget. It will most likely be an earlier RWD or VT unless there is a great deal on an SV or 6.0. Your Momo Roadster is definitely out of the budget.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,599 Posts
What do you think the current value of a VT roadster in excellent shape would be?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depending on year, mileage, color, accident/maintenance history, I think an excellent VT Roadster could sell in the $250k range.
And what's your thoughts about a 01 Diablo 6.0 Perl Yellow with yellow and black interior less then 18k miles with some history

·
Registered
298 Posts
Depending on year, mileage, color, accident/maintenance history, I think an excellent VT Roadster could sell in the $250k range.
That sounds like "it's been in an accident" and "It has highway miles" money.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I appreciate the banter about off/on market and buying from various sources. There are some owners that simply don't want to deal with answering the same questions about their car, so they would prefer to sell it privately or discreetly for a fair price. I would like to find out the vehicle's history and unless the seller is forthcoming at an auction, you won't receive it.
I don't understand the argument here. You're saying you want to thoroughly inspect the car, have it go to a third party, and this is less hassle for the seller than answering a few questions with a guaranteed sale at the end?

I love the auction format as a seller because I don't get people insisting on crawling over the vehicle for ages then making lowball offers and wasting my time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts