Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Lamborghini VT 2wd, 1994 Ferrari 348 Spider
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 5.7 VT with an OBD II compliant nameplate in the engine compartment, but have been unable to get a reading off the OBD II port. Have tried several readers including 2 recommended by users of this site, but all I get is a "cannot link" notice on the reader. The units appear to try to connect and sort through various protocols, but eventually time out. Data has been pulled from the car using the $20K diagnostic computer from Lambo, but I would expect the OBD II port to work as well. The schematic that I have appears to be completely worthless in tracking the wiring. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non-Functional OBDII

Thanks for your response ****.
Started trying to read data with an older low tech Actron unit. Was not horribly surprised it did not work. Purchased a system from Palmer Performance Supported Vehicles - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. who indicated both on their website and via separate emails that their system would work. Could not get the units to link up, despite signifincant tech support from Palmer. Moved on to local autoparts store who tried a newer, more sophisticated version of an Actron, no luck. Purchased an Equus/Innova 3130 Lamborghini Diablo Scan Tool | Always In Stock - Equus, 96-01 who indicated functionality again, both on website and via separate email correspondance. In addition, this site Diablo OBDII Codes and Scanners indicates prior use of this scanner on Diablo. Still will not recognize protocol. At this point, I tend to believe it is a car issue rather than a reader issue.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
> At this point, I tend to believe it is a car issue rather than a reader issue.

But you said that Lamborghini's diagnostic equipment worked fine, right?

Unfortunately it can be difficult to find the right combination of hardware
and software that communicates successfully with OBD implementations,
especially early ones which predate all the recent standardization efforts.
I wonder if VAG-COM (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com) might do the
trick. No, not because Lamborghini is owned by Audi/VW nowadays... but
because it seems to support all kinds of OBD variations already.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
The OBDII protocol used is ISO 9141. I know the Innova units work fine normally. I sometimes use AutoXray models.

However, my foggy memory is starting to recall that the early 96 models had the OBDII plug but it was not functional.... I'll see if I can find some notes on that. I know that flys in the face of the sticker but....

PS OBD1 was never supported by lambo since they had the LDAS based interface.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
But you said that Lamborghini's diagnostic equipment worked fine, right?
It will always work since its done via the CAN line interface to the two LIE units. OBDII is done via the GFI module under the dash ie two distinct and different interfaces. The OBDII plug routes directly to the GFI module and should be pretty easy to trace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the connector on the dash and checked the wiring going into it. I appear to have (4) pins that are active. Looking at the female half of the plug with the wide side up, I believe the top row is numbered 1-8 from left to right and the bottom row is labeled 9-16 left to right. The connected pins are #8 Black/Yellow Wire, #12 Black Wire, #13 Blue Wire and #14 Red/White Wire. From what I can see for the ISO 9141 protocol, pins 2, 5,7, 10, 15(optional) and 16 should be active. It would seem that I am not even close? Any Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Sounds a bit bizzare.

From what I can see for the ISO 9141 protocol, pins 2, 5,7, 10, 15(optional) and 16 should be active.
Thats not correct. Pins 2 and 10 are for J1850/VPW/PWM protocols and 16 is optional power to the external device (not needed).

Only pin 7 (ISO 9141) along with a ground - preferably pin 5 - are needed. Manufacturer proprietary pins (ie lambo) are 11=SRS, 12=ABS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OBD II Wiring

Have contacted Lamborghini Dealer. Appropriate person to talk to not available at the moment. Will follow up next week to see if there is some re-wiring or adapter that they can steer me toward. Appreciate your input. Let me know if you find anything that I can do to get the port to work.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts