Lamborghini Talk banner

OBD III port and e-gear problem

2088 72
I need to know where they hid, the port for testing on 2008 Murcie. Also, I am seriously considering dropping the dreaded e-gear for the transformation to a 6-speed manual. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
We are sitting in 16-degree temps in the NE. My cars have been winterized and as such, the Murcie has not been run in about 6 weeks. On Sunday, I got in the garage to start it and leave it warm up because of the down time, the car refused to go into gear. Stuck in 1st gear as this is the gear of choice when at rest. I had to go through a number of dry run shifts, engine off to finally get it to shift. After a call to Lambo of NJ, I was told that this is normal for all e-gear autos. They asked if i checked the oil; I had, and it was at the top line ( hydro oil ). The joy of e-gear???? Just another reason for me to get the manual in here.
16- degrees…well, I would not survive. I wouldn’t know anything about that living in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Sunny and a high of 73 today and a high of 70 for tomorrow.

Just curious, would the transmission go into Neutral?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No gear changes at all for many tries. Then, it jumped into neutral from first where I normally leave the car. Since then, I have gone into my garage about 1-2 times per week and it dry shifts from N to 1 and back to R easily. I am wondering, if you guys tried dried shift (no engine, just key on as suggested in the service guide, how far can you get past first? I got to 2 one time, but all others stop at 1 or reverse. Could be a poor pressure problem w/e-gear? It is definitely full of the green oil.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!! In the 50s today, but a beautiful day!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
No gear changes at all for many tries. Then, it jumped into neutral from first where I normally leave the car. Since then, I have gone into my garage about 1-2 times per week and it dry shifts from N to 1 and back to R easily. I am wondering, if you guys tried dried shift (no engine, just key on as suggested in the service guide, how far can you get past first? I got to 2 one time, but all others stop at 1 or reverse. Could be a poor pressure problem w/e-gear? It is definitely full of the green oil.
Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you can get the car sorted out. Sounds like a nice day to be out crusin… I would be out in mine if it weren’t for the rain

·
Registered
76 Posts
A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL indeed!!!

As far as dry shifting, you should be able to go through all the gears; I’m able to go from N to 6th and back down to 1st. I would suspect that it has something to do with the viscosity EGear oil or it being dirty, the standard weight is CS Speed 75W.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What does it take to drain the e-gear oil and refill? Looks like it should be easy but maybe remove pans?

The shifting goes to 1, will not shift past 1 . It reverts to N when tried again. Goes into R, N and ! easily but no further . The weather is bad here so no way I am going out with no top on it in the rain. Going to 6th and back down is that normal?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What does it take to drain the e-gear oil and refill? Looks like it should be easy but maybe remove pans?

The shifting goes to 1, will not shift past 1 . It reverts to N when tried again. Goes into R, N and ! easily but no further . The weather is bad here so no way I am going out with no top on it in the rain. Going to 6th and back down is that normal?
I believe it takes a Lambo computer to bleed the egear system. Not the transmission itself, that's an easy drain and fill-until-spill operation, but the egear actuator system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could also check and make sure that the EGear fluid in the reservoir doesn’t look contaminated. You could just replace the fluid in the reservoir only, but yes, as Stimpy stated above to perform an EGear bleed you will need a LARA-AS system to perform a bleed.

Just curious...if the traction control is OFF, does it allow you to change to other gears?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The fluid in the reservoir looks very clean and there is no residue at the bottom of the tank. The TC is off; I will turn it and the sport mode on to see if causes change.

I have since secured a service manual for the car. There is a bleed control for the clutch but none for the e-gear. These cars are super complex with all kinds of excessive hydraulic lines, etc. The service manual is excellent for observing the differences between the manual and e-gear. It looks like very little but much added complexity to the e-gear system.
I continue to dry shift, getting to 4th gear yesterday. It's cold here today, but I may take it out tomorrow when it hits about 50 degrees. Even with the manual, I cannot find where the accumulator is located. I have searched the Gallardo platform where similar issues have resulted. They seem to point to a bad accumulator. If it's like the hydraulic system in my Maserati, that is usually the bad guy and is reasonable rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The fluid in the reservoir looks very clean and there is no residue at the bottom of the tank. The TC is off; I will turn it and the sport mode on to see if causes change.

I have since secured a service manual for the car. There is a bleed control for the clutch but none for the e-gear. These cars are super complex with all kinds of excessive hydraulic lines, etc. The service manual is excellent for observing the differences between the manual and e-gear. It looks like very little but much added complexity to the e-gear system.
I continue to dry shift, getting to 4th gear yesterday. It's cold here today, but I may take it out tomorrow when it hits about 50 degrees. Even with the manual, I cannot find where the accumulator is located. I have searched the Gallardo platform where similar issues have resulted. They seem to point to a bad accumulator. If it's like the hydraulic system in my Maserati, that is usually the bad guy and is reasonable rebuilt.
accumulator is on the top of the gearbox, like in this pic from ebay.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Thanks very much. I assume it is the small black ball. If so, I believe that it can be changed out from underneath the car. The entire system then needs to be bled which is where the Lambo dealers grin and say, "pay now". My Maserati has two of these, both replaced in a few hours and auto bleed.....that was in 1975 from the likes of the joint venture of Maserati and Citroen. Yes, we have come a long way towards complexity not for the hobbyist any longer.
I now also understand that the entire engine/trans must be removed to service the e-gears other parts. I guess labor means nothing to this designer. Might be easier to cut a hole into the tunnel for an access panel. The Ferrari 360 has one that does well to min. labor charges. I do know that " the wizard" on the you tube series has done so on one of the Hoovie cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe that you should be able to access it by removing the seats and tunnel assembly. But of course, it’s going to want to make a nice mess of things.

What you are referring to as the accumulator is the EGear “storage battery” off the right side of the valve assembly. Issue could possibly a frozen or faulty EGear actuator(s) or selespeed pump…hopefully not the actuator itself at a $10k price tag.:oops:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts