Lamborghini Talk banner

OBD III port and e-gear problem

3078 Views 73 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  doc18015
I need to know where they hid, the port for testing on 2008 Murcie. Also, I am seriously considering dropping the dreaded e-gear for the transformation to a 6-speed manual. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,753 Posts
The ODBII port is under the dash above the gas pedal.

I don’t remember if the 08’s still have the 4 pin Lara port under the passenger side dash, of if they use the ODBII port for everything.

The road to 6 speed conversions is littered with the skeletons of those that have tried and failed, so you have to feel lucky before trying.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
With reference to the e-gear to 6 speed ....in my opinion, it is the only solution to a very poor design hydraulic system (e-gear). Drift Works (You Tube) has accomplished as well as many others successfully and the reward is unmeasurable.
Driftworks didn't really convert the Murci to 6-speed, they basically started over. Check out their video in detail to see if you really want to go as far as they did, including changing the entire engine management system.

Post links to these "many others." I only know of one guy that posted on Facebook that he had it done after a year of hard work, and he was traumatized by the experience.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I’m guessing you also watched the Hoovies Garage video about his LP640 that wouldn’t go into first gear without him having to push to get it rolling :)
Yep! But it's definitely the first thing to check after reading so many posts on here about that being the issue. I've seen what the brake light switch looks like on inside, and I am surprised the delicate little plastic parts don't break every 6 months. Terrible design.

I had never seen any post describing how to get the car into gear by pushing it, so I think everyone with an e-gear should watch that Hoovies video instead of calling a tow truck right away. But I'd also keep a spare brake like switch in the car and practice quick change outs if I had an e-gear.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I’m confident that the E-Gear to 6 speed manual conversion can be done, it wouldn’t be in Lamborghini’s best interest to make the two versions of the car very different. Not to say that it won’t take some work and resources.
Easy changes for Lamborghini engineers to make to things like wiring harnesses and ECU’s become massive mountains to climb for others to reverse engineer since they aren’t keen to publish this info. And parts availability is becoming a real issue since you won’t find many 6-speeds in junk yards given market values keeping them from being totaled, and Lambo themselves are not restocking as much for their older cars.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
Not knowing very much about electronics, does it make sense that the electronics can be reflashed to cooperate with the removal of the e-gear? The rear brake lights, the shift, etc. on the dash.... all should be able to be reflashed . If Lambo made the 6-speed manual, they should know. Does anyone have contact at plant that can help explain?
The changeover should not affect the plant at all .... these are all older autos that need the change.
From looking at the Lambo computer, I have the impression they outsourced the ECU work.You can bet someone knows what is needed, but it might not be someone that is/was employed at the Lambo factory.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
That said, is that why the Lambo factory is hesitating on supplying the assistance? I am personally very disappointed in the factory response. They should be pleased to work with us and see that we are future Lambo buyers and supporters.
I am not surprised at all. I am sure if you saw the financials of how much money they could make working on these types of Murci projects vs working on selling more Urus SUVs, as the CEO, you would haven't your people waste a extra second on the old cars.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
What does it take to drain the e-gear oil and refill? Looks like it should be easy but maybe remove pans?

The shifting goes to 1, will not shift past 1 . It reverts to N when tried again. Goes into R, N and ! easily but no further . The weather is bad here so no way I am going out with no top on it in the rain. Going to 6th and back down is that normal?
I believe it takes a Lambo computer to bleed the egear system. Not the transmission itself, that's an easy drain and fill-until-spill operation, but the egear actuator system.

· Registered
1,753 Posts
The fluid in the reservoir looks very clean and there is no residue at the bottom of the tank. The TC is off; I will turn it and the sport mode on to see if causes change.

I have since secured a service manual for the car. There is a bleed control for the clutch but none for the e-gear. These cars are super complex with all kinds of excessive hydraulic lines, etc. The service manual is excellent for observing the differences between the manual and e-gear. It looks like very little but much added complexity to the e-gear system.
I continue to dry shift, getting to 4th gear yesterday. It's cold here today, but I may take it out tomorrow when it hits about 50 degrees. Even with the manual, I cannot find where the accumulator is located. I have searched the Gallardo platform where similar issues have resulted. They seem to point to a bad accumulator. If it's like the hydraulic system in my Maserati, that is usually the bad guy and is reasonable rebuilt.
accumulator is on the top of the gearbox, like in this pic from ebay.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts