Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am a new member. Last friday failed two inspections on my 2001 and given 10 day grace period to solve "not ready" oxygen sensor and catalyst (2001 is allowed 1 not ready). In between tests did 9 cycles thinking history needed due to stereo install one week prior(possible battery shut off). No luck! Are we talking a reset issue of the computer, sensor failure(O2,Misfire,Lamda), low voltage battery? Stock exhaust was replaced with CDX racing exhaust prior to purchase. Check engine light rarely lights and diagnosis is general misfire (checked with LDAS ). Car running excellent!

·
Registered
17 Posts
did you ever figure this out? I'm having same issue on a 99. failed once with a not-ready after purchase. chalked that up to dealer having battery disconnected. drove another 100 miles or so, kid hooked it up said it was reading ready, turned car off then on, ran test and came up not ready again. car runs fine, no check-engine, etc. not sure if it's truly still not ready and the emissions tent kid was misreading or if my computer is somehow resetting...

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
After doing a complete Battery Disconnect, (taking the ground cable off of the battery post), are you guys running the computer relearn scenario?? "IDLE ONLY" for 10 minutes or at least until the fans come on computer relearn scenario????

Also, if you pull an Oxy Sensor you will find it's simply Bosch, with a Bosch Part # on it that you can buy reasonably priced many different places.

HTH's

JRV

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the quick reply.

I havent tried it - just got the car 2 weeks ago, not very familiar with it yet. I was guessing that battery had been disconnected while in showroom/service. not in front of the car right now but somewhat weathered memory tells me I have battery disconnect switch behind the drivers seat (99 diablo sv, american). will this work in lieu of taking wheel off to get to battery? what is the exact procedure?

thanks,

RSK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Contacted Steve at Al Burtoni's and he said that Lamborghini really never was in compliance on this issue of "not ready". The solution is to drive the car for about 20 miles and take it in for the inspection with the car running and hook up, should read ready ,if not run car 5 miles and retest with engine running. Do not turn car off! Confirms reubenk's expeience

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I hate to dispute...but Diablos were in compliance !!

The Cats definately need to be hot, but the emmision levels of a properly running Diablo are very Low and in Compliance in every state including California.

Yes you must pull the tire and lower fender well to access the Battery Cables, sorry! I didn't design it :eek: !

Clear the Computers and Run the Relearn Program and then go for a run....if you have no check engine lights the car shouuld pass with flying colors unless you have some other issue!

·
Registered
17 Posts
adk2wild - thanks. I'll give it a shot and post the results. let me know if it works for you.

si lambo - thanks for the offer. I'm in GA. If I was in NY I would gladly take you up on it!

if the dont-shut-off-test doesnt do the trick I guess I'm breakin out the lug wrench!

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep. god knows you need that radio when the car is sitting dormant for long periods! (not that mine ever will)

thanks for the info - that answers my question a few posts back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
got it to pass but now sure how...

finally got back around to working this problem - wife had baby boy between my posts!

no amount of driving around seemed to work (shutoff or no-shutoff, highway, city, cold, hot, etc) and it wasnt showing any check engine lights or codes reported so I did the battery disconnect and relearn.

plugged in my cheapo OBDII scanner afterwards and all tests were ready (or N/A) except the O2 and Heated O2 sensor checks - which was ok for me because GA will allow 2 to be not ready but no more. previously had 3, the 2 O2s and the Catalyst.

fired it up the next morning, plugged in again, and everything still looked good - 2 O2s not ready but catalyst was ready. set off down the road to inspection tent and realized I was running on fumes so I stopped for gas. started the car after fueling and catalyst was not ready again. drove around a bit (at least 50 miles, hwy and city) - still not ready. went to work. let it sit a few hours. fired it up again - still not ready. went two blocks down the road - READY! drove 20 miles of highway then rotted in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes - still ready! drove straight to emissions tent (without passing go) and passed with flying colors. the emissions guys were so sick of seeing me they waived the 25 bucks!

the computer relearn and my screaming the proper sequence of obscenities seems a bit like voodoo!

anybody have similar experiences or insight - or do the rest of these cars just pass right on through?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
What year is your Diablo again (CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABY:))

Sounds like you need new 02 sensors (standard Bosch units, just pull one and order by Bosch #, from any Bosch supplier) and after you install the new 02 sensors run another Relearn Procedure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks!

my other baby is a 99 SV.

I havent a clue how to replace the O2 sensors! is it a simple procedure? I'm not afraid to try if it's in a place I cant screw up too bad!

thanks for your help. this board is a great resource.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts