Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was going for a run in the Diablo and it would not start. It would turn over, but not start or hit a lick. It did this once before and I thought it was the stupid alarm system the prior owner installed. I armed and disarmed it several times and it finally cranked. So today when it would not start, I uninstalled the whole alarm system. Come to find out from tracing the wiring of the alarm that it only disabled the starter from a wire in the steering column when activated. So the car still will not start. Will turn over but not start. So then I checked the relay and fuse for the fuel pump. The pump is running when I turn on the key, so I think it is operating properly. I am inclined to think it has something to do with ignition. Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It might be that ignition failure is not from alarm, allthough; everyone should remove one if it is aftermarket, nothing but problems on those.
Check alarm inflicted wires again.

-There are three position sensors; I had one SEN8 brake over night, they are cheap to buy from any other brand car and I have one spare one with my car all times.

-Diablo does not start if AC clutch is not connected.

-See how are things under ignition cap

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it sorted out. Come to find out the lock button on the center console disables something where the vehicle will not start. I thought it was just the door lock button. Still learning this monster..... At least I got all the alarm junk uninstalled. Along with a stereo device that was not even connected to anything....
20210118_181803.jpg
20210118_185457.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, glad I removed it. There was a hot wire that the tape had come off of that started sparking when I was pulling all that junk out. It was wired straight to power without any fuse. Could have burned the car up.....:mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was all under the radio in front of the console. I removed the passenger carpeted panel to access. The speakers were in the engine compartment and there were two sensors under both seats. The Precision Power unit was under the passenger side dash. I had previously turned the knobs and couldn't hear any difference in sound. After pulling it all out, it wasn't even connected to anything....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope I don't have to do that. Already done the evaporator on a E-Class Mercedes and that was a booger.... I do want to replace the expansion valve, & drier, and flush the a/c system and go back to R12. But I think I can get to the expansion valve without removing the dash.
20200117_192350.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I know Mercedes pretty well, but this Lambo is a different beast. Will be a learning adventure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I see an 82 Collector's Edition?

Haven't had major surgery on the Diablo like that yet but the pics above gave me PTSD of a heater core R&R I did in a Range Rover Classic. Yuck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, this car would not start again today. After 4-5 minutes of pushing these three buttons, it hit and started. I do not know if these switches even possibly have anything to do with it or not. Does anyone know if any of these three could possibly cause a no start? After it started, I re-cranked it several times fine.

Mikael82, where are these position sensors (SEN8) you are describing? I just hate to get off somewhere and it not start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing.... What could cause the brake light to come on? Not the parking brake light, but the brake light. Plenty of fluid and pads are fine.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Short somewhere

Check all engine ground straps at rear, one near battery and the ground for the ECU.

make sure battery is charged and healthy.

do you have the workshop manual ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I have a manual. It turns over fine, just like it is not getting fuel or spark.... One or the other. The fuel pump runs though...

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,075 Posts
OldSouth, you are exactly describing a ground issue. You mentioned the lock/unlock buttons and brake lights. I had the reverse issue: no brake lights and issues with the lights buttons in this same switch panel. Chased this for weeks, pulled my hair out, learned new Italian cuss words, took apart the dash looking for fried wires to no avail. Finally boiled down to a burned wiring harness connector in front right of car under the popup headlight assembly. Water/rain dripped in, down, dripped into the 9-pin or was it 11-pin connector and shorted the ground wire. Replaced this connection, and everything immediately worked again. Access this area under the car - you'll see a triangular panel held by 3 screws. (Steve at Driven Exotics remotely diagnosed this for me in less than 30 minutes - props to him).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts