Lamborghini Talk banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
As an FYI,
The first job I got out of college, I was standing on the shipping dock shooting the breeze with the owner of the company. I asked him what were the stack of 24 flatbed scanners doing($5k per scanner).
He said they were field returns and were all bad. I asked if anyone was going to fix them, he said not worth the time and effort. I then asked if I could come in over the weekend and try to fix them. He then said for every 4 I fixed, I could keep 1.

well, my brother and I spent that weekend working on them. Took us around 3 hours to figure out the power supplies in the units had blown capacitors. Swaps out all the caps with higher rated caps and fixed them all.

that next Monday, the owner was stunned, along with my coworkers. I walked out of there with 4 good units, or about $20k of ‘goods’. Note: the owner didn’t let me have a 5th unit, what a cheap skate! ☺

·
Registered
37 Posts
It really is frustrating that someone would try to pull this. I’ve spent literally hours looking over the electrical prints to help out others on the forum. As well as myself in case my alarm fails. The whole point of these forums is to help and educate each other on these cars. Not to try to turn a hefty profit. My rant is over lol...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
It really is frustrating that someone would try to pull this. I’ve spent literally hours looking over the electrical prints to help out others on the forum. As well as myself in case my alarm fails. The whole point of these forums is to help and educate each other on these cars. Not to try to turn a hefty profit. My rant is over lol...
I completely agree! It was a real insult to try to charge 3 times the price of a new unit, especially when that unit would normally cost around $30 for a regular car instead of the Lambo taxed $1200.

What's even worse than this guy is when vendors masquerade as regular forum members to avoid paying forum sponsorship fees, and then work hard to stifle innovation by throwing shade on new ideas so they can lure more people into buying their overpriced merchandise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyway anyone interested send me a DM but if you wanna bi*ch and moan about how it's so unfair then figure it out yourself. You guys posted 8 pages of bs here without a real outcome or results other than butchering the fuel valve solenoids. I have found an electronic solution which works at least on my car without a touch of mechanical work if you don't think this is worth anything and I should go f* off you're entitled to your opinion, but stop with asking for charity and divine intervention.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't believe anyone complained about your proposed repair to be unfair but they are free to discuss the price and offer their opinion as to the value it offers. You are already skirting the commercial TOS of the website by offering a service without being a sponsor so a little humility is in order rather than telling potential people who are not willing to pay your price to F Off.

Reactions: Stimpy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please re-read my comment I didn't tell anyone to f off. The hostility is just mind boggling, I have a way to fix this for a price, which part of this shows lack of humility? If this means I should be banned from this site then go right ahead, I was hoping this would benefit someone who might be in my position before I spent so much time fixing mine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You haven't found jack ****, you've basically said let me buy a new MED for you and swap parts. Okay, well anyone can do that, but what would be the point, when you now have a new MED you could use instead. If you actually cared about fellow owners, you'd post the supposed solution, and if you don't, then you are worthless. Some of us here are here because we love the marque and love to help fellow owners; you apparently aren't.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
You cannot just get a new MED, it has a code that is synchronized with the fuel solenoids, they also need to be replaced.
False, if you have the PIN card, you can program the new Med to the existing fuel valves. Many do have the PIN card.

If you don't have the PIN card, you falsely describe the solution as "butchering" the fuel solenoid valves (let me guess who you voted for). It's a matter of simply replacing a plumbing item with same Lambo parts that are good enough for a Diablo. The fuel cutoff valves are not worth saving since the car still has door locks, alarm system with siren, an ECU cut off, and a starter cutoff.

If you want new valves, a package deal of a new MED with new key fobs and 2 new fuel valves can be purchase for less than your "solution," and it's just not that bad of a job removing the fuel valves, which are more of a failure liability than anything useful for stopping thieves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said Stimpy. Of course, if you have the PIN and order a new MED this is a non-issue really, but that wasn't the case for me. Also if you're Ok with ordering a new MED with the fuel cutoff vales and have them replaced then that is a viable option, but I didn't want to pay that cost ($2.5k just for parts?) + labor. Finally, butchering is my preferred word if you're going to bypass the valves, that is the word I'll use, I was not going to let that happen to my mercy. Again, I'm not twisting anyone's arm, if you don't want a simple (yes simple) electronic-only (no mechanical, hence no labor) solution then be my guest, but that's my solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Holding back the community by withholding information is the unfortunately norm. As more true enthusiasts own these cars the information will get out one way or another.

SMH... getting murci/diablo wheel offsets and center bore size just to order some wheels was a nightmare. So many people held onto that simple information to monetize. I found it and have posted it publicly. Same will happen here. We'll figure it out... we always do.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I replaced my med and valves (since prior owner didn't include the PIN) and it was less than $4k inclusive of labor at a Lambo dealer. Had I known, at the time, that I could eliminate the valves, I'd have done that as they serve no real purpose. It's not like some common criminal is going to 'hot wire' my Murci and the valves would have stopped them.

You could just post what your solution is and offer to perform the work for a fee, but you don't, which tells us what we need to know.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
I may go to a local electronics shop and ask them to replace those 2 capacitors to see if it fixes my old unit, just out of curiosity. I think there's a good chance that's what will fix it since the type of capacitors on the MED board are notorious for going bad with age, and the unit runs 24x7 when the battery is plugged in.
Thanks for the lead from my other thread - I'll cross link for others. Though mine is an LP640 so may be different.

Did you ever change out the capacitors on your old unit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, very interesting and useful information here...thank you all for posting your feedback on this subject. I don't currently have any issues with my MED or fuel valves, but I don't have a PIN card for mine, so I should be prepared. I started out searching for less expensive options in obtaining additional key fobs and found this thread. I thought that I should offer my two cents (if worth that...lol) on this subject being that I've been in the technical field my entire career.

I do a lot of component level troubleshooting and reworking (de-soldering and soldering) of very complex server platforms to simple I/O devices using a verity of test equipment for the past 33 years. With that said, from the photos of the MED PCB I've seen on this thread, it looks to be a fairly simple system to debug/repair if it's failing or has failed. Replacing electrolytic caps in systems older than 10 years would be a good place to start; most generally only have a 5 to 7 year life span at their rated values. It's a cheap and easy way that can probably resolve 25%-40% of the MED failures (I'm guessing). One wouldn't technically need to know how to do any real troubleshooting.

You can usually see (visually) when the electrolytic caps fail as the tops will start to bulge up. Ceramic caps do fail, but not very often; they generally have a much longer life span than electrolytic caps. I'm sure the MED unit can have other failures as well, but if the behavior is intermittent, I would check for cold solder joints and failed caps in the power rail circuit(s).

Someone had asked about obtaining the PIN card code between the MED and fuel cutoff valves, I'm sure that would possible by inserting a serial bus analyzer between the MED valve output and the cutoff valve(s), as long as MED was still functional enough for that communication for this testing. But, I think it's a much better idea to remove the cutoff valves all together, solenoids do fail and usually get extremely HOT when they do. I don't know the design of the solenoids used for the fuel cutoff valves, but I would be hesitant to design them in circuit near fuel. I do remember seeing a Murcielago that had caught fire which looked to have started in the same area where these valves are located...defiantly makes me wonder.

In any case, sorry for the long post...I hope that someone finds this somewhat useful.

Robert

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hello, very interesting and useful information here...thank you all for posting your feedback on this subject. I don't currently have any issues with my MED or fuel valves, but I don't have a PIN card for mine, so I should be prepared. I started out searching for less expensive options in obtaining additional key fobs and found this thread. I thought that I should offer my two cents (if worth that...lol) on this subject being that I've been in the technical field my entire career.

I do a lot of component level troubleshooting and reworking (de-soldering and soldering) of very complex server platforms to simple I/O devices using a verity of test equipment for the past 33 years. With that said, from the photos of the MED PCB I've seen on this thread, it looks to be a fairly simple system to debug/repair if it's failing or has failed. Replacing electrolytic caps in systems older than 10 years would be a good place to start; most generally only have a 5 to 7 year life span at their rated values. It's a cheap and easy way that can probably resolve 25%-40% of the MED failures (I'm guessing). One wouldn't technically need to know how to do any real troubleshooting.

You can usually see (visually) when the electrolytic caps fail as the tops will start to bulge up. Ceramic caps do fail, but not very often; they generally have a much longer life span than electrolytic caps. I'm sure the MED unit can have other failures as well, but if the behavior is intermittent, I would check for cold solder joints and failed caps in the power rail circuit(s).

Someone had asked about obtaining the PIN card code between the MED and fuel cutoff valves, I'm sure that would possible by inserting a serial bus analyzer between the MED valve output and the cutoff valve(s), as long as MED was still functional enough for that communication for this testing. But, I think it's a much better idea to remove the cutoff valves all together, solenoids do fail and usually get extremely HOT when they do. I don't know the design of the solenoids used for the fuel cutoff valves, but I would be hesitant to design them in circuit near fuel. I do remember seeing a Murcielago that had caught fire which looked to have started in the same area where these valves are located...defiantly makes me wonder.

In any case, sorry for the long post...I hope that someone finds this somewhat useful.

Robert
Replacing caps is a good idea. However, if the caps have already blown, there’s a high probably that other elements have been damaged(any ASIC/TTL chips, etc). However, since those caps are super cheap, it’s the best first step to fix/triage any issues and a great preventive maintenance measure.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts