Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I found this forum and joined it because I am in the market for a Gallardo.

I do have some what of a "noob" question for you guys, what exactly is "e-gear"? The reason I am asking is like I said above I am in the market for a used Gallardo but my manual skills are below par. Before I make myself look like a complete idiot at the dealer, I wanted to get some insight on exactly what "e-gear" is. My current cars are a both BMW's and I did post this question in a BMW forum and the answer was that its similar to SMG on the M3's. I know some of you will reply and say that a Lambo should only be driven with a manual 6 speed but I would prefer automatic. I did do a quick search and found some interesting post about e gear and the problems that some of the owners have had. I won't be buying brand new so is there any issues I must be made aware of? I've always wanted a Gallardo but responsibilities got in my way of owning what I would call my dream car but now i'm able to purchase a used Gallardo but really have no first hand knowledge from the owners. I would appreciate any insight and information about e-gear and also first hand comments and suggestions about the Gallardo.

By the way, i will be visiting Platinum motors in B. Hill and from what i've read on the forum its seems like its a very truthworth dealer. I do live very close to Platinum motors and that was the only reason why I was going visit them but they seem to be the fav on this forum.

Thanks in advance

J. Dhillon :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
the e gear is very similar to the BMW's smg or ferrari's F1,
it is not an auto, more a manual gerabox with sequential robot-paddles
very easy to drive and without the clutch,
someone likes it, someone not at all: taste question
but if you are not a manual driver you should serously think about it.....
:wave:

·
Registered
117 Posts
emilio is correct, its not so much an automatic but an electronically controlled way to shift. many people are on one side of the fence or another, while i am torn. For a murcie or diablo, i would always say go with the 6 speed as that is the true supercar/exotic form....you can really feel the power of those beasts with the manual gearbox.

for a gallardo, however, i am somewhat partial to e-gear. back when my dad had an e-gear gallardo (as the current gallardo is 6 speed), i loved the way the e-gear worked with the size and snappines of the murcie's little brother. the gallardo is a go-cart of sorts compared to its bigger cousins, and the e-gear only provides more of that feel. like i said, i like both types of gear box just as well, but for someone not too skilled in manual (or who doesnt want to put in the time to learn) e-gear is the way to go.

since you are getting a used gallardo, my bet would be that an 04 is what youll be purchasing. keeping this in mind, make sure you get A) either a gallardo who's e-gear has had the stage 3 (am i right on terminology) upgrade done to it or B) have the dealer put the uprade on it. platinum you are right is respected by many, and maybe they can work out a deal with you on that.

some people have experienced problems with e-gear....i havent once and truly unjoy ripping through the gears at the flick of a finger.

Happy Driving and good luck in your search for a fantastic Lamborghini!! :wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.