Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What’s next to troubleshoot
Changes all plugs and coils and am still getting misfire codes and left bank cat overheat light when ripp’n though the gears
P0305 misfire cyl 5
P0307 misfire cyl 7
P0310 misfire cyl 10
P1305 bank 1 random misfire
P1306 bank 2 random misfire
P1405 Catalyst Overtemp 1st Level bank 2
P1406 Catalyst Overtemp 2nd Level bank 2
P1426 Catalyst Temperature Circuits Congruence Range/Performance

Keep in mind these are all pending codes but it did put me into limp mode again

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Or the cats are getting plugged. I wouldn't drive it anymore if the cats are over heating. Good time to just delete the damn things and really wake the car up. LOL.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
****, have you checked all the grounds? Like removed them, scrubbed them, examined the posts, etc.? I changed the coil packs on my Diablo this year and low and behold one of the grounds for a bank of 6 cylinders was a bit corroded. No misfire codes since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I’m thinking the same thing
But would that cause misfire’s?
Plugged cats disrupt the flow of air through the engine. If they are glowing, definitely try cat eliminator pipes. These are also known as test pipes just for testing if the cats are the problem. Clean the air filter and replace the fuel filter too as these can make a difference. I would do these first since they are the cheapest options.

Cats glow either because they are plugged or because you are dumping unburnt fuel into them. If it is the latter, and your plugs and coils are ok, maybe it is a leaking injector. Too rich a mixture will cause misfires and send unburnt fuel to the cats.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Plugged cats disrupt the flow of air through the engine. If they are glowing, definitely try cat eliminator pipes. These are also known as test pipes just for testing if the cats are the problem. Clean the air filter and replace the fuel filter too as these can make a difference. I would do these first since they are the cheapest options.

Cats glow either because they are plugged or because you are dumping unburnt fuel into them. If it is the latter, and your plugs and coils are ok, maybe it is a leaking injector. Too rich a mixture will cause misfires and send unburnt fuel to the cats.
Catalysts glow because they are converting the emissions in hot exhaust gas. When everything is perfect the catalysts gets hotter than the exhaust gas entering them due to the exothermal process. They are suppose to be glowing hot at high flow. To prevent them from getting too hot they are cooled by unburned fuel. So unburned fuel in the catalysts is not unusual or dangerous if it is handled correctly. Wrong handling would be changing the running conditions from very rich to fuel cut, then the unburned fuel in the catalysts will be burned and it can damage the catalysts. The ECU’s don’t allow fuel cut when there is a risk for catalyst damage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Catalysts glow because they are converting the emissions in hot exhaust gas. When everything is perfect the catalysts gets hotter than the exhaust gas entering them due to the exothermal process. They are suppose to be glowing hot at high flow. To prevent them from getting too hot they are cooled by unburned fuel. So unburned fuel in the catalysts is not unusual or dangerous if it is handled correctly. Wrong handling would be changing the running conditions from very rich to fuel cut, then the unburned fuel in the catalysts will be burned and it can damage the catalysts. The ECU’s don’t allow fuel cut when there is a risk for catalyst damage.
You are correct that the catalyzing of CO to CO2, etc. is an exothermal process. I am talking about unburnt fuel burning in the cats and overheating them - trying to diagnose abnormal operation. You are describing the normal operation of cats. It is not normal to stop your car, get out and open the hood, and see glowing cats. My cats do not glow in any car I have unless at sustained WOT.

I still recommend the fuel filter and air filter maintenance if not recently done. They can cause misfires and are cheap to do. ALSO, I would not rule out plug and coil problems just because they are new parts. Reading the plugs may give some insights now that they have been renewed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you can reset the codes and then drive the car some, you can see which codes come back. I believe some non-Lamborghini computers can do a simple code reset. I have not had these codes on my Lamborghini to try myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are correct that the catalyzing of CO to CO2, etc. is an exothermal process. I am talking about unburnt fuel burning in the cats and overheating them - trying to diagnose abnormal operation. You are describing the normal operation of cats. It is not normal to stop your car, get out and open the hood, and see glowing cats. My cats do not glow in any car I have unless at sustained WOT.

I still recommend the fuel filter and air filter maintenance if not recently done. They can cause misfires and are cheap to do. ALSO, I would not rule out plug and coil problems just because they are new parts. Reading the plugs may give some insights now that they have been renewed.
Good, now we got all the catalyst facts in to this thread 😊

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update
Found out I have a bad injector
It’s showing 0 ohms
Guessing it’s stuck open
Have on order
Hopefully fixes some of these Cels

also waiting in my new fuel filters to come in

will advise when parts are changed out

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you find that after you get your injector sorted-out, that it still has the same issue, look at replacing the plug wires on at least that side of the engine.

·
Registered
08 SL #07008 in Nero Noctis
44 Posts
had same issues ended up being mechanic when he was putting the plugs back onto the injectors/coils one of the 3 or 4 wires came out and was not connected. SOOOOO cylinder 8 was not firing and instead dumping fuel into 1 cat and heating that bitch up quickly....rewired and soldered the connection and all was good instantly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noted
I’m not getting any coded as of now when idles in the garage
New issue
Getting a idle surge 200-300 rpm
Kinda like there’s a vacuum leak
Unfortunately because of weather I can’t drive the car
Feel like it needs to relearn or something strange

·
Registered
140 Posts
The computer (ECU) tries to control throttle so anything from an air leak to a bad sensor can cause surging. An injector might also be going bad without showing a short or open. It might be good to drive it out some when you get a clear day. Depending on where you live, many winters still have at least a few clear days. Also, if this has gone on for a while and your cats were damaged (clogged), you might not get it running right until you replace or switch to cat bypass pipes. Chasing these things down can be a challenge because it can be so many things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts