Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noted my G is slightly picky about how it wants to go into second gear. It took me a week of driving before I really noticed it and I’ve basically figured out how to make it go without grinding gears or getting held up but I am wondering if this is normal or if it is something I should get looked at.

I never notice it being picky or grinding when down shifting, only when going from first to second. The least bumpy/grindy path I typically use is by going down the right side of the 2nd gear gate and I even bump into the top diagonal part that splits second and fourth gears.

Anyways, is this something I should get looked at?

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
447 Posts
synchro issue? I didn't catch the specific gear he was talking about in the whole video, but did you see this? --

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well not major as long as you continue to baby it. Trouble is right now now you don't know exactly what type of synchro issue it may, or not be. If it's split like the one he shows in the video, and it gets a good powershift that splits it in half, then it becomes a major issue. Unless, of course, you don't mind pulling the gearbox out and taking it apart to replace one silly little part

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree that you need to get it looked at. Mine did it on downshift more but even when cold and going through the gears. Should not be a huge deal though to get fixed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its the 2nd gear synchro. I bought mine with the same issue. These gearboxes are garbage. Every single one of them has a ruined 2nd gear synchro.

John at HCF can get you one for $1200. You can get one for less on ScuderiaParts, but I dont recommend it. The L140 had minor updates in the middle of model years. Its possible to order a synchro for your car, and turns out it doesnt fit because something in the gearbox changed.

A few things I've found after putting miles on mine

1. The faster you shove it into 2nd, the better. I'm used to just guiding the car into gear, but with this car you have to drive like a bit of an orangutan. Just quickly jam it into 2nd and it will go a lot easier
2. Double clutch on the upshift.
3. Skip 2nd and go to 3rd.

Also, I would recommend trying to find a 2006+ gearset or custom ratios. I've been trying to find a place to get these and just cant find them. The gear ratios in the 04 almost ruin the car for me. Maybe its not the case for you, but something to consider if youll be opening the transmission anyway.

Finally, some other things to try before buying a synchro
1. Adjust your shift cables. This made a pretty significant difference to me. Not night/day but a pretty big improvement
2. Flush/fill trans fluid. These cars are old and probably did a lot of sitting. Cant hurt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Holy C, $1200 is that JUST the synchro ring, or is that the whole gearset !! I understand the Lambo tax, but that's just Brutal..... You can do a 2-3 synchro in a T5 for $14, or opt to do them all for $50....... On a positive note, good time to inspect the clutch and see if you might as well get that out of the way as well, if needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depending on how "bumpy" the 2nd gear engagement is, you may just be experiencing the typical 1st to 2nd gear crunch common to many Italian makes.
My G is the only Italian car I have owned, but driven many over the years and everyone of them had temperamental 2nd gear. Ferraris are known for this to the extent that in some models 2nd gear is almost unusable till you drive a bit and get the temps up. For what's its worth, my Harley V-rod also has a bit of a crunch into 2nd. If it happens al the time there could be something broken, if not ....it might just be part of the charm , ...".è normale" 😎

·
Registered
243 Posts
Holy C, $1200 is that JUST the synchro ring, or is that the whole gearset !! I understand the Lambo tax, but that's just Brutal..... You can do a 2-3 synchro in a T5 for $14, or opt to do them all for $50....... On a positive note, good time to inspect the clutch and see if you might as well get that out of the way as well, if needed.
$1200 for just the synchro.

A full, used, transmission is $12 - $15k
A gear set alone, new is $10k.
Theres a 2009 gear set on ebay right now but it wont fit the 04 gearbox.

Honestly the lambo tax is wearing me out. Its so stupid. I dont know if its a factor of the smaller customer base meaning OEMs have to charge more, or if its just this mindset of "Lamborghini owners have more money than sense, lets charge them $6000 for these welded pipes. Those idiots will buy anything".

A lot of owners still genuinely believe these cars are "special" and the gears are more than just gears, so they should pay more. No. They're just gears like in any other car. In fact, the gears and synchros in this transmission are a lot crappier than the ones in my corvette. Hell, my 1997 miata has 60k more miles and shifts better than this car. Never needed a synchro or a clutch in that, but at 15k the previous owner managed to blow up a synchro in my car? Come on. My atom has the s2000 transmission and its the best transmission I've ever used. Its also affordable. The fact the L140 costs so much to buy and maintain but sucks so badly is almost an insult. I'll stop ranting now.

You're totally right. I've had custom gears made for other cars. A custom gear set should be $2500 - $3500 ish. An exhaust system should be $2500 ish. On this car gears are $10k and people pay up to $10k for exhaust. To me it sounds like a sucker tax more than a lamborghini tax, but in cases like the gearbox you dont have many alternatives to choose from. Developro gave me a quote for $4500 but they wont tell me the ratios and honestly come off like a bunch of amateurs.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't take my word for it, always doublecheck. I did this out of my own curiosity. As a Tech I did a lot of my own parts lookup and learned some cross-referencing to save money on my own, or friends' cars. Unfortunately, the GPuncher is right on the money, and if you can't cross-ref it, you probably aren't going to find any bargains..........

086311243 is the # I keep coming up w/ for 2004 second gear Synchro HUB (it's a bit more than just a typical synchro ring). Eurospares has it for 872 pounds which equals $1198 at the current exchange rate. Scud parts has it for $1272
Can't seem to cross-reference it into Audi, so is it possible this 'earliest' manual never made it into an R8.... there are two updated part numbers but they must follow the later versions and there's no point in even assuming any interchange because they are more expensive anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad to see i got it right. I run a business manufacturing auto parts and an annoying amount of hours during my day is dealing with part numbers and cross referencing compatibility.

The problem isnt really with Lamborghini or Audi. Its the Graziano gearbox that makes it hard.

For example, my gallardo was production number 156. My gearbox, however, was production number 104. My understanding is that for whatever reason, a lot of very early cars got basically-prototype gearboxes, and there were minor changes between model years. So the synchro for the early 04 and the synchro for the late 04 are not a direct match, however you wont find this on any parts retailer. You need to go through Graziano. (Dana/Oerlikon).

Its also my understanding that, yes, the earliest L140 gearboxes never made it into the R8. That would make sense considering the earliest R8 is essentially an LP560 drivetrain.

After dealing with this first hand, I would recommend ordering through someone who buys the parts via Graziano, NOT lamborghini. If I ordered from ScuderiaParts, I'd have waited 2 months to get a synchro that wasnt going to fit. I have no affiliation with HCF, they just happen to be the only people I can find who still support this thing.

In order to find your transmission number, you need to climb on top of the engine, remove the airboxes, shove a bunch of hoses out of the way, and it will be on top of the bell housing. I couldnt see the number with my eyes and had to use a borescope to get a photo of it. EIther that or just remove the trans.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Its the 2nd gear synchro. I bought mine with the same issue. These gearboxes are garbage. Every single one of them has a ruined 2nd gear synchro.
My car has 65k miles, 04 e-gear and no issues. Manual I can see how 2nd would be the problem gear in an 04 because that is almost always the only gear you are shifting to at speed before already over legal speed limits. So if people miss a few shifts or clutch wrong 2nd would be the gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

John at HCF can get you one for $1200. You can get one for less on ScuderiaParts, but I dont recommend it. The L140 had minor updates in the middle of model years. Its possible to order a synchro for your car, and turns out it doesnt fit because something in the gearbox changed.

A few things I've found after putting miles on mine

1. The faster you shove it into 2nd, the better. I'm used to just guiding the car into gear, but with this car you have to drive like a bit of an orangutan. Just quickly jam it into 2nd and it will go a lot easier
2. Double clutch on the upshift.
3. Skip 2nd and go to 3rd.

Also, I would recommend trying to find a 2006+ gearset or custom ratios. I've been trying to find a place to get these and just cant find them. The gear ratios in the 04 almost ruin the car for me. Maybe its not the case for you, but something to consider if youll be opening the transmission anyway.

Finally, some other things to try before buying a synchro
1. Adjust your shift cables. This made a pretty significant difference to me. Not night/day but a pretty big improvement
2. Flush/fill trans fluid. These cars are old and probably did a lot of sitting. Cant hurt.
This is super useful. I drove around for a bit tonight and tried just skipping 2nd and also occasionally just slamming it into 2nd when I did want to use it. It was kinda fun revving a little higher in 1st and going into third was perfectly smooth. I’ll probably skip second a bunch.

I’ll look into adjusting the **** cables too, I feel like fine tuning that could help too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My car has 65k miles, 04 e-gear and no issues. Manual I can see how 2nd would be the problem gear in an 04 because that is almost always the only gear you are shifting to at speed before already over legal speed limits. So if people miss a few shifts or clutch wrong 2nd would be the gear.

This is almost all of them. I spent a ton of time checking out diferent manual cars and just about every single one either recently had a synchro service or was in need of one.

Disclaimer: I've spent a lot of time mechanically inspecting my car and dont believe anything is wrong with it, but my car is the only manual gallardo I've ever driven

Its possible that everyone who buys these is just a terrible driver, but I think the more likely explanation is that the synchros are crap. I have no idea why the egear doesnt have this problem, though. I asked john at HCF and didnt get a response. Even ignoring the synchro problem they all have, there are other reasons why this transmission is junk in my opinion. You dont notice a lot of these things with the egear, though. The clutch pedal is vague, the shift action is clunky even on the good gears, the gearing is terrible, driving smoothly is way more difficult than it should be. I've been driving manual cars for as long as I've had a drivers license and currently every car I drive is a manual, but this thing makes me look like a 16 year old who is still learning. You cant feel anything through the clutch pedal and getting a smooth shift is not easy. I probably hadnt stalled a car for years, but in 100 miles I've stalled this one twice because the clutch is so finicky. I heel-toe all of my cars on normal daily drives, but the stupid reverse hinge pedal makes it near impossible for me on this car. I guess thats more about the ergonomics of the car than the trans, but still. I dont blame people for going egear. In my opinion the manual adds a lot less to the car than I originally thought it would, and I'm one of those "manual or nothing" types. Fully expecting some diehard manual fanboys to take issue with this, but its been my experience thus far. If I had it to do over I'm not sure if I would have gotten an egear or just gotten a different car entirely (F355 sure looks good right now). I'll have to see if a better 1->2 shift and a new clutch helps with some of this. Just waiting on parts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the cables in the tunnel are stretched could this not cause this issue because of improper engagement?
Yes, but you shouldnt have to ever replace them. They can easily be recalibrated. Only takes a few minutes. Most of the minutes are spent reading the broken english in the workshop manual 30 times until you understand what its saying. Lol.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
$1200 for just the synchro.

A full, used, transmission is $12 - $15k
A gear set alone, new is $10k.
Theres a 2009 gear set on ebay right now but it wont fit the 04 gearbox.

Honestly the lambo tax is wearing me out. Its so stupid. I dont know if its a factor of the smaller customer base meaning OEMs have to charge more, or if its just this mindset of "Lamborghini owners have more money than sense, lets charge them $6000 for these welded pipes. Those idiots will buy anything".

A lot of owners still genuinely believe these cars are "special" and the gears are more than just gears, so they should pay more. No. They're just gears like in any other car. In fact, the gears and synchros in this transmission are a lot crappier than the ones in my corvette. Hell, my 1997 miata has 60k more miles and shifts better than this car. Never needed a synchro or a clutch in that, but at 15k the previous owner managed to blow up a synchro in my car? Come on. My atom has the s2000 transmission and its the best transmission I've ever used. Its also affordable. The fact the L140 costs so much to buy and maintain but sucks so badly is almost an insult. I'll stop ranting now.

You're totally right. I've had custom gears made for other cars. A custom gear set should be $2500 - $3500 ish. An exhaust system should be $2500 ish. On this car gears are $10k and people pay up to $10k for exhaust. To me it sounds like a sucker tax more than a lamborghini tax, but in cases like the gearbox you dont have many alternatives to choose from. Developro gave me a quote for $4500 but they wont tell me the ratios and honestly come off like a bunch of amateurs.

View attachment 294512
Suckers tax?

This past weekend I replaced my front rotors, brake pads and shocks for $140 TOTAL

oh, it’s a 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 😀😀😀😀

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.