Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so go easy on me...

I have had the Gallardo now for a little over a week and a few questions for you other owners.

1. Is your speedometer off? I found that mine is about 9 percent higher than the speed indicated on my hand held GPS unit. The first conversation with the dealer was that it was within the "normal" limits. Kind of a pain to have to be doing the math on the speedo with a Texas Highway Patrol car trying to catch up to the Gallardo.

The engine seems to run a little rough at around 1800 to 2200 rpm, is this normal?

3. Those of you that have had the car for a while, how long before the urge to just stand and look at the Gallardo passes?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Steve

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Well my first repsonse would be do you have your own ZIP CODE? You must with the size garage you have to have for all those cras. Welcome.

My Diablo, (2001 6.0), Murcie 03 and Gallardo E-Gear 04, are ALL OFF betwen 8 and 10% on the speedo AND the ODOMETER. The dealers to say this is quote unqoute acceptable.

I have gotten in the habit of just taking 10MPH off of my speedo at all times.

I truly believe this is a calculated mistake from the factory to save on the WARRANTY MILES, after all 24 k would really be 21600!!

As far as rough driving, onmly when its been cold, warm up no problem. Have 8plus k on mine. Broke in at about 5 k real good.

I dont think you EVER get tired of looking at a LAMBO!!! :wave:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gallardo Speedo etc.

The Gallardo speedo is definitely off. 10%+ The dealer just shrugs.

After 2.5 months I still stare, and I hope to never stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Steve

1)My speedo seems reasonably accurate as we have millions of speed cameras in this bloody country and I've managed to avoid setting any off in the Gallardo so far (famous last words?).

2)My 2005 does run a bit "wooly" between the rpm you mention. I noticed when I first collected mine. Dealer said it was normal and to do with harmonics of the V10. Plausible, but I doubt the Carrera GT or Beemer M5/6 do it. 6000 miles later it still does it. I just live with it as "character". If you have an e-gear be very careful what you do with the throttle at these rpms.

3)Love is blind but I can't stop looking back at my Gallardo. It is stunning.

Welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gallardo Speedometer

I just bought a used 2006 Gallardo Spyder with 4,000 miles. My speedometer is off about 9% as well. When I drive on the tollway, I have to do 90mph to keep up with the flow of traffic (everyone does 80mph at that time in the morning).

My fear is that I am putting on more miles than my car's odometer than is really true. I called the dealer to see if they could "recalibrate" the speedometer. They said there was no such thing. (Is that true?) They also said that within 10% is normal and the the California Highway Patrol does not have a problem with a speedometer as long as it is within 10mph of your actual speed. Seems hard to believe.

Did any one of you guys ever have anything done about the speedometer?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We have calibrated the speedometer on a G. It is exactly 10% too high. I believe they all are, irrespective of the year of car.

Calibrated against another vehicle that reads true, and then calibrated against a 5-satellite GPS.

This, according to the Factory is Molto Bene !

Not a factor when you are doing 30. Big factor when doing 130. Molto stupido!

It is the Italian way....

·
Registered
1 Posts
speedometer

I just bought a used 2006 Gallardo Spyder with 4,000 miles. My speedometer is off about 9% as well. When I drive on the tollway, I have to do 90mph to keep up with the flow of traffic (everyone does 80mph at that time in the morning).

My fear is that I am putting on more miles than my car's odometer than is really true. I called the dealer to see if they could "recalibrate" the speedometer. They said there was no such thing. (Is that true?) They also said that within 10% is normal and the the California Highway Patrol does not have a problem with a speedometer as long as it is within 10mph of your actual speed. Seems hard to believe.

Did any one of you guys ever have anything done about the speedometer?
Hi,
I just saw this one, and thought "better late answer than no answer"....
Don´t worry about putting on more miles on your odometer. The speedometer & odometer are fed by the same cable, but are indeed 2 separate instruments. The odometer runs on a direct gear connected to the cable. The speedometer isn´t connected to the cable as such, but there is a magnet fitted to the cable, the magnet rotates, and in turn makes the pointer on the speedometer rise. There is a spring-load on the speedometer, counter-acting the rotating magnet, and if the speed is wrong, it´s likely the spring-load thats off.
Hope this can remove some stress for somebody....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,
I just saw this one, and thought "better late answer than no answer"....
Don´t worry about putting on more miles on your odometer. The speedometer & odometer are fed by the same cable, but are indeed 2 separate instruments. The odometer runs on a direct gear connected to the cable. The speedometer isn´t connected to the cable as such, but there is a magnet fitted to the cable, the magnet rotates, and in turn makes the pointer on the speedometer rise. There is a spring-load on the speedometer, counter-acting the rotating magnet, and if the speed is wrong, it´s likely the spring-load thats off.
Hope this can remove some stress for somebody....
Cable????

There is no cable on these gals; in fact I do not recall the last time I saw a cable being used.

Now for the record after all these years my new gal is showing as Roy shared nearly 5 years ago; nearly 10 MPH too fast at 80 mph.

Takes care

Shadowman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts