Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 8yo Spyder. Now my employees want raises because I bough a "Lamborghini" and they make me "RICH" LOL Truth of the matter is, I bought an 8yo car but they see NEW!!! I also have a 21yo Porsche.
Truth of the matter is, 50% of my staff make MORE MONEY than I pay myself. Seriously. They also didnt pay their dues like I have. I stated a ground up business with 50k savings. Worked 80+ hrs a week and paid myself $2500 a month for over 10 years and put everything back into the company to grow it. Borrowed money to keep the doors open at times. Many sleepless nights worrying about how Im going to pay them while Im living off just my wife's paycheck! Now the company does 3.5mil in sales each year and I catch heat over rewarding myself with a 21yo car (in 2017) and an 8yo car (3 months ago) with 5 years left to go for retirement.

Truth is, my staff is paid top of the market. They dont leave because they know they cant make as much money elsewhere. The one employee giving me the most grief came to me earlier this year when he got his W2 and said, "I just want to say thank you for this job! I made more money last year than I have ever made in my life" Another employee I think will never be happy??? Its all about me me me........he's the highest paid in the shop. Is the sloppiest person. Never in uniform. Has absolutely the filthiest work area in the shop. A total slob yet produces the highest and cries, "I want more money" ALL THE TIME!!! Now he wont even speak to me. LOL Yet he wont leave because he knows he has it good here.....Geeze.....Any others with this issue??? LOL

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,805 Posts
That is a shame. I have not had any experiences like that with my employees. I can't really advise you, but I would not tolerate that type of behavior. My employees know that anyone, except me of course, can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,373 Posts
Wow can't say that is consistent with experience I have had.....sounds a tad disrespectful that they would even challenge you in that way. Maybe it's time to start the interviewing process just in case or because their comments are so inappropriate.
Treat employees respectfully and be cordial but unfortunately with some employees friendliness can breed contempt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow can't say that is consistent with experience I have had.....sounds a tad disrespectful that they would even challenge you in that way. Maybe it's time to start the interviewing process just in case or because their comments are so inappropriate.
Treat employees respectfully and be cordial but unfortunately with some employees friendliness can breed contempt.
I think because I bring myself to a level of friendliness with them they often try to put a "guilt" complex on me. Unfortunately, I inherited my dads personality of allowing myself to be too giving and caring to the point people try and walk on me??? I just figured because of the age of the vehicle they'd get over it like they did with the Porsche.....LOL My bad! LOL Im just going to act like its sold and move it to the house and out of my shops showroom......

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I think because I bring myself to a level of friendliness with them they often try to put a "guilt" complex on me. Unfortunately, I inherited my dads personality of allowing myself to be too giving and caring to the point people try and walk on me??? I just figured because of the age of the vehicle they'd get over it like they did with the Porsche.....LOL My bad! LOL Im just going to act like its sold and move it to the house and out of my shops showroom......
You can do that but that may only address the symptom not the problem. If your employees went that far they probably still assume even if you "sold it" your rolling in dough and their behavior may not improve appreciably. In any event, your call......Best of Luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you own a business and fraternize with your employees, other than company events, you are asking for trouble. Always keep it professional.

Reactions: Dee Zed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you own a business and fraternize with your employees, other than company events, you are asking for trouble. Always keep it professional.
Didnt say I fraternized with them, and I agree..........but I do have an open door policy and I do frequent the "floor" to keep up moral. I appreciate your feedback though.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Time to hire some new employees. Your work situation sounds miserable with entitled and ungrateful staff and is untenable long-term regardless of the 3.5 million gross income.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have to say I experienced the same from some employees. I also built two of my businesess from the ground up, started with my business partner in a converted closet. When I started being able to hire employees, I taught them the ropes, gave them deals, some $10k++ commissions that I Could have kept for myself. All to show them I am a team player. when I was able to start using nice cars ( Gallardo, RuF RTurbo Porsche, Cayanne Turbo S etc) I caught flack as well. They never know the blood, sweat, tears, sleepless nights etc that it takes to build a business and they always want more. I also had the open door policy and I came to realize that is not always the best policy. If they have an issue with how you spend your hard earned and well deserved money, well don't let the door hit them on the ass on their way out. Congrats on your success!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an 8yo Spyder. Now my employees want raises because I bough a "Lamborghini" and they make me "RICH" LOL Truth of the matter is, I bought an 8yo car but they see NEW!!! I also have a 21yo Porsche.
Truth of the matter is, 50% of my staff make MORE MONEY than I pay myself. Seriously. They also didnt pay their dues like I have. I stated a ground up business with 50k savings. Worked 80+ hrs a week and paid myself $2500 a month for over 10 years and put everything back into the company to grow it. Borrowed money to keep the doors open at times. Many sleepless nights worrying about how Im going to pay them while Im living off just my wife's paycheck! Now the company does 3.5mil in sales each year and I catch heat over rewarding myself with a 21yo car (in 2017) and an 8yo car (3 months ago) with 5 years left to go for retirement.

Truth is, my staff is paid top of the market. They dont leave because they know they cant make as much money elsewhere. The one employee giving me the most grief came to me earlier this year when he got his W2 and said, "I just want to say thank you for this job! I made more money last year than I have ever made in my life" Another employee I think will never be happy??? Its all about me me me........he's the highest paid in the shop. Is the sloppiest person. Never in uniform. Has absolutely the filthiest work area in the shop. A total slob yet produces the highest and cries, "I want more money" ALL THE TIME!!! Now he wont even speak to me. LOL Yet he wont leave because he knows he has it good here.....Geeze.....Any others with this issue??? LOL
To be honest if you allow an employee to harass you over a purchase you made on your own time for your private life, the problem here isn’t him it’s you. You need to lay down the law and tell him to shape up or get lost. Behind your back can you imagine what he’s saying about you? He’s poisoning the opinion of you with other employees. No one employee tells the boss how things go. I’d say he needs to go no matter what.

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
You sound like a carbon copy of ME. I also got my Dad's giving and caring as well. I had to fight very hard to overcome that trait and at the same time not lose the gift of compassion. Several times I have had to use this little saying to people or employees that were trying to take advantage of my kindness. This is what I said and they knew I meant it!
"Do not EVER mistake my kindness for weakness". And with that I would walk away, I was never tested again after that.

Reactions: EsGHL

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
@dandyDon, it's apparent your a successful accomplished businessman and hopefully the you will take the advice offered in the vain in which it was intended, that is, to be helpful. Only you can fully grasp the intricacies and complexity of your situation so you can either cherry pick advice that is offered or disregard part or all of the advice given. Though, what I will say about this forum above all other forums I have participated in, is that, the members are basically a decent lot with good intentions. If you’re so disposed let us know how you eventually navigate this bump in the road. Cheers!🥂

Reactions: REKIII

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
"Do not EVER mistake my kindness for weakness". And with that I would walk away, I was never tested again after that.
Sage advice my friend! Which again emphasis the point I made in my last post..........

Reactions: EsGHL

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
Tell them you got the Lambo for the price of new S class. People hear lambo and think 300k instantly, as 99% of people don't know and think a battery is $2,500 and you're paying $10k a year in car insurance. Little do they know. But some people buy these cars for those exact reasons/reactions :)

Being the boss though means people will always be jealous. No matter what. Secretly or upfront.

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would take a different approach to this as I have done with many of my employees. If they are unhappy or complain, especially when it comes to hourly wages or salary. If you know that they are worth more, then pay them more obviously lol, but first thing I tell employees is "there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. If you can find a better job that pays more then take it!" Almost all employees that have left because they think the grass is greener on the other side come back asking for a job a couple month later.

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
I have learned how to be a bit of a different person
I would take a different approach to this as I have done with many of my employees. If they are unhappy or complain, especially when it comes to hourly wages or salary. If you know that they are worth more, then pay them more obviously lol, but first thing I tell employees is "there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. If you can find a better job that pays more then take it!" Almost all employees that have left because they think the grass is greener on the other side come back asking for a job a couple month later.
That is just sooo true. I have had so many come back wishing they had never quit, but it is always too late because I had already replaced them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have learned how to be a bit of a different person

That is just sooo true. I have had so many come back wishing they had never quit, but it is always too late because I had already replaced them.
I'm an employee rather than business owner (in a white collar job still) but I would think its all based on ratios. If you as a business owner are taking XXXX% more than your employees then I think thats a problem. For me at least, doing the right thing is more important than owning a Lamborghini. If you are giving employees barely enough to have food for family and save $100 per month while ordering new Lamborghini you need a ethos check ASAP. I still have people working under me but I would not be able to take XXX% more than my lowest paid employee (morally) if i started a business. That might be why I will remain a dreamer forever..

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm an employee rather than business owner (in a white collar job still) but I would think its all based on ratios. If you as a business owner are taking XXXX% more than your employees then I think thats a problem. For me at least, doing the right thing is more important than owning a Lamborghini. If you are giving employees barely enough to have food for family and save $100 per month while ordering new Lamborghini you need a ethos check ASAP. I still have people working under me but I would not be able to take XXX% more than my lowest paid employee (morally) if i started a business. That might be why I will remain a dreamer forever..
I couldn't disagree with this post more.

At the end of the day, free markets work. If an employer isn't paying his employees enough, they have their own free will to seek employment elsewhere.

The more skilled labor is required, the more the market speaks as skilled services are typically in demand, creating options for employees.

The % more or less that the OWNER, the guy who risked everything to make the business earns over employees is irrelevant.

Bottom-line, employees who are paid anything less than what the market commands won't stick around, so the market balances itself.

Most entrepreneurs that I have known (myself included) spent years making no money at all (some years losing money) to make their dream a reality. Once you fight for as many years as it takes to be successful, folks/employees, etc who haven't every swam upstream can judge all they want. They have no Idea what it takes.

I cannot stand the sentiment of those judging entrepreneurs saying to themselves, "he earns too much" or "I could do that job". The reality is, perhaps many folks could step in for a CEO AFTER all the hard work is done and the company is now profitable. Significantly fewer could build that from the ground up. Nobody envies the guy sleeping at his office, eating top ramen with a dream.

Everybody wants to earn what the the boss earns, but isn't willing to sacrifice what the boss sacrificed in the early years.

There are a select few that say "I could do that" who actually can and do. That is the best part of a free market. Earn your comfortable salary while the boss lays awake at night figuring out how to navigate through ever changing times. Save, and take the leap yourself should you desire for "more". Plan on failure many times before tasting success, which makes it sweeter when you hit it. But don't judge the guy (the final product if you will) when he makes it.

Some of the most moral people I know, earn significantly more than their lowest employee. One in particular expanded his business to multiple states even though he lost considerable efficiencies in doing so. He felt a great sense of pride in having many employees, knowing that he was providing a way for them to earn a living, and felt a responsibility to employ as many folks as the business reasonably could.

The guy made millions of dollars, sold the company for many millions. His life is filled with service, generosity and being a great steward of the resources he's been blessed with.

To say that he wasn't "moral" enough because he earned many multiples what his employees earned (who were all paid market rates or better) couldn't be further than the truth.

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
I couldn't disagree with this post more.

At the end of the day, free markets work. If an employer isn't paying his employees enough, they have their own free will to seek employment elsewhere.

The more skilled labor is required, the more the market speaks as skilled services are typically in demand, creating options for employees.

The % more or less that the OWNER, the guy who risked everything to make the business earns over employees is irrelevant.

Bottom-line, employees who are paid anything less than what the market commands won't stick around, so the market balances itself.

Most entrepreneurs that I have known (myself included) spent years making no money at all (some years losing money) to make their dream a reality. Once you fight for as many years as it takes to be successful, folks/employees, etc who haven't every swam upstream can judge all they want. They have no Idea what it takes.

I cannot stand the sentiment of those judging entrepreneurs saying to themselves, "he earns too much" or "I could do that job". The reality is, perhaps many folks could step in for a CEO AFTER all the hard work is done and the company is now profitable. Significantly fewer could build that from the ground up. Nobody envies the guy sleeping at his office, eating top ramen with a dream.

Everybody wants to earn what the the boss earns, but isn't willing to sacrifice what the boss sacrificed in the early years.

There are a select few that say "I could do that" who actually can and do. That is the best part of a free market. Earn your comfortable salary while the boss lays awake at night figuring out how to navigate through ever changing times. Save, and take the leap yourself should you desire for "more". Plan on failure many times before tasting success, which makes it sweeter when you hit it. But don't judge the guy (the final product if you will) when he makes it.

Some of the most moral people I know, earn significantly more than their lowest employee. One in particular expanded his business to multiple states even though he lost considerable efficiencies in doing so. He felt a great sense of pride in having many employees, knowing that he was providing a way for them to earn a living, and felt a responsibility to employ as many folks as the business reasonably could.

The guy made millions of dollars, sold the company for many millions. His life is filled with service, generosity and being a great steward of the resources he's been blessed with.

To say that he wasn't "moral" enough because he earned many multiples what his employees earned (who were all paid market rates or better) couldn't be further than the truth.
What a great answer and so true!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts