Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the forum for a while now and am looking at getting a Gallardo to replace my 997 Turbo, ideally I'll be looking for a 2008ish onwards car IF I can get an LP550 or 560 that would be awesome. Also can someone recommend decent independent dealers for purchase, services and inspection in the UK.

I’m new to the brand (have had TVR's Lotuses and Porarches prevoously) and would like some pointers on what to look out for so for I’ve been advised of;-
  • E-clutch wear what % remaining is acceptable
  • Electrical items
  • Cats disintegrating, is this very common? Even on LP cars?
  • Usual interior wear and tear
  • Also on the LP cars can you charge the battery via a trickle charger plugged into the cigarette lighter?

Is there anything else I’ve missed out?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
464 Posts
If you park/cover your car in winter you might reconsider trickle charger placement. The one (trickle-charger) I bought comes with a direct to battery attachment harness about 1 meter long. It runs down under the battery along the under-tray and comes out just behind front wheel near edge of the rocker panel. Works beautiful as you can cover and uncover without struggling with wires, open window and if you forget, you never have to do any more than bend down and plug it in....... just remember to unplug it before use :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys, I've seen a potential LP560-4 with around 12k miles on the clock and 5 owners. I managed to speak to the last garage (Lambo main dealer) that serviced the car in Jan 21 when it had 11K on the clock and they mentioned that the clutch was at around 6mm and had been 60% worn.

To me that sounds like it needs changing right, at least having the cost of replacement subtracted from the price. Thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry according to the service lady she said it was 60% worn, and that Lambo recommend a change at 70% worn.

Thanks B

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the forum for a while now and am looking at getting a Gallardo to replace my 997 Turbo, ideally I'll be looking for a 2008ish onwards car IF I can get an LP550 or 560 that would be awesome. Also can someone recommend decent independent dealers for purchase, services and inspection in the UK.

I’m new to the brand (have had TVR's Lotuses and Porarches prevoously) and would like some pointers on what to look out for so for I’ve been advised of;-
  • E-clutch wear what % remaining is acceptable
  • Electrical items
  • Cats disintegrating, is this very common? Even on LP cars?
  • Usual interior wear and tear
  • Also on the LP cars can you charge the battery via a trickle charger plugged into the cigarette lighter?

Is there anything else I’ve missed out?

Thanks in advance
All good comments below -never heard of issues with the cats but them again i live in FL we do not have emissions and basically 100% of the Gs do not have cats on them.
I am against the trickle charger and here is why-even if you live in cold/snow area you should start the car every other week, let it run 10-15 min to bring everything up to temp, a trickle charger wont solve dried out hoses, etcs.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
All good comments below -never heard of issues with the cats but them again i live in FL we do not have emissions and basically 100% of the Gs do not have cats on them.
I am against the trickle charger and here is why-even if you live in cold/snow area you should start the car every other week, let it run 10-15 min to bring everything up to temp, a trickle charger wont solve dried out hoses, etcs.
Running the car ever other week for 10-15 minutes won't maintain the battery. You need both running the car and the battery maintainer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Is it just me,? I would worry that a Gallardo with 12K on the clutch, with 5 owners, in such a short(ish) lifespan, sounds like it's been driven real hard?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
you should not simply start the car and have it run for 10-15 minutes without moving it. That will do some damage if done frequently. Always best to start the car, do not let it sit. For the first five minutes drive at low rpms to warm and then once the temperatures are up, drive as normal.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The more owners the greater chance of abuse. Especially if any know they do not plan on keeping the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, spoke to dealer they won't move on price OR add a new clutch, Lambo have said that at 60% worn it has about 8-12 months remaining until it needs changing at around £5.5K. The search continues.......

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
This is a tough time to negotiate on a pre owned car. Either you want the car bad enough and pay the price or keep looking

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So test drove an F430 F1 today, great sound and awesome handling BUT felt much slower then my 997 Turbo manual, also it did really give me that 'wow and tingly' feeling, anyway hopefully trying out a LP550-2 tomorrow. 2013 car with 21K on the clock lets see how this one stacks up. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Ok so managed to drive the LP550-2 today, awesome looking and sounding car, sounds much better then the F430, interior much better place too apart from the F430's yellow dial. Now the drive it felt HEAVY really HEAVY in comparioson to my turbo and actually felt slow (not sure if it actually was slower but felt it) but the worst thing was the brakes, completely spongy and almost non-existent, handling was on point though. Question is are they all like this or does this one need some work? Been after a G for a long time now and hope it's not a case of 'don't drive your heroes'.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Question is are they all like this or does this one need some work? Been after a G for a long time now and hope it's not a case of 'don't drive your heroes'.

Thanks guys.
The Gallardo isn't a 0-60 car so if you are looking for push off the line it isn't going to do it for you unless you add aftermarket boost. It pulls like crazy though well past 100 MPH, faster than anything I've ever driven when you are moving. Insane pickup. And steering just seems to get better with speed. I like that the steering feel is a bit heavier as I have a better sense of what the car is doing. But again if you are looking for 0-60 speeds this car from the factory isn't going to do it for you.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
464 Posts
Yes, starting and running the car at least once every two weeks for a warm-up cycle is a given up here in the North, where we, (some of us) only drive our cars 6 months out of the year. Those cycles are not enough to recharge the battery without a good drive so therefore...... the trickle charger. Non-climate controlled garages have an even more devastating effect. Spyder owners may find as their battery gets older they may start experiencing issues where the top operation starts doing weird things and a trickle charger may help solve this (or buy a new battery every two or three years)

Oh, I just noticed Tomaso's post, just had to elaborate on that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts