Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this on another Lamborghini forum as well. Sorry to those who have already seen this.

Has anybody else read the new Lamborghini book by David Jolliffe and Tony Willard? I just got the book this Christmas and finished reading it last night.

For those of you who haven't read it yet - don't bother. Two examples:
1. There is a photo on one page with a caption about a crowd viewing the 25th Anniversary Countach. The problem is that the picture is of a Diablo!
2. On another page they say what Chrysler bought Lamborghini for and on the very next page they give a totally different number. Which is correct?

There was another underlying thing that was starting to nag me as I read this book. My suspicions were heightened as I read each page. The authors are very hard on Chrysler and their ownership of Lamborghini. More than any other owner they really go out of their way to put down Chrysler. My suspicions were verified when I read about the authors and found that they are both British car journalists. Why is every British car journalist down on everthing American! All you have to do is pick up any British car magazine and you will find them trashing all Corvette's and Viper's. If they are reviewing a Jaguar the good point are classic Jaguar and the bad points are due to Ford. This same anti american sentiment is right here in this book.

In addition, in the back of the book is a summary of each model with many photos missing. Also many of the pictures in the book do not correspond to the text on that page. There is even mention somewhere that the Diable was never certified for US sale!

I would love to hear other opinions from others who have read this book.

Again I did post this on another forum and my reason for doing so is to prevent others from wasting their money on this obviously biased and incomplete "history" of Lamborghini.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Ray. As a Brit living here in the States, you have touched on something that has long bothered me. There is a definate bias and prejudice that permeates much of the British auto press in respect of America, American products and not least of all, Americans themselves. In particular, the UK's top auto journalist, Jeremy Clarkson, regularly takes sarcastic and mean-spirited cheap shots at nearly all things USA. The sad thing about this is that it only succeeds in making the British (and in particular Clarkson)bseem small minded and envious to people reading the articles outside of the UK. If they would restrict their commentary to all thing automotive, then at least you could sift through the provided info and come to some conclusion regarding the automibiles in question. Instead, invariably the articles treat BOTH the car AND the people who make them with disdain and contempt. Not a particularly edifying characteristic that my countrymen display.

The other thing that I find almost comical is a nation that now produces almost NO cars of it's own being constantly critical of a nation that produces millions of them annually. The British car industry is dead, and it was because the British auto press was xenephobic for most of the 20th century and didn't put necessary pressure on thier own manufacturers to improve their products. I am proud to be a Brit (and also very proud to now have US citizenship :salut: ), but I find it unbecoming of my fellow Brits to constantly try and talk down the US. To my fellow Brits I have one suggestion.......live here for a while before making such comments. As much as I love the UK.....I wouldn't live there again if the Queen passed Buckingham Palace to me.... :D .

Incidentally, Clarkson tested the new Corvette, and all he could find to criticise was the fact that you could 'push' in the rear bumber cover...!!! Jeremy....get a hair cut...and get a life ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well said!! I loved your response. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed! Its sad because I occasionally see an interesting issue of the British "Car" magazine but I always pass knowing that somewhere inside is another anti-american comment that will move my blood pressure up another notch. This same magazine ranked the world's best sports cars last year. No Vette, no Viper, but Jaguar, Lotus, and Aston Martin ranked very highly. I appreciate your comments comming from somebody who is from there. Thank You!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look at the photo on page 47 and the accompanying caption on page 46... you may notice something odd.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miuracorse2913 said:
Look at the photo on page 47 and the accompanying caption on page 46... you may notice something odd.
:eek: Another gem! Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
959 Posts
miuracorse2913 said:
What is it?

Incidentally, Clarkson tested the new Corvette, and all he could find to criticise was the fact that you could 'push' in the rear bumber cover...!!! Jeremy....get a hair cut...and get a life
Also there was the Spring-leaf Suspension. But I would bitch about that too :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any Worthwhile Books?

I searched Amazon.Com last night in order to find a Lamborghini "buyer's guide" to educate myself and make my upcoming purchase easier. I have purchased many Corvettes of the years and its always been easy to find a couple of very informative books which show different years, options, models, etc along with other commentary and information to make a purchase decision easier.

However, I found nothing. The last book out is mostly history as well as a US bash fest, and other books seem... incomplete. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone knows something about this book.

I missed this item on ebay , never seen it before. Its not on the ILR registry.

LAMBORGHINI AUTO ALBUM ARCHIV. FROM 1987 WITH 70 PAGES. THE TEXT IS IN TSCHECHOSLOWAKIAN LANGUAGE!!! WITH LOTS OF BLACK & WHITE AND COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS. SHOWS ALL LAMBORGHINI. FROM THE 350 GTV TO THE JALPA P 350. IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. MEGA RARE ITEM.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts