Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.. I am new here and am really impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone is..

(Quick intro)
I picked up my Gallardo in early October and was pleased with everything but the sound. So I have just ordered the Quicksilver straight thru exhaust. I will post a video (sound) clip of it as soon as I have it on so you folks can compare to the other systems. The manufacturer of the system provided a video clip but the car was inside their shop and they used a sub standard microphone so it canceled out most of the noise...so again I will try and get a better quality one and post it.

Now on to the Intake...(I hope I am not violating any forum rules..I am not soliciting this for sale....)

I am part owner of a car customization/performance shop in Arizona USA and as such we just can’t leave well enough alone!

The Gallardo intake is not a ram air system, but is a directed air system.. as you owners know, the air enters thru the side vents which form into a rubber tube directing the airflow into that giant box and then u-turning it into the throttle bodies.

Problems I see:

The air box is sitting on top of the tranny with the Cats on either side..so as the car runs down the road, the box begins to absorb lots of engine heat.

Restrictive. The air must make a complete u-turn.. but this is not as much as a problem as you may think. (This will sound silly) As we dug into the car, I took the intake hose, sat in the passenger seat of my friend’s truck and held it out the window as we drove down the street...with the tube bent into a u shape or with the tube straight there is virtually NO noticeable loss of volume of air moving thru the tube. This is good.

What is restrictive is once the air moves into the box, it must pass thru the restrictive air filters and change direction moving up into the throttle bodies. With the box being square the air hits the inside of the box in different angles adding to the restriction.

Now Gruppe M has attacked the problem like a 4 year old swings away at a piñata... I think they have missed the ball completely.

What they have is a $3500.00 (+ or-) carbon fiber box...

Same size box..still absorbing the heat from the engine sitting on the cats... but with two round Greddy type filters replacing the factory square filters.

And from what I have heard only 2-5 hp?!?! so we are paying darn near $1000 per HP...heck Lamborghini can build you a whole a car for around $320-$350 per horsepower! (US dollars)

So our solution we think is much more efficient, easier to change the filter, lighter, and is a true RAM-AIR system.

Picture this..:

Look at your throttle bodies and picture two 90 degree pipes coming off either side (one left and one right) going into the air vent chamber (the vents above your tires) and inside that chamber a big K&N come filter facing directly at the air vent coming in the car. That simple. That is what a true ram air system is…the incoming air directly impacting the filter…and not passing thru a box sitting on the cats gathering engine heat.

The funny thing is it takes less screws and less time to change one filter than it does to change the factory filters!!

I will post pics of the completed system by next Monday. We have an AWD dyno here in AZ so I will let you know the HP gains...

Sorry for the lengthy post...hope you find it interesting..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes!

You got it!

Also mabyee I should tie a small bird in front of the intake and see if he can out fly the suction!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Very interesting idea. Can't wait to see what it looks and performs like. Also, I assume you are describing the air intakes on the front of the car when you are speaking about "the bird and suction". I pulled a leaf off the front grill and tossed it and it was sucked right back on the grill like a jet engine intake. It certainly makes some howl.
Jake

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rampante said:
Very interesting idea. Can't wait to see what it looks and performs like. Also, I assume you are describing the air intakes on the front of the car when you are speaking about "the bird and suction". I pulled a leaf off the front grill and tossed it and it was sucked right back on the grill like a jet engine intake. It certainly makes some howl.
Jake

No actually I was referring to the little vents on the side that are for the intake...I was joking about all of the suction the new intakes would make..lol.

But you are right about the front vents...lol I had brought the car to Las Vegas with our Supras (We have a race and a show Toyota Supra for the shop) and driving around Vegas I noticed the temp was just a little bit higher than normal and sure enough lol there was a big flyer for a tittie bar stuck to the front...lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brentc said:
Mathias,

Does your performance shop have a website? Just curious what kind of work you guys do.

Thanks,

No, and we should. As we build up more business we will. It started as more of a hobby that is turning more profitable month by month.

Mostly we do interior restoration, and restore classic cars, as well as operate on the other spectrum of modern show cars and our love....drag racing.

We use the Toyota Supra as it is relativly easy to work on and the performance achievements from turbos can be stagering.

I promise you folks I will post as much information about what I am doing to the Gallardo including pic's of the intake on the car with everyting apart so you can see how it works. Something I learned from the military is KISS Keep It Simple Stupid....and what I think we have with this intake just makes sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mathias,

Look forward to seeing the air intake product. Please keep me informed, as we distribute some Lambo related products. It may be a product we could sell. You can view our website at www.dexmllc.com to get an idea of the products we carry. We are constantly increasing our product range.

And welcome to the Board. This is a great resource.

Jason Cardani
[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brentc said:
Mathias,

Look forward to seeing the air intake product. Please keep me informed, as we distribute some Lambo related products. It may be a product we could sell. You can view our website at www.dexmllc.com to get an idea of the products we carry. We are constantly increasing our product range.

And welcome to the Board. This is a great resource.

Jason Cardani
[email protected]

Thank you Jason!

While I feel we are no where near a "production" version, I am orginally a logistical engineer so no intake system is simple enough untill one can install it within 3-4 hours and minimal technical experience. I say 30-60 days for a "shippable" product. And MUCH less than the Gruppe M system.

With the Gallardo the dificulty is getting to the spaces... the car is a giant puzzle..marvelously engineered.

The final thing we have to do is create a cover for the anciliary fan that was located in a tub in the bottom of the intake box. The Fan will be bracketed to the main rear crossmember and is really the only issue for which we have to engineer something from scratch.

I will advise.....

PS Great looking site!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics will be coming....hell or high water!!

JRV said:
Thanks Mathias and Welcome to LTalk!!

Post some pics as soon as you get them.

Regards, JRV

Thanks for the kind reception to all of you.

I will be taking pics tomorrow as I finalize the installation...every angle will be covered.

The Dyno wont come for another week or so...I do have to work to pay for all of this foolery! :whip:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Sounds interesting, here in Switzerland we have a new dealership in Zürich and for sure swiss owners also like to have a better sound and performance...

The M-Systems intake is a joke, to expensive only for the looks, but japanese are like this, main thing is to have something that looks different, no matter if it makes sense.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
raymond said:
Sounds interesting, here in Switzerland we have a new dealership in Zürich and for sure swiss owners also like to have a better sound and performance...

The M-Systems intake is a joke, to expensive only for the looks, but japanese are like this, main thing is to have something that looks different, no matter if it makes sense.

Ahhh the thought of driving the Gallardo thru the Swiss mountains....

Am I mistaken...I thought the Gruppe-M Intake was manufactured by a German company? I assumend because of the spelling? (Or did I again just provide proof of us Americans global snobbery?)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Have a look at the old Forum, there is a thread about this carbon-intake.

German are the Dimex-parts, called Miura-Corse and also Hamann.
One of them is displayed at Auto Zürich, I will take some pictures and post them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
INtakes are in! (Pics coming!)

OK... finished up the intakes last night. Also installed the Quicksilver SUper SPort exhaust.

:eek: :eek:

My hands are still shaking.

1) The quicksilver exhaust... :eek: This is the exhaust that will save the company!...lol.

Well mabyee not the exhaust itself...anyone can make a straight pipe...and I will be taking one down to my buddys exhaust shop and have it replicated...problably could offer it for $800.00 out the door.

Anyway...unless you live in a retirement community..this exhaust I just cant explain how it sounds so I will be taking some vids in the near future so we can enjoy it.

I wonder what I will put in the space where the now useless radio is...(i'll never use it again!)

2) The intake...the Ram Air is in and OMG!!! the power I can feel OVER AND ABOVE the quicksilver.

I will be doing a dyo run next weekend and will post the results.

We know the Quicksilver ads 20HO and 40 'lbs of torque.. so the difference will be the gain from the intake.

Under acceleration with the windows down you now can hear the intake sucking in huge ammounts of air.... rediculous!

Pics and vids coming soon!!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
OK... finished up the intakes last night. Also installed the Quicksilver SUper SPort exhaust.

:eek: :eek:

My hands are still shaking.

1) The quicksilver exhaust... :eek: This is the exhaust that will save the company!...lol.

Well mabyee not the exhaust itself...anyone can make a straight pipe...and I will be taking one down to my buddys exhaust shop and have it replicated...problably could offer it for $800.00 out the door.

Anyway...unless you live in a retirement community..this exhaust I just cant explain how it sounds so I will be taking some vids in the near future so we can enjoy it.

I wonder what I will put in the space where the now useless radio is...(i'll never use it again!)

2) The intake...the Ram Air is in and OMG!!! the power I can feel OVER AND ABOVE the quicksilver.

I will be doing a dyo run next weekend and will post the results.

We know the Quicksilver ads 20HO and 40 'lbs of torque.. so the difference will be the gain from the intake.

Under acceleration with the windows down you now can hear the intake sucking in huge ammounts of air.... rediculous!

Pics and vids coming soon!!!!
What happened to this thread....where are the pics? :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts