Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New G owner, car is dying

Hey guys/gals, I've had my 04 G 6spd for a little over a month and have had a few things go wrong on me. Was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction seeing the nearest Lambo dealer is 6 hours away. Ive listed them in priority hahaha

1) My G has died on me twice in the last couple weeks. Just as I'm pulling away, it just shuts off. It will fire back up if I turn the key off, then turn it over, and it runs fine. It wont start if just try to start it without turning the key off first. It has ran fine for me all other times. Had CEL 1-5,6-10 with P0105 and P0137 codes which are MAP and O2 codes I think. Thoughts?

2) My 2 drivers side clearance lights and clearance light in the headlight went out, giving me a dash error. Tired to locate the fuse but cant seem to find anything wrong. I looked at the wiring diagram but cant make heads or tails of it. Could it be a relay or control box went dead?

3) since putting a few thousand KM on it, it is harder to shift into 1st and 2nd, all other gears go fine. its not always difficult, but sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to go in easy. Think it needs an adjustment? Ive read there are 2 places for adjustment, any idea which would help this symptom?

Thanks in advance, Ive found this site really helpful for little things i've had to do already. This site is awesome. :wave:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 down

Solved the issue with my lights, was a bad connection on the headlight clearance light and both side markers had blown bulbs... weird the whole side went out at once with bulbs and such. haha oh well, cheap fix.

Not the easiest things to change out. Had to remove the headlight for the front side clearance light, and remove the rear honeycomb cover and fender adjustment bar for the rear bulb.

Still fighting with the other 2 issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My buddy has an 04 G and his also dies just as you described. Did some research on it but have yet to find a solution. Seems to me that it would be sensor related, something tied to the speed sensor as it only happens at low speeds.

I also noticed that switching from 1-2 was the most difficult, he seemed to think it was normal and nothing was wrong. Any idea what your clutch life is?

Sorry I wasn't much help!

edit: Stalling could be an ECU update?
lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/04-6spd-g-car-stalling-when-reverse-first-car-issue-incorrect-technique-17887/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Clutch is pretty good i think. Was done about 10,000 km ago, engages at the top of the pedal travel. They put the upgraded clutch last time so should be good for a while.

Had that MAP sensor error, i know that controls fuel mixture..might be the culprit. If im cruising and keep the pedal in the exact same position, my engine slowly loses rpm until i press it down a bit more, then it wakes up and slowly accels. Ive read lots about those throttle body tubes corroding and blocking off... might have something to do with it...Ill keep digging!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That ECU thing is very interesting, im going to call Lambo tomorrow and see if mines been updated. Sounds exactly like what mine is doing. Im definitely not stalling the car, the car is dying. It was just at Lambo in Montreal, i hope they would have updated it if it hadnt been already, but ill call and see if there is any history of it.

As for the gear changing, i wouldnt find it that odd except for the fact its gotten worse in the 1500km ive owned the car. It used to be so smooth, now i kinda gotta force it more.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Toro, please share with us exactly how you got the headlight out. Did you have to remove the front trunk tub and access that way or remove the front wheel liner and go through that way? Step by step would be greatly appreciated!

Solved the issue with my lights, was a bad connection on the headlight clearance light and both side markers had blown bulbs... weird the whole side went out at once with bulbs and such. haha oh well, cheap fix.

Not the easiest things to change out. Had to remove the headlight for the front side clearance light, and remove the rear honeycomb cover and fender adjustment bar for the rear bulb.

Still fighting with the other 2 issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went in from the top, looked at the wheel well and it seemed like a pain.

Took off the hood cylinder, just a clip on each end. I then took off the plastic cover that runs along the side of the headlight (this is why you need to take the hood cylinder off...otherwise this plastic cover wont come out). Be sure to brace the hood up, one cylinder is not enough to hold it alone too long... the hood will fall if you dont.

Then had to undo the bolt at the windshield end of the headlight. Then I backed off the 4 nuts (2 studs) at the bumper side of the headlight.

I had to take out the clearance light bulb on the side of the headlight, it just twists out "1/4 turn". Dont touch the bulb when you get it out, its halogen and finger oil is not good for them.

The headlight is really tricky to slide out from there. There is a "male" pin that sits in a rubber grommet under the headlight on the windshield end. You have to get the headlight pushed forward (towards the front bumper) to get this out. So I lifted the front of the headlight a bit, so the 2 fronts studs were out of their slots, then had to pull the front of the headlight towards the centerline of the car. Like I said, this is very tight and frustrating, so be sure to use lots of swearing and cursing to get it to go. :D

Once its out of the stud slots, and sideways a bit, you can pull the headlight forward (towards the bumper) and out enough to work on it. Once you find the sweet spot to get the headlight out, its relatively easy to put it back or take it back out again....just a pain that first time figuring it out. Hope this helps anyone trying to do this. That rubber grommet thing held me back for quite a while until I found that it was holding me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'd think id get some sort of error code or something relating to that sensor, or timing error. I thought at one point it was maybe the Throttle Position Sensor... damn electrickery. haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke with the service guy at Lambo Calgary today and he said if it was sensor related its should be throwing me codes and alarms. He said he would focus on fuel delivery... fuel pump, filter or wiring as a first step. It makes sense seeing I have to shut the key off, then try to start it for it to fire. At key on, the fuel pumps pressure up the lines. Guess I'll play with that this weekend and see if I can find something that could be causing it.

His system says my car isn't missing any re-calls or anything of the sort. The hunt continues...

·
Registered
414 Posts
When I got my G I had stalling issues, would run rough for a second when I restarted it. I did a full tune up and nothing changed, I traced it back to a bad carbon canister, changed it and no problems since. Its hard to get at, take about 1hr to swap out. Be careful not to break the clips, they push in to release the hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
When I got my G I had stalling issues, would run rough for a second when I restarted it. I did a full tune up and nothing changed, I traced it back to a bad carbon canister, changed it and no problems since. Its hard to get at, take about 1hr to swap out. Be careful not to break the clips, they push in to release the hoses.
+1.

I had same problem on my 2006. Manifested itself when braking hard and came to a stop after some spirited driving. Engine would cut out. Not every time, but enough to doubt your confidence that would not do it again.:(

Had to push car off road and wait 5 minutes before tried to start it and then all ok.. Didn't throw any CEL.

If tried to start it straight away, wouldn't fire.
Engine smelt to me like it had been flooded with petrol.

Dealer changed carbon canister and never had problem again.:)

cheers,
john

·
Registered
785 Posts
How many miles? 1st to 2nd syncros are usually the first to wear in a gearbox that has had a lot of racing or aggressive driving (or someone who thinks they are a racecar driver). Banging from first to second, is very common and causes wear.....very rarely is the car driven without the 1-2 shift. As a result a slow, or difficult shift is common as it takes the syncro's longer to sycronize.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have a few leads to chase now atleast! :)

21000 km on the car, so still fairly low. Showed the shifting issue to my friend mechanic and he said it was most likely synchros too... so I guess that's not so cool.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Were you getting any evap codes for the canister? Or any codes at all?
I did not get any codes, I did a lot of research and rolled the dice, luckily I was right with the replacement of the canister, it was more than I expected it to be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts