Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,
We now have available one rotor which works both for the track and the street. I have been working tirelessly to bring fitments of Surface Transform's next generation carbon ceramic brakes to market for the Huracán, Gallardo, R8 and RS5. I'm proud to say they are now in production and ready for purchase whether you have the stock CCB package or the base, iron rotor package. I have a fitment for both.

While Lamborghini offers their own CCB option, the OE chopped carbon rotors are known to be problematic and prone to excessive, degrading wear when used on-track. They simply cannot stand up to the heat cycling of a track day necessitating them to be replaced at an extremely high cost.

Enter Surface Transforms rotors. They're mature technology, currently being used by OE manufacturers. They've been featured on every Koenigsegg since 2004 and are now offered on new McLarens as an upgraded brake package. In fact, the current record-holder at Phillip Island is a McLaren Senna with ST rotors. A full 80% of Sennas were ordered with these rotors at a substantial up-charge.

We have offered them for Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes AMG, Nissan GT-R, Ford GT (gen 2) and Aston Martin for years. There have never been fitments for Lamborghini or Audi until now.

A few highlights
-15,000+ mile track life
-Can be refurbished twice in their lifetime by a specialized mechanical process which is also affordable
-3X the heat transfer ability vs. OE CCB rotors
-Can be used with "normal" calipers/pistons, no special phenolic pistons needed
-Same weight savings as OE CCB's and substantially lighter than even aftermarket 2-piece rotors like Girodisc.
-Half the cost on average, of their OE CCB equivalent
-Bolt-on, no modifications needed
-Works with the standard 8-piston calipers on iron rotor-equipped vehicles
-Works with the 6-piston 19Z on the CCB-equipped cars, no modifications.
-Growing selection of brake pads for street and track helping to dial in your preferred braking feel
-All of the benefits of OE CCB rotors with none of the downsides
-Outperforms OE CCB's in every measurable performance category
-Improved NVH in street-driven situations
-3X as hard as OE CCB's

COST. The rotors are $6325 per axle (two discs) or $12650 for all four wheels. This is a premium, aspirational product, no doubt about it. But they are, hands down, the best brake rotors on the planet. If you happen to damage your OE discs, or just want to feel safe tracking your car, there's now a more affordable alternative which outperforms OE CCB discs or heavy, aftermarket iron discs. Either set your OE discs aside for resale/trade in purposes or sell them to recoup some of the investment. It's a no-brainer either way.

***We currently have the first two sets of CCB replacement rotors inbound from England. One set has already been sold to an R8 owner but one set is still available. If you're interested in that set, send me an email and we can get the ball rolling before someone else snatches them up. I don't expect them to last long. [email protected]

Fitments.
CCB to ST rotor upgrade-
380x38mm front discs and 356x32mm rear (OE-sized for front and rear)
Iron rotor to ST rotor upgrade- 380x34mm front discs (with caliper spacers) and 356x32mm rear
The iron rotor upgrade follows a standard practice of increasing the front disc size for added value and brings the total braking prowess closer to the CCB-equipped vehicles.

TECH DETAILS
The technical stuff...The Surface Transforms rotors are referred to as CFRC rotors, which stands for continuous fiber reinforced ceramic, and as stated earlier, is a mature technology used by many hyper car manufacturers including Koenigsegg since 2004. There are dozens of currently available fitments for Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren, Ford GT, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes AMG GT-S/R and Aston Martin. It's Audi and Lamborghini's turn.

Audi and Lamborghini use a CCB rotor (carbon ceramic brakes) which are made through a cast process which utilizes chopped carbon fiber. In theory, these brakes should offer a substantial performance gain over standard cast-iron rotors and in many ways they do. They also have two major pitfalls; replacements are prohibitively expensive and they tend not to do well on track, especially when overheated. As the resin is burned out of the disc, their ability to brake is lessened to the point where the discs must be replaced. Some owners have managed to do this in as little as one track day.

Enter the CFRC rotors from Surface Transforms which use a multidirectional matrix of continuous carbon fiber. Where the CCB rotors are cast in molds, CFRC rotors are an additive process and machined to the final dimensions. Not only are they more thermally efficient, they can be "renewed" good as new via an inexpensive process with quick turn-around.

This is, of course, the holy grail of carbon ceramic rotors. If you overheat and wear out a set of CCB rotors, there are currently no reliable options to refurbish them and can cost well over $20,000USD to replace. Not so with the CFRC rotors. Simply send them in for renewal and 10 days later, they're ready to go for another 5,000+ track miles.

CFRC rotors have on average a TRACK LIFE of 5,000 miles before needing a refurbishment, 15,000+ miles lifetime. The process is approximately $600 per rotor and therefore highly affordable and repeatable two times over the life of the disc. The rotors themselves come in at about half the cost of a set of OE CCB rotors. Track your car? Grab a set of these and don't worry about burning them up. Long term serviceability for street or track driven cars makes them cost efficient and there are brake pad options for each. In addition, these rotors are designed to work with carbon ceramic and normal cast-iron calipers. Owners of the standard brake-equipped models can now upgrade to a ceramic rotor and all of their benefits.

Pads are off the shelf Pagid pads and thus available from multiple vendors including RMR. In addition we'll be working with Carbotech and another yet unnamed big pad manufacturer (especially in the Porsche world, hint, hint) to offer additional choices. Pagid RSC1, RSC2, RSC3 and RSL29 can be used and are approved by Surface Transforms. Carbotech will be testing their various pads, many of which already work with the OE CCB discs, further expanding our pad options. Technically the RSC1 could do double duty, track and street. No swapping rotors, no swapping pads.

About me...I didn't want to clog the top of the thread with my details. My name is Michel Fortier I am a new vendor here, owner of RMR or Red Mist Racing, LLC. I'm also a vendor on R8talk and moderate a few tech heavy Audi forums. I am an enthusiast first and a vendor second. I do not own a Huracán or any Lamborghini for that matter but I do aspire to and I've always been a fan. I have extensive experience tracking and building track cars and began my journey in this field commercially by designing highly effective heat exchangers for the Borg Warner DL-501 dual clutch transmissions. It has, to say the least, snowballed from there.

I only sell products I wholeheartedly believe in and would use on my own vehicle in anger. We have some very capable partners in all of this including HCF out of Austin (they make lots of interesting Huracán parts!), just up the road from me. Price Cobb, former LeMans winner and all-around legend is also involved on the brake pad aspects of things and we're in constant communication and sharing ideas.

I am more than happy to answer any questions but for now, I'll leave a few photos we took at a recent photo shoot. Unfortunately, no Huracáns or R8's were available so we'll have to do with a lowly McLaren! I will have photos once the first set of Huracán/Gallardo/R8/RS5 rotors arrive stateside on Thursday. They'll be installed by the owner in preparation for a track day at VIR on June 7th and 8th.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos! The very first set of Huracán-specific (R8/Gallardo too) rotors have been delivered to an excited forum member on R8talk who has quickly test fit the front and rear rotors. Says he lifted the boxes off his front porch and smiled at how light they were. He'll get weights for the discs later today but I can tell you this, it'll be a great deal lighter than 30 pound Girodisc rotors and will outperform them by a vast amount, not only in wear but in outright performance. And rotating, unsprung weight is the most critical, effective weight you can remove from a car.

The "pizza" boxes.

I do have ONE MORE SET available immediately. [email protected] if you're interested!

Full track report coming soon. Testing Pagid RSC1's and possibly Carbotech XP12's.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Official weight is...
13 pounds front (5.89kg)
9 pounds rear (4.08kg)

Official press release...they waited til we had the rotors on the car.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little testimonial about the effectiveness of the Surface Transforms carbon ceramic rotors vs. OE chopped carbon CCB's. Mark recently set the production car lap record at Philip Island in a Senna using Surface Transforms rotors. A bit hard to read so I'll retype as I didn't create the original photo with text overlay:
"We regularly drive and also track our McLaren Senna, in addition to all of our McLaren's. When the front pads on the Senna needed replacing recently, I took the opportunity to change the entire cars' rotors and pads to the Surface Transforms CCST products. We have since done another 4000km and multiple track days on the ST rotors and in a phrase 'they are brilliant!'

The bedding in process was well explained and proved to be very effective. I have found that pedal modulation is improved over the standard OEM fitment and, from cold, there is a superior feel. To this point, even wear rate seems to be better! An all-around easy decision which I remain very happy with."
-Mark Ward, Production Car lap record holder-Philip Island Australia.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the first track outing in the RWD R8 with Surface Transforms rotors was a huge success. The brakes were phenomenal throughout the two days of track sessions at VIR with zero fade despite only running with Pagid RSC1 pads. The driver is fast enough that he can take advantage of a more aggressive pad like the Pagid RSL29. Overall lap times were far more consistent and even with traffic, lap times dropped by 3 seconds. This is his first R8 and has tracked a Porsche GT3 with Surface Transforms rotors and other cars extensively so he's still getting used to the R8 and how it feels. I can only see him getting faster! Will have photos up in the next few days and I've asked him to post up a review on R8 Talk. I'll be sure to share that here.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a photo of the first R8 fitted with the ST rotors, attacking VIR earlier this month during a Chin Motorsports track day. The R8 RWD is quite different in feel from the GT3 but he did comment that once he figured out tire pressure the car was damn fast! He'll have his own review up soon, he's just extremely busy at the moment and I'll be sure to either share it here or drop a link to it on R8talk.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is impressive is the reduced wear. How dirty do the wheels get compared to the other, factory, options from Lambo?
They're carbon ceramic rotors (with a better construction method and performance) so they'll dust, or lack thereof, just like the OE CCB's. I'll post up some photos here in a bit of the pad transfer onto the rotors. Looks "rough" but it's completely necessary to do this in order for this, or any disc, to work well. Kinda cool! I'll ask him how his wheels looked after the track event. He was using aftermarket rims for this track event but actually has Huracan wheels for daily driving work which IMO, look great. The best part about it is he can use the RSC1 on the street as well. No need to swap pads.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a closeup photo of the rotors showing the pad material transfer onto the face of the rotor, after the second day of a two-day track event. The rim itself is still fairly clean so brake dust should be a non-issue.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, we are not opposed to doing a group buy on these...given the cost, we could probably knock it down to six individuals to qualify. Would that spark some interest? I think once a few owners get them on their cars and provide real-world feedback on and off track, these'll be the go to for rotors. Let's get the ball rolling!

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your company name and contact information would be a good idea, preferably in the first post somewhere.
I completely overlooked announcing the company name. My bad, just excited to get the info out there about the Surface Transforms rotors. The company name is Red Mist Racing, LLC or RMR for short (Sig) and I am out of San Antonio, Texas. I did actually post my contact info [email protected] and a link to my site which has all of the necessary info there as well. I am a registered vendor here and on R8 Talk and am represented in the vendor section of this forum. I've been a member here since 2011. If you need anything additional I'd be happy to converse! I was personally involved in bringing out fitments for the Huracán, Gallardo, R8 and RS5 and continue to work to bring new pad choices for the ST rotors. Feel free to send me a PM or email.
Michel Fortier
Red Mist Racing, LLX
[email protected]
www.redmistracing.com

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Surface Transforms are the exception and you haven't seen these until now as there hasn't been a Lamborghini fitment. These are big in the Porsche and McLaren world but we offer fitments for Ferrari, Mercedes AMG GTR/S, McLaren, Porsche, Nissan GT-R, Ford GT (2nd gen) and Aston Martin.

Do not confuse them with the OE carbon ceramic rotors which use chopped carbon fiber and are cast. They are far different from the continuous fiber reinforced ceramic of the Surface Transforms rotors which are made in an additive, organic fashion and actually machined in the final process. They're 3X more thermally efficient and harder than OE CCB rotors.
-On average, 15,000 track mile life and handle the increased heat of track use unlike the OE Brembo rotors. They can be refurbished twice in their lifetime affordably.
-So thermally efficient they can be used with "normal" calipers, no phenolic spacers needed (a bonus for the RWD guys, bolt them on and go!)
-Proven, mature technology. They've been an OE fitment on every Koenigsegg since 2004 and are also OE on Aston Martin and McLaren when specified.
-Better NVH than the OE Brembos.

These literally outperform the stock carbon ceramic rotors in every performance category and come in at a lower cost while lasting longer on and off track with the minimal dusting CCB's are known for. There are literally no downsides to the rotors. Bolt them on, drive to track, enjoy the track weekend, drive home. No switching rotors or pads if you go with something like the Pagid RSC1. And these'll work with more aggressive pads made for iron rotors like the Pagid RSL29.

Bolt on applications for cars already equipped with CCB's as well as those with the base iron rotors.

I'm pretty sure the new STO has these rotors as stock. The tech they mention sounds eerily familiar. Brembo has come out with their own as fitted to Gordon Murray's T50 but they are mega expensive as Brembo had to create a new process and not infringe on ST's patents. I've heard 20K a disc!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow. It sounds like you are poised to take over. I have seen with inferior brands of various things that a LOT, and I mean a LOT of their budget is spent on packaging and tireless hype-heavy and facts-light advertising.

I don't want to see yet another better product get drowned in the background noise of the competitors, all of whom know they can't compete.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've personally not seen any other CCB offering other than Brembo and ST. I know they're out there, probably made in China or something (These are made in England, btw). I'm actually surprised these haven't caught on even more based on their use by OE manufacurers and their overall performance. I'm obviously hoping to change that!

Like I said, Porsche and McLaren guys have been switching over to these for years. Overall the trend is they tend to spend more on aftermarket mods than other makes, especially the Porsche guys. The Cayman GT4 guys won't hesitate to add ST rotors and that car costs 1/3 the amount of the Huracán. We'll spend $6K on a titanium exhaust which is less of a performance mod than removing 40 pounds of rotating mass. Girodiscs weigh 30 pounds a rotor (front). Every pound of rotating mass is worth 10 static.

If you go spec out a brand new McLaren 765LT, look for the track brake option. Those are ST rotors. My advice, don't spec them and purchase from me as it'll be less expensive that way and you're getting the same product.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts