Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
The South Texas Airstrip sounds good but that is about a 400 mile round trip for me. I am hoping if, and when, I join the Lamborghini Club that they could maybe work out a deal with a small local airport for an event as they do in Europe at times.
Renting out an airport is a big logistical nightmare. I know the Shift S3ctor guys personally and they have been doing it for more than 10 years? and know their stuff. Having to secure a runway in good condition, safety crews, timing, miscellaneous staff, sponsors, etc. And to make it all profitable, there has a to be a lot of cars signed up or the entry fee would be cost prohibitive. Your best bet is to stick with one of the very few that have been doing it for a while (i.e. these guys or The TX Mile).

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Renting out an airport is a big logistical nightmare. I know the Shift S3ctor guys personally and they have been doing it for more than 10 years? and know their stuff. Having to secure a runway in good condition, safety crews, timing, miscellaneous staff, sponsors, etc. And to make it all profitable, there has a to be a lot of cars signed up or the entry fee would be cost prohibitive. Your best bet is to stick with one of the very few that have been doing it for a while (i.e. these guys or The TX Mile).
Understood not exactly a cake walk........too bad.

Registered
2013 Super G
Oh man. Maybe we are related. I'm ortho as well. What's your specialty? I'm mostly shoulder/upper extremity but do knee scopes and ACL's.
Niiiice. I'm the old boring Hip and Knee Arthroplasty mostly. Also have Sports fellowship so love the ACLs too.

Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
Niiiice. I'm the old boring Hip and Knee Arthroplasty mostly. Also have Sports fellowship so love the ACLs too.
The two things I never do. Do TSA's but no knees or hips for me. And I def don't love ACL's. Just do them out of necessity.

Registered
Good luck trying to rent an airport. The cartel have them all booked for the next 4 years 馃榾

Registered
Hi Guys. I just bought a 2004 gated manual Gallardo. Now the Murcie will have her baby sister. I am really excited since it needs a little work. I have been really bored waiting on the Jalpa machine work. It is silver but I plan to wrap in verde ithaca. The Murcie is so perfect , I am leaving all original. However since this one needs some work why not twin turbos. That would be a blast to have a manual tire melter. I understand the Gs take turbos very well.
can't wait to see what you do with it! thanks for a smooth transaction

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Joel. The car should be here tomorrow. Papers still have not shown up from UPS. My power was out for 40 hrs. I had my pipes freeze upstairs during the outage. I had to rip out the upstairs bathtub last night to find the leak. That was lots of fun. My internet has been off since Sunday so I could not even check emails. (it just came on tonight) My greenhouse froze so I lost thousands of dollars in plants. My super high efficiency waterfall pump froze and my well froze. Luckily I have water and power tonight. There are people still without water and power. Ft worth has the water shut down because the sewer plants are shut down without power. The power company has a lot to answer for after this mess. There were no down lines just not enough capacity for an extended cold event. Damages will go into the billions. Since I have lots of plumbing experience, I knew how to find the leak and stop the house from flooding. I am sure there will be tons of flooded houses. Everyone buy stock in Servpro. It will skyrocket after this. Lee

Registered
Lee, sorry to hear about your water leak issues due to frozen pipes. My family in Dallas has been dealing with the same thing and I'm sure it is widespread. It is simply unfair to people to shut their power off during such frigid weather, so much more serious damage is done than simply making it uncomfortable in your house for a while. It's crazy to me that entire metro areas are implementing rolling blackouts because there is not enough grid capacity for people during extreme cold weather due to the use of space heaters (12-20 amps) and increased furnace/air handler use (15-30 amps)...and yet, GM is to sell ONLY electric cars by 2035. What happens when everyone on the block has an electric car that needs ~30 amps for 4-5 hours everyday, or when a family gets home at 5 pm after work/school and charges 2-3 cars at the same time? The electrical distribution grid simply does not have the capacity for everyone to drive an electric car, but no one ever talks about it or they just don't understand it. Maybe they will now.

Was glad to see you picked up the gated Gallardo with light front end damage. Looks like a fun project for you and your son!

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Our power shut down in Central Texas was 32 hours we were not fortunate to get a "rolling" few hour power interruption. Texas ERCOT board failed to adequately do their job.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Evan. I agree that they have no idea how to handle demand as was just demonstrated.Government is run by a bunch of burecrats and politicians that know nothing about how the real world works. I guess no one bothered to calculate how much demand happens when emergency heat kicks in and draws 10 or 20kw per house. Does no one realize that heat pumps dont function in low temps? If they need to control power just put meters on all the houses that can be sent a signal to limit consumption to 10KW total. That way people could manage the power they have and not need generators or be subject to blackouts. Hey 2018. How cold did it get in Gtown? It hit 4 below at my house. Lee

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Lee, our home is relatively new (6 years old) with good insulation so we generally keep out home at 73 degrees in the winter and after 32 hours without power the temperature only fell to 64 degrees in the home. Outside the temperatures at times was 12 degrees below zero with the windchill. Even with the "reasonable" home temperature to assure we had no issues with the pipes I was getting up every couple of hours at night and doing a wellness check. When the power came on then we were without water for 24 hours and to be honest that was more difficult to deal with than the power outage.
BTW, Lee glad you ferreted out that leak but if it had happened in my home that would have prompted an emergency call after I shut off the water main.
FYI, as it stands now half the population of Texas, 14.1 million people, are without drinkable water. Texas the most energy rich state in the country has been reduced to a third world status. What an utter disgrace........I for one am embarrassed of the inadequate response of our state. No more Lone Star State more like Shooting Star State.

Registered
Lee, our home is relatively new (6 years old) with good insulation so we generally keep out home at 73 degrees in the winter and after 32 hours without power the temperature only fell to 64 degrees in the home. Outside the temperatures at times was 12 degrees below zero with the windchill. Even with the "reasonable" home temperature to assure we had no issues with the pipes I was getting up every couple of hours at night and doing a wellness check. When the power came on then we were without water for 24 hours and to be honest that was more difficult to deal with than the power outage.
BTW, Lee glad you ferreted out that leak but if it had happened in my home that would have prompted an emergency call after I shut off the water main.
FYI, as it stands now half the population of Texas, 14.1 million people, are without drinkable water. Texas the most energy rich state in the country has been reduced to a third world status. What an utter disgrace........I for one am embarrassed of the inadequate response of our state. No more Lone Star State more like Shooting Star State.
I haven鈥檛 drank tap water in over 20 years. I have never trusted municipal water sources. With the numerous chemicals(fluorine, etc) and old municipal pipes, I could not convince myself it鈥檚 safe to drink.

just a pet peave of mine.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
I haven鈥檛 drank tap water in over 20 years. I have never trusted municipal water sources. With the numerous chemicals(fluorine, etc) and old municipal pipes, I could not convince myself it鈥檚 safe to drink.

just a pet peave of mine.
I understand your feelings others feel similarly but without potable water you can't use it to brush your teeth, rinse your mouth out, rinse off dishes or cook with. Two issues going on in Texas right now are possible bacterial contamination of the water source or no water flow at all (burst pipes). Add to that the trucks are not moving so there are supply chain issues. When I went to the grocery store yesterday there was no bottled water or milk to be had and there were bare shelves far worse than we saw with COVID. It's okay to choose not to drink municipal water but not to have water at all is profoundly impactful and families are hurting throughout this state.
The recovery will take some time because even after the weather warms the amount of damage to property from the burst pipes will take a while to sort out. It could take weeks, months, and possibly years to rebuild and rectify the damage. Of course, the Texas government will set up a committee they will submit their findings and then little or nothing will be done until the next weather challenge. As you have no faith in the municipal water I have little or no faith in municipal, state or the federal government to sort out this mess.

Registered
I understand your feelings others feel similarly but without potable water you can't use it to brush your teeth, rinse your mouth out, rinse off dishes or cook with. Two issues going on in Texas right now are possible bacterial contamination of the water source or no water flow at all (burst pipes). Add to that the trucks are not moving so there are supply chain issues. When I went to the grocery store yesterday there was no bottled water or milk to be had and there were bare shelves far worse than we saw with COVID. It's okay to choose not to drink municipal water but not to have water at all is profoundly impactful and families are hurting throughout this state.
The recovery will take some time because even after the weather warms the amount of damage to property from the burst pipes will take a while to sort out. It could take weeks, months, and possibly years to rebuild and rectify the damage. Of course, the Texas government will set up a committee they will submit their findings and then little or nothing will be done until the next weather challenge. As you have no faith in the municipal water I have little or no faith in municipal, state or the federal government to sort out this mess.
Well it鈥檚 going to get worse. The big covid package coming from big government is being targeted for bone headed pet projects, I.e. Pelosi鈥檚 under ground railway, that have nothing to do with covid. We still have $1 trillion that hasn鈥檛 been spent from the last package and we鈥檙e going to pay for another $2 trillion.
We are allowing 3k non vaccinated immigrants to cross our southern border, all the while unemployment is at unhealthy levels. The US is now trying to import 1 million H1B nursing visas! Why? The US has just put 1 million healthcare workers on unemployment.

it鈥檚 nuts. Our politicians are f鈥檈d in the head.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
Well it鈥檚 going to get worse. The big covid package coming from big government is being targeted for bone headed pet projects, I.e. Pelosi鈥檚 under ground railway, that have nothing to do with covid. We still have $1 trillion that hasn鈥檛 been spent from the last package and we鈥檙e going to pay for another $2 trillion.
We are allowing 3k non vaccinated immigrants to cross our southern border, all the while unemployment is at unhealthy levels. The US is now trying to import 1 million H1B nursing visas! Why? The US has just put 1 million healthcare workers on unemployment.

it鈥檚 nuts. Our politicians are f鈥檈d in the head.
Your logic is inescapable but I fear my friend you would make a poor politician, which is the highest compliment I could bestow on anyone. ;)

Registered
2013 Super G
Boys sorry to here about the woes going on in Texas. Crazy to think that it's regularly that cold here a couple months a year (including now) and no one at all even bat's an eye or misses a step. I guess that the infrastructure was never set up to handle it tho, whereas ours obvioisly was. Just sucks to hear words like "reduced to third world status", "empty grocery shelves worse than covid" and "no drinking water". I feel for you guys. Reading a lot about people living out in their Teslas to stay warm during the rolling blackouts. Just insane.

I always wondered why politicians have no formal education teaching one how to "be a politician"... and its also likely the world's best paid job where you don't need any education whatsoever! It ludacris how useless every single one is. In politics, As a group, why are they stupider and more useless than any as an individual. Usually teams of people are greater than the sum of their parts. Opposite in politics

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Great points everyone.The Gallardo showed up today and looks to be a breeze to fix. I spent today stopping the flooding in my one warehouse that was already there when i bought the land. (A pipe froze inside a concrete block wall) However that tenant just agreed to a new lease agreement and is buying a 5 acre tract from me and becoming my neighbor on my land. He is a really great guy so there was a real silver lining to this cloud. We are selling two 5 acre tracts off the 100 acres so we can have some neighbors (Hand picked).(My wife wants people fairly close just not too close. ) L 2018, I built this house 24 years ago so it has copper pipes and fiberglass wall insulation Yours probably has foam and pex pipes. Almost freeze proof. (Pex does not break when freezing just expand) It was a true disgrace what happened to the grid. I was lucky considering . there are many poor people about to get giant electric and water bills that will have no way to pay. Also renters without insurance will be screwed. I cant imagine what the water bill will look like for a house running wide open for a day or two. (20 gpm x 60 mins x 24 Hr ) It will not be cheap when normal consumption is 2 to 300 gallons a day. I understand that the power company is going to rape us as well. We have to pay ridiculous rates due to their screwup. I think the political pressure will be high enough to do something about this. Texans are mad as hell. Lee

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
I understand that the power company is going to rape us as well. We have to pay ridiculous rates due to their screwup. I think the political pressure will be high enough to do something about this. Texans are mad as hell. Lee
The rates are supposed to be fixed so if I get an unreasonable bill I will post it on the forum then raise hell with the power馃挕company.........wait, wait that's not accurate more like馃敠馃敠馃敠:rolleyes:

Registered
Great points everyone.The Gallardo showed up today and looks to be a breeze to fix. I spent today stopping the flooding in my one warehouse that was already there when i bought the land. (A pipe froze inside a concrete block wall) However that tenant just agreed to a new lease agreement and is buying a 5 acre tract from me and becoming my neighbor on my land. He is a really great guy so there was a real silver lining to this cloud. We are selling two 5 acre tracts off the 100 acres so we can have some neighbors (Hand picked).(My wife wants people fairly close just not too close. ) L 2018, I built this house 24 years ago so it has copper pipes and fiberglass wall insulation Yours probably has foam and pex pipes. Almost freeze proof. (Pex does not break when freezing just expand) It was a true disgrace what happened to the grid. I was lucky considering . there are many poor people about to get giant electric and water bills that will have no way to pay. Also renters without insurance will be screwed. I cant imagine what the water bill will look like for a house running wide open for a day or two. (20 gpm x 60 mins x 24 Hr ) It will not be cheap when normal consumption is 2 to 300 gallons a day. I understand that the power company is going to rape us as well. We have to pay ridiculous rates due to their screwup. I think the political pressure will be high enough to do something about this. Texans are mad as hell. Lee
Well... at least you guys still have your guns ... for a few more weeks 馃榾

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
They would have to pry 馃敨 from my cold dead hand.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts