Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first exotic... and an eye opener. I do most of my own minor repairs over the years and my Diablo is leaking washer fluid out the little motor on the bottle. Do I have to buy the whole bottle? Does it just lift out or is it bolted on. Tight fit there.... Also, I want to change the A/C back to R12 from 134A. I have plenty of R12 and I think it would cool better. I probably need to change the drier, and maybe the expansion valve; then let the oil out of the compressor and flush the system. I don't know if, when it was converted, they used ester oil or PAG. Where would be a good place to purchase these parts and what do I have to remove to get to the evaporator where the expansion valve is? Thanks in advance and look forward to a future on this site... :)

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,933 Posts
I know nothing about Diablo, but they are one of the sexiest cars ever built. Just want to welcome you to the forum. I‘m sure Diablo Clyde will chime in.

·
Vendor
1,494 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! The washer bottle doesn't come as an assembly any longer. You will need to buy whatever you need individually. Its probably the rubber grommets that need replaced and can help you out with whatever parts you need.

9420221 pump gasket

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Thank you, Russ, for thinking that I know what I’m talking about! But I know who does: Mikal82 took his bottle out because of a leak in his lengthy and very detailed post that you can search here. If I remember correctly he could not find the part so he used plastic weld to remold the seam that had split. In that discussion you will probably find how to take it out. I believe it also cross referenced to a Fiat part if I remember correctly. Do a search u der this Diablo Forum.

and congrats on your beauty or should I say beast! Can you post a few pics as we all like to see such eye candy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Posted a picture of the bottle. It is leaking probably at the seal of the forward motor and leaking down and rusting that motor. Posted a pic of the car. Haven't detailed it yet, been familiarizing myself with the car and checking it out. Road Forced the tires and changed brake fluid yesterday. AMH, will call you tomorrow..... for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Sharp looking car, where did you get it? and nice shop as well. Welcome to the forums, please continue posting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you... Bought it on Bring-A-Trailer from someone in New Jersey. Wish I had the time to have done a PPI but got it at a reasonable price. Some issues that I will have to fix though.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
all the fun, looking forward to your progress - now i remember this auction, i think you got a steal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two main issues though.... Trunk is falling out (I can get local body shop to fix) and the engine is still leaking oil between engine and trans. :(

I called the shop that did the work since they have a 12 month warranty, but they said the labor warranty was only good if they were at fault in not installing the seal properly....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
wil de groot has a good reputuation, lets see if they stand behind it.

whats the problem the trunk (frunk?)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
that was not disclosed. that said, the front is very susceptible to surface rust due to the poor sealing up there. I redid all the front tin members, not that big of a deal, and i suspect (hope) it hasnt leaked to the frame members. I made all new pieces up there, but the frame members were in tact - i bet thats what you'll find.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
and bonus to you - you have the skateboard trucks "valet" system - remove that right away as it loads up the non-frame members and will f' up the front end if you hit something serious. That said, I have them on my car and have not removed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ahh! So you're "oldsouth" on BaT?

Congrats on winning biker's Diablo, I really thought (as did many others) that the bidding would easily exceed $150k.

However......

Seeing that front floor rust, I would be seriously taking that up with biker. The whole point of BaT is transparency through pictures and seller involvement, especially so on a special car like a Diablo. It will take someone who is highly skilled to carefully TIG weld a new section in and may not be cheap. I also noticed that the structural points have surface rust for example around the lower control arm pivot point. Time to go through the chassis and make sure that all this is addressed, corrosion is an evil thing.

Same with the oil leak.....

I also own a '91 that I maintain at home and from time to time will add threads with lots of pictures to assist owners, so hopefully they help you in the future. I also buy most of my parts from Glen at AMH.

My car also has the front lifting system, that is still intact and working.

Keep us posted.
Yasin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the buy!! I'm a fellow '91 owner in Texas. What part of the south are you in?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yasin..... What is your front lifting system in your 91 Diablo? Aftermarket? Skateboard Trunk? My one side is missing the trunk so I was thinking about doing front airbags not sure how yet. I also bought the guts from a Gallardo lifting system but have not installed it (Not even sure if the shocks will fit) Please post pictures of your lifting system.

Dino... Are you talking about hitting something while driving or issues with going over speed bumps at low speed? The simplest solution for me was just to get the tracks and get them welded again. I have speed bumps in my area. Another issue is what type of tracks are used in the early Diablo?

Thanks for all your help

CCIE

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The problem with the skateboard truck setup is that they are not attached to the main frame of the car, they are attached to the spindly spiderweb of small members that support the front fenders and bumpers. So, if you hit anything with any force, its not going to transfer (and absorb) the force to the the frame member, but instead totally mess up the mounting geometry of the front fenders and bumpers.....bending thin members and displacing the body panels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts