Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years Murcielago owners have had limited choices for converting to 2wd. Most of the available kits supply a mount to support the transmission but this setup has a significant downside as it introduces driveline vibrations that would not otherwise be present. Check out this following video I put together that explains the problem and the new solution now available:

The new kit is available here and is about 1/3 the cost of the other popular conversion kit:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Looks great! So glad you made this better approach to supporting the engine and transmission the way the engineers designed the car, while still getting the bulk of the weight savings. And it's a better product for 1/2 the price! I posted the idea in 2020, so it's great to see it:

Nick is going to be pissed!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Stimpy but your math is wrong. The kit is closer to 1/3 the price :)

No knock against Nick though. He is a valuable member to the community and over the years has made a lot of great products for our cars. It's just that in chasing this annoying vibration in my car I learned about the issues Lambo had themselves and wanted a smooth ride. The diff mount method with keeping the torque tube is definitely the best way to achieve this. I have put over 5K miles on my kit and had a super experienced Lambo tech drive my car. He told me that my car drove as smooth as any Murci he has ever driven (and he has driven a LOT).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thanks Stimpy but your math is wrong. The kit is closer to 1/3 the price :)

No knock against Nick though. He is a valuable member to the community and over the years has made a lot of great products for our cars. It's just that in chasing this annoying vibration in my car I learned about the issues Lambo had themselves and wanted a smooth ride. The diff mount method with keeping the torque tube is definitely the best way to achieve this. I have put over 5K miles on my kit and had a super experienced Lambo tech drive my car. He told me that my car drove as smooth as any Murci he has ever driven (and he has driven a LOT).
1/3 is amazing!

I hope he doesn't attack your exhaust modifications like he did mine! LOL

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just bought one. excited to try it out.
What tires are you guys all running on OEM wheels these days? My Corsas are nearing the age limit.

·
Registered
LP640
2,303 Posts
Nick is going to be pissed!
Pissed about the product design, not at all. It's great to see more options for 2WD. Especially since the lack of popularity in this modification in recent years has resulted in me discontinuing it - selling what I have left in stock and not doing any further production runs - so it would be nice for owners in the future to have it available.

Pissed about the blatant lies in the video and sale page that claim my system causes vibrations. . . yeah, I have a problem with that as I'm sure do the owners running the RP conversion. There have been literally zero complaints about vibration with my transmission mount in its 6 years of production and 50+ Murci's running it. It really speaks to the poor character of the company and its owner.

Pissed about the price, not at all. The cheapest 2WD conversion costs $0 and has been around since '02. It's clear why this conversion costs less and I never set out to make the 'cheap' option. My conversion consists of higher quality components with a more intricate design and the price reflects that.

Remaining stock of the final production run of the original RWD conversion: Manual 2, E-Gear 4

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no interest in entering into a public argument with Nick. He has been an asset to the community for a long time and it is disappointing to see him get so obviously defensive about this new option. It is further upsetting to see him attack both my character and and that of my company. I'm happy to let the market decide and will provide the following background so that customers have a good understanding as to where these parts are coming from.

Carbonio Design & Engineering has been in business for over 20 years and in that time has offered engineering services and parts supply to 19 different OEM's in the automotive world. Their parts are universally known for excellent quality and after sales support. All parts are manufactured in Canada to ISO 9001 standards and to SAE requirements and are manufactured on a cost plus model so that no brand gets a 'luxury tax' to its pricing.

Myself, I'm one of the owners of Carbonio and took on this project not as a means of competing with Nick but to solve a problem I was chasing on my own car. While most Murci owners only have exposure to one or two cars, I've driven over a dozen. I've been lucky enough to race internationally for 30 years including endurance races at Le Mans and Spa Francorchamps, won multiple national championships, have been paid to race, and have worked as a development driver for multiple car brands / manufacturers. All this experience leaves you pretty well tuned in to vibration and ride quality which is why I found that supporting the transmission via the torque tube offered the smoothest solution.

·
Registered
LP640
2,303 Posts
To be absolutely clear, your character was brought in when you made false claims about the Reid 2WD conversion in both your YouTube video and your Carbonio website, no other reason. I have zero issue with your version of the 2WD and you are not the only 2WD competitor, nor are you the cheapest option. You seem to have a good entry-level design/materials. The problem is you make false information for financial gain, which is a first in this segment, and really shows your poor character.

Additionally, it seems as if you have absolutely zero understanding of the Murci chassis since your video goes into detail on the OE upper transmission mount, which has nothing to do with the Reid mount. Further, it is well documented that making the upper transmission mount stiffer adds a tremendous amount of NVH to the Murci.

You've driven a dozen Murcis . . . yet none with the Reid 2WD conversion. It is pathetic that someone with your history decided to make baseless claims against 50+ owners and multiple well respected Lambo shops, none of which have reported vibrations. Personally, I’ve put over 50k miles on three of my own Murcis in virtually all conditions and driven countless others. Hell, I have so much experience with Murci 2WD that you literally quote me for your product. lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any negatives to keeping the torque tube open which can carry water and debris towards the internals of the transmission?

And is this for egear and gated, or do we need to specify?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 'kit includes' portion of the website itemizes that a cap is supplied for the torque tube to cover its opening.

This is very much an extra safety. As a point of reference a few months back I drove my Murci cross country. 3800 miles and at least 500 of those miles were in heavy rain. In addition I drove a little on dirt roads (albeit at low speeds). At the end I got under the car to have a look and there was not even a coating of dust on the cover. If you look at the video and see how clean the steering rack and other areas are up there, those are un-cleaned in over 10K miles of driving. It should give you an idea as to how isolated that area actually is.

To answer your second question, again the website clearly states that the same kit is used for both Manual and E-Gear cars. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Nuvolari, my bad for not reading the detailed description on your site. I'll be ordering a kit soon.
Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just Picked up the kit from Rob. Looks just amazing and great price. Will be replacing my water pump and installing the 2WD conversion and more importantly the manual conversion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts