Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’ve been searching for an LP640 for some time now and last week I was on a family vacation in an area where one of the cars I was considering was located. I took the opportunity to see the car in person and take a test drive. Now I’ve driven a friends murci before but it’s an 03 gated car and it’s been a few years so I have no experience with the egear system in any Murci. So basically I have nothing to compare my experience with. I’m not sure what noises or feelings are normal when driving an LP640.
So what I am asking is what should I be looking for specifically when I am test driving and inspecting the car?
The car I drove seemed to be in ok shape. I drove the car in various modes and speeds and noticed the egear system was very rough, clunky and jerky during shifts and the car seemed to cut the power a lot during shifts even tho I never lifted off the throttle. Is this
Normal??
Also when the car was idling I gave it a couple of quick stabs at the gas to rev it and it seemed to rev kinda slow. I heard the throttle bodies open and the suction of air but the engine didn’t seem to rev very fast. I seem to remember my friends gated 03 to rev a little quicker while in neutral. During the drive the car felt like it had a lot of power and sounded good. But the shifts concerned me. I also noticed some clunking noises from the steering or/and front suspension and the steering felt very heavy during slow moving maneuvers like parking or doing a K turn. Almost like the car didn’t have power steering. Is this normal?
Finally going over bumps caused a lot of rattle and rumbling sounds from the suspension. I did a K turn in the dealer parking lot and I noticed some clunking noises when going from 1st to reverse and back to 1st again, which could have been from the gearbox or the front end. I couldn’t tell.
So what I’m saying is, I’m not sure if the car I drove was just a POS or if the “rawness” of the LP640 is just that raw that you feel everything.

Any input from owners of LP640s would be appreciated to help me choose a good car so I don’t get stuck with a lemon.
I thought I knew what I was looking for but after this test drive I feel very confused. Please help a newb future LP640 owner.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

·
Registered
156 Posts
Clunking while turning / at low speeds is just AWD bind. Common on all of these big all wheel drive cars.

The LP640 definitely isn't fast revving (like the Aventador or Huracan). So that sounds normal to me too. And the shifts are slower than the modern cars as well.

You should have a proper PPI done, and get a clutch snap (% reading) as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clunking while turning / at low speeds is just AWD bind. Common on all of these big all wheel drive cars.

The LP640 definitely isn't fast revving (like the Aventador or Huracan). So that sounds normal to me too. And the shifts are slower than the modern cars as well.

You should have a proper PPI done, and get a clutch snap (% reading) as well.
thanks for the reply. I will always get a PPI done before any purchase. The dealer it was at did the clutch snap for me as well. I was in the process of lining up someone to do the inspection but the car was sold. (Btw car was for sale for 6 months and as soon as i go and look at it, it sells the next day). Anyway no big deal that the car sold I’m sure I’ll find another one, but I want to be able to know what is right and what is wrong when I’m test driving any future LP640s

·
Registered
172 Posts
I personally am very easy on mine so I wouldn't be of much help however the clunking at low rpm from 1st to reverse is normal. Mine does that and it's just the rawness of the car. The suction you hear from the throttle bodies is absolutely normal as well. Yes the rev's are no where near as fast or crisp as the newer models. If you drive an aventador and compare it to this one it's night and day. BUT..... you can't go wrong w/ an LP.

Some guy was nice enough to film the murci at an event I attended. Just the sound is well .... I'll let you listen for yourself :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the video great looking car.
Another thing i noticed while on the test drive was that the car seemed to get rattled when driving over bumps and broken pavement. Ive driven alot of cars that had rock hard suspension but the LP640 seemed to make alot of noise inside the cabin when going over bumps. the car felt solid but when I hit the bumps it almost seemed like I was driving an old honda with rotted out suspension bushings. Not in the way that the car felt like it was falling apart, but in a way where it seemed like a harsh ride. Its hard to explain what I was feeling but i cant imagine a car that was 350k+ when new would feel like this even tho its 14 years old. BTW the car i drove has 14,500 miles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know what you are talking about. I've heard it in my Gallardo before. I would say the bushings might be worn out. The worst part is tracking down which one to replace because it can be any of them. Depending what state and all the climate can take a toll on the rubber material they used on these cars.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Also when the car was idling I gave it a couple of quick stabs at the gas to rev it and it seemed to rev kinda slow.
This was a software decision by Lamborghini. If you add the 3rd party Sprint Booster ($300-400) to the throttle system, you can completely change the throttle response with 20 different settings to get the rev characteristics you want.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This was a software decision by Lamborghini. If you add the 3rd party Sprint Booster ($300-400) to the throttle system, you can completely change the throttle response with 20 different settings to get the rev characteristics you want.
curious if you send out the ecu for a tune say to "Gintani" would that be the same as what you are describing above?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
curious if you send out the ecu for a tune say to "Gintani" would that be the same as what you are describing above?
There was some conversation about that in another thread on here about Sprint Boosters, but I don't remember the conclusion. I would ask Gintani. They should know what a Sprint Booster does, and if they can duplicate the functionality. One key thing about the Sprint Booster is that it has a controller so you can change the settings, which you won't be able to do with a tune.

My point though is the rev response is not a function of the engine, but the engine management. People seem to think there's something inherent in the design of the engine that prevents it from being more free revving, and that's proven to not be true with the Sprint Booster.

·
Registered
2007 LP640 Balloon White
162 Posts
My '07 LP640 is quiet over bumps...sounds to me like it has some suspension wear or may need new shocks. Also, I would highly recommend the sprint booster. I actually started laughing when I first plugged it in, it's that much better. Fun to try different levels too. Easy install, maybe 10 mins at most.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well good to know. I’m thinking I avoided a POS for lack of a better word. So since the car sold I don’t mind telling which car it was. I’m hesitant now to share on here what car I’m looking at because the last time I shared, someone told me the car I was looking at had issues and I shouldn’t buy it etc etc and that person ended up buying it themselves. Now Im realizing they told me that so they could buy it themselves cause it was a very good deal.

Anyway it was the white car at Lambo Sarasota. I’m pretty sure whoever bought it did so sight unseen and without getting a PPI. The car was for sale since October and as soon as they heard I was test driving it they pulled the trigger and bought it. They are in for a big surprise when they take delivery of the car cause it looks great in the pictures but The interior looks like it has double the amount of miles then the car shows on the odometer.
A big thanks to this message board and the info it provides cause it’s priceless.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
thanks for the video great looking car.
Another thing i noticed while on the test drive was that the car seemed to get rattled when driving over bumps and broken pavement. Ive driven alot of cars that had rock hard suspension but the LP640 seemed to make alot of noise inside the cabin when going over bumps. the car felt solid but when I hit the bumps it almost seemed like I was driving an old honda with rotted out suspension bushings. Not in the way that the car felt like it was falling apart, but in a way where it seemed like a harsh ride. Its hard to explain what I was feeling but i cant imagine a car that was 350k+ when new would feel like this even tho its 14 years old. BTW the car i drove has 14,500 miles.
The suspension rattling could be the sway bar rubber bushings. Super easy and inexpensive DIY, but there was also a free recall at the dealer for these bushings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drove a friend's LP640 today that is in Mint shape and mechanically perfect and now I know what the car is supposed to feel like. The car at Lambo Sarasota has alot of issues. The shifting was ok, but that was about the only thing that was decent about the car. Lots of noises and rattles coming from suspension. The Leather on the dash against the windshield is coming apart more then Ive ever seen. The revving that seemed sluggish to me is exactly that. A quick stab on the gas in my friends car and the revs jumped up to about 3k rpms and the car I checked out the revs would maybe get to 2k rpms with the same quick stab of the gas pedal. So another issue there. Im fairly convinced that the car I test drove has double the amount of miles that it shows on the cluster. The interior dash panels seem to be loose and the radio does not turn on. The headliner was falling down in some spots. I was upset that the car sold, but now after seeing what the car should have been like i realize that I avoided a big headache.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts