Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Got a relatively significant issue. Last week I purchased my 2018 Perf Spyder and as part of the deal, it was to be certified for 2 years, which was very important to me because I don't want any massive repair bills. The We-Owe form shows the 2 year warranty. I picked it up on Saturday.

Today they called me and said that all North American cars can only get a 1 year certified warranty at the most. I wouldn't have purchased it without the 2 year warranty.
Now they want to know what I want them to do since they claim not to be able to provide what they contractually committed to...

BTW, I am a lawyer. :)

He's quick to point out that I didn't pay for the warranty and my response to that was I paid a heckuva lot of money for a car that was supposed to have a 2 year warranty and that's what I want.

Anyway, he told me to suggest something (besides unwinding the deal and giving the 2nd year warranty). What would you do? Let's exclude sue them to enforce the terms of the contract, because while I can, it's a pain in the backside so I'd rather not if there's another solution that makes sense.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These cars are bulletproof. If it were me, I would have them refund you $5k, or instead include all your maintenance for the next 3 years.
Thanks Jr Mint! I was thinking of that. BTW, how much is an oil change?

And... I love love love viola parsifae! Before I decided to go with the perf (which is white - I'm just gonna call it white instead of being all bianco blah blah blah!😁), I had configured an Evo in viola parsifae. Great choice. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can't they give you the one year warranty this year and then next year give you another one year warranty like if you were buying it then. I am thinking what they are saying is that the warranty can only be bought in one year increments. Either way, to be honest, it is the dealers duty to know what and what they can't do. I feel like they owe you something for their error even though not intentional. Let us know how it goes. I also assume it was a Lamborghini dealer and not an independent dealer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the purchase price or the cost of the 2nd year? Really, though, getting a few thousand bucks back isn't really worth to me what the warranty is worth though.
For the cost of the second year of warranty. Just figure out what it's worth to you. You already know you can unwind the deal if you have to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't they give you the one year warranty this year and then next year give you another one year warranty like if you were buying it then. I am thinking what they are saying is that the warranty can only be bought in one year increments. Either way, to be honest, it is the dealers duty to know what and what they can't do. I feel like they owe you something for their error even though not intentional. Let us know how it goes. I also assume it was a Lamborghini dealer and not an independent dealer?
Well, I can explore that, but technically they can only add warranty to a car in their inventory, so technically, i'd have to sell it to them and buy it back and since the sales tax cost more than some of the cars I've bought... that might not be a good move. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What state are you in? I am in Missouri and all state laws are a bit different.
I'm in Maryland, but right now, I don't want to say which dealer it was (and, to confirm, it was a dealer, not an independent (who clearly couldn't do a CPO warranty) cuz I think they'll do the right thing by me and I want anyone to have a poor opinion of them because they goofed (seriously big goof, but a good nonetheless).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in Maryland, but right now, I don't want to say which dealer it was (and, to confirm, it was a dealer, not an independent (who clearly couldn't do a CPO warranty) cuz I think they'll do the right thing by me and I want anyone to have a poor opinion of them because they goofed (seriously big goof, but a good nonetheless).
Feel free to call me, I may have an idea. 816 729-3927 name is Mike

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,805 Posts
These cars are bulletproof. If it were me, I would have them refund you $5k, or instead include all your maintenance for the next 3 years.
I agree with Jr. Mint. Get the refund which is reasonable and be done with it. Also this shouldn't create any ill feelings with the dealer. I think it is a fair deal on both sides. Then get on to enjoying your beautiful car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think getting a refund of $3-5k is more than good. Would have you still bought the car with a one year warranty from the beginning? I bet you would have and you probably would have paid the same amount of money at the time. You have a wonderful reliable car, after all it's not a Mclaren.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a CPO and declined the warranty, it was an additional cost and completely unnecessary IMO. These cars are very reliable.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would ask for 10K or they sign an agreement that any warranty costs occurred in the second year will be repaired by them at no cost to you. (it must be done by their dealership)If they are confident in the car, they should be willing to cover it. Start high and let them think you are willing to reverse the sale. They do not want to buy the car back. They probably made at least 20K on the car. If they have to give back half, it will be better than reversing. Like in Poker . it only matters who wins, not who has the best cards. I am a very hard negotiator since I buy land all the time. There is often way more money on the table than people realize. Make sure they think you are willing to reverse and REALLY want that second year. Send them the offer then shut up and wait for a response. They will probably counter but if you start with 3 to 5 , you will end up at 2 or 3. There may be 10K on the table so why not ask. This was their screw up not yours. Lee

Reactions: xtreme

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think there was realistically only one dealer who had the car you are talking about. And your location probably isn’t hiding much of that either. I’d be interested in talking offline about it as I probably know the players involved.

·
Registered
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2
85 Posts
I'd ask for a few $k back, keep the car deal as it is, and put some miles on that bad boy! As I'm sure you know there's very limited inventory of cars these days so if you unwind this deal there's a good chance you may not land another L for quite some time without paying a crazy premium.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Would either go for 5K or ,if you plan to use that dealer for Maintenance, have him throw in 2 years of annual maintenance (Usually 2-3K per year). Later is easier for him as he is eating some labor and it is downstream. Agree with all that these cars are bullet proof and warranty is expensive. On my AV it was 7K for 1 year; passed and now in year 2 with no issues and many smiles as I drive it like I stole it. Do the Maintenance at the intervals recommended and these cars will last a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts