Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car only came with one fob and I tend to lose things so I’d like to buy another. Is one dealer better than another? Should I pick up a used one on eBay and can I have it programmed somewhere? Unfortunately the nearest dealer is 3.5hrs away from me.

·
Vendor
1,596 Posts
I sell them cheaper than the dealership and will need copy of title or registration plus phot ID for proof of ownership. Takes 4-6 weeks on special order, comes precut to the vin number from factory and you will need to have it programmed at the dealership or authorized service center after receiving in order to make it start the car. Pretty simple process as I do a few a month on these. Contact by email with info if interested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I sell them cheaper than the dealership and will need copy of title or registration plus phot ID for proof of ownership. Takes 4-6 weeks on special order, comes precut to the vin number from factory and you will need to have it programmed at the dealership or authorized service center after receiving in order to make it start the car. Pretty simple process as I do a few a month on these. Contact by email with info if interested.
I would also be interested, how much would it cost?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got my 2nd key/fob from Glen at AMH. Then just took it to my local dealer to have it programmed. Glen made it easy. I would definitely recommend him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently called dealer and got a similar quote for VIN on car i am looking at purchasing. Price was $322 for the FOB and $121 for the programming... so about $400 seems correct.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do (once I get my paperwork from the DMV). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
Just did mine also. Bought from Glen as well. The dealer needed both fobs, not just the new one, and I believe they charged me an hour of labor. I heard the OP say he lives 3 1/2 hours from a dealer but I’m not sure there’s any way around it. Talk to them in advance so they can do the work while you wait, and maybe grab lunch while they do the work. I understand it’s only 15 minutes but they’ll charge you an hour.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just did mine also. Bought from Glen as well. The dealer needed both fobs, not just the new one, and I believe they charged me an hour of labor. I heard the OP say he lives 3 1/2 hours from a dealer but I’m not sure there’s any way around it. Talk to them in advance so they can do the work while you wait, and maybe grab lunch while they do the work. I understand it’s only 15 minutes but they’ll charge you an hour.
That's what I did. I just waited there while they did it. Didn't take them very long. 20-30 minutes and I was back on the road.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just took it for a spin. TBH after 45min behind the wheel I doubt I’ll be driving it 600+ miles round trip to the dealer for a few reasons:
1. I’ll use up enough gas to power a small nation
2. Likely be arrested for going 80 over the posted limit
3. I’ll go deaf with the turbos / open exhaust

Then again, it’ll probably be the best road trip I’ve ever taken heehee 😜

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
Plumber, problem is if you lose the fob you are totally DOA. You’d have to wait for Italy to ship new and your car is inop until it arrives. I bought mine as a fail-safe.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Totally agree. I’m getting one once I have DMV papers in hand. Unfortunately since it’s an out of state purchase I have to go in person. Due to COVID it’s appt only at the DMV and next avail is mid Feb 👎

Plumber, problem is if you lose the fob you are totally DOA. You’d have to wait for Italy to ship new and your car is inop until it arrives. I bought mine as a fail-safe.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Just took it for a spin. TBH after 45min behind the wheel I doubt I’ll be driving it 600+ miles round trip to the dealer for a few reasons:
2. Likely be arrested for going 80 over the posted limit
3. I’ll go deaf with the turbos / open exhaust

Then again, it’ll probably be the best road trip I’ve ever taken heehee 😜
Do the road trip, but wear Bose noise cancelling head phones:)
cheers,
john

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
hahhahahah I can understand you're pain there. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts