Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the last leg of my restoration project. In a few weeks I will have the interior installed. I expect the car back in my own garage by the end of this month with only the paint to finish. I was intending to jump into sanding and paint soon as it arrived. However, I just took on a project that will not allow me to start until June.

If I start the paint in June I will waste two - three months of good driving.

Any recommendations on a good exotic paint shop familiar with Diablos that will take my car the first week in March and complete the job by May 1st?

I want to keep the color superfly yellow.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Burrard AutoStrasse in Vancouver, BC

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CARBUFF, I'm not opposed to travel, but Vancouver, BC is a little too far from New York City.

Anyone know anything about ExoticCars in Frenchtown, NJ? Do they paint their own or send it out?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't believe that Wil has the facilities to undertake such a large job. It has to do with zoning, ect...... He sends his big jobs out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
frank said:
I don't believe that Wil has the facilities to undertake such a large job. It has to do with zoning, ect...... He sends his big jobs out.
Frank,

If you can't keep your facts straight please don't say ANYTHING. I was very patient with you when you came to our shop. I gave you a tour and didn't complain when you used up a lot of my valuable time while you were trying to get your camera to work.

In a propper "paint job" an enourmous amount of time goes into preparation, preparation and more preparation. Once the car has been sprayed, which takes less that one percent of the total labor, there is still another enourmous amount of work to sand, buff, polish, clean the car, cleaning the trim parts, re-installing the trim parts, etc. Yes, our climate controlled spray booth is at another location but rather than tell YOU that I should have just shown you the door if this is the payback I get.

We have won many first place prizes with our ground-up restorations including Ferrari National first place and if I recall those cars had paint on them.

Wil de Groot

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm sorry Wil....I didn't mean any disrespect. I wa only conveying what you said to me when I asked you about one about one of the cars you were restoring. I was mistaken to think that you did not have the facilities to do such work....for this, I am again sorry. I have nothing but respect for the work you do, and have recommended your shop numerous times to other owners I know and on other sites. Please except my appologies.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wil,
Your shop is highly regarded in this area. It is one of the few high end exotic car facilities in the northeast. After we spoke I tried to find out more about your shop and talked with many of your very satisfied customers. You may be pleased to know that I didn't receive any negative feedback...none!

As you can tell by my post I am almost ready for paint. I am familiar with the process you outlined in your post and know first hand how long things take. You couldn't be more correct. Time in prep is everything. Putting paint on is the easy part. This car seems to suck-up time when you are working on it. Just taking things apart...wow!

I would love to get the car painted soon as it returns, but don't want to miss another summer without driving it.

I will get it back from Ohio in a few weeks.

I'm out of town this week, but will call you to discuss options.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might also call Karosserie in King of Prussia, PA. They did the bodywork on my Testarossa when it was involved in a minor accident and they did stunning work. They do mostly Ferrari, but also some other highline and antique work.

Dick von Medicus is the owner and a super nice guy - 800-783-8024. Tell him I sent you. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can attest to Will's work. He did paint work on my 97 Roadster. Bad scuff on the rear quarter pannel and small repair on the corner of the door where the paint had crazed. Excellent work. If you need more raves contact me. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
frank said:
I'm sorry Wil....I didn't mean any disrespect. I wa only conveying what you said to me when I asked you about one about one of the cars you were restoring. I was mistaken to think that you did not have the facilities to do such work....for this, I am again sorry. I have nothing but respect for the work you do, and have recommended your shop numerous times to other owners I know and on other sites. Please except my appologies.
Frank,

Thank you for your reply. I just found it by accident. Sorry for not responding sooner. I just don't spend a lot of time on these forums, interesting as they are.

As I just messaged a guy out west that I also inadvertantly ingnored: It's not that I dont want to communicate but there are only so many hours in a day. If I could eliminate sleeping I would.

Anyway thanks for the kind words and sorry for being touchy. Please give my regards to Bob.

Wil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts