Lamborghini Talk banner

NAPA Ignition Parts on Diablo

73K views 115 replies 37 participants last post by  Human 
#1 ·
I am pleased to report that everything works.. Just fired her up.
Coils, Dist Cap, Rotor...made for mid-90's Jag V12.

#14 ·
Carolo - NAPA is a large franchise chain of stores here in the US.

I went to a local NAPA...it's a special order which means 2 days wait. I told them to overnight, which they did.

Now what you have to do is call a local store, get it, then ask if they can send it to you in the UK. You'll have to prepay with credit card, I assume.

You can find a store on their web, but no online ordering..the one I used in FL is 954-983-3150.

If it does not work out for you, let me know. If you have pay-pal or prepay with a check to me I'll order it and ship it DHL/FED-Ex to you.

PM me if you need help.

#15 ·
Hi Frank

Thank you.. Dam coils.. I was talking to lamborghini guru Del Hopkins about the coils failing and he said there is a diode that you put in line from the ecu that helps prevent this happening.

I will see how i get on and let you know.

Best Regards

Carlo

#16 ·
he said there is a diode that you put in line from the ecu that helps prevent this happening.
I've heard of this Mod before....the thing that makes no sense about the Diode Treatment is that the Computers (LIE's) run on 9 volts & 1.5 amps.

This is in no way enough to back feed a coil into default.

Additionally, not one of these gurus has ever shown that their Modded systems lasts longer than the factory set-up!

Sounds good over the phone, but until I can see PROOF...I'll just keep smiling!!

:)

#17 ·
Let me post a few comments now that I've installed everything:

First, understand that my car is a 92 with 8K miles. Plugs, coils, dist, all original and never changed from new. In other words 13 years old. Installed Tubi and stright pop and got some louds pops, typical of no back pressure. Noticed high smell of exhuast and EGA showed high HC, so I thought I try simple tune up.

There was mention by Lambo vendors the NAPA stuff would not work. Yesterday I did a car show and "ran" the car for the first time. BTW I also went to K&N with SP air intake kit.

1. Car runs incredibley well.
2. Idles so smooth you can balance a nickle on the hood
3. The "pop" on de-acceleration are all but gone, barely hear them.
4. When leaving the show, from a 30mph roll, I punched it and spun the wheels and the car went almost sideways on me (good reason for vt). I had a freind with a Ferrari behind me who can witness.

Now as for the coils:
They work very well. A bit of work to change them because not easy to remove. The air ducts in front and behind them should be removed first.

I have read in several threads that early Diablo's had a ground (UK=earth) problem due to paint on frame. When you remove the coils, there is a bracket that mounts to the frame with 2 bolts. I removed the bracket and sanded the paint off of it and off the part of the frame where it bolts on. Before installing the new coils I used dielectric cream on the areas also to prevent arcing (sp). I had a slight problem on final re-assembly fitting the forward air tube back in because it was hitting on the coil. Don't know if it was me, or the coil may have just been slightly larger. The bottom of this air tube has a hole in it to blow fresh air over the coils. I made the hole slightly larger and the air tube went back on with no problem.

Here's a pix of the intakes:

#18 ·
All the early car in the u.k had the diode conversion if the coils failed by Del hopkins while he was at Lamborghini.. Unfortanatly my car has not.. Ive just replaced the coil with a intermotor coil that is the same and i have no spark from the yellow side..

#21 ·
Some Fiat Tipos (and other small Italian four bangers) use the exact same Marelli coils as a 1993 Diablo VT.

They may be easier to come by in Europe.

The Swedish Lamborghini distributor wants $750 for one coil, and they can be had new at the Fiat dealer for much less.

My cousin, who has a VT, never travels without a bag of (Fiat) coils. :cool:

What is this diode mod for the ignition? :confused:

#27 ·
Great news Bruce, thanks for the info. Now before I go down to the local dealership and spend the money, is there a vendor or sponsor on here that you support that I should contact? I have also determined that one of my coils is bad and needs replacing as well. In one of the other threads it says I can use a 12 cyl. Jag coil, does anyone have a specific model number that I can give the dealer. Also part # for cap and rotor would be much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.