Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I written this for the older generation of Gallardo owners who are thinking about upgrading to an AV.

I Bought my Gallardo about 13 years ago in Australia for $A155k and have been very happy with it. Lambos are so rare in Australia that even after 13 years of using it, I would probably get $A150,000 today i.e. it has cost me very little to own. Now being 69 and understanding that if I didn’t do it soon, I wouldn’t have the physical ability to do it (don’t laugh your time is coming and there’s not a thing you can do about it!) I better get an AV now or miss out.

I’ve read and watched EVERYTHING about the AV and I worried that it would be too wide, too long, too fast, the single clutch is still crap and I wouldn’t be able to park it.

You see I try to take a VERY realistic look at it: Most people who own one, never track it and those that do say 6 times a year. Owners generally just like to punt around in them (well, maybe not punt around, but nowhere near the car’s limits), and love it for the piece of art and machinery it is.

It kills me when some reviewer, who would never have the money to own one (I mean how much do journalists or car reviewers get paid?), say that this or that is bad about the car or they are so overweight they can hardly fit into the car and then race it around a track and say it’s not the great super car it is. What gives them the right to make these judgements rather than some “normal” guy/girl who owns one?

Anyhow, back to my review: is it harder to drive than the Gallardo NO!! Is the clutch still crappy NO!! Is it too wide/too long NO!! (I think it’s about an inch wider than my Jeep Cherokee), Is it too fast NO!! I just don’t put the throttle down as far. Does it get lots of attention: YES!!

What I’m trying to say is this: As an old guy who just loves beautiful cars (Is there ANYTHING more beautiful than an AV?) who is happy to just drive along (with the occasional bursts), who will NEVER use the car’s abilities (does it matter – it still looks and sounds sensational), then why wouldn’t you get one? Even with the capital outlay you will probably get most (if not all) of it back (and it will only go to your kids anyhow).

At this stage, after 400 kilometers, it beats my Gallardo in EVERY respect (and so it should – it’s 12 years younger!) BUT the main thing is – IT’s NOT too much of a handful for me or my missus to drive – I’m soooo glad I bought it – I don’t even need to drive it – though I will surely will – it’s just so beautiful to look at and I thank God I didn’t listen to those reviewers who say the car is such a beast and lacks this and that!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
First off, congrats on the AV.
I was fortunate enough to have extended use of an svj recently and agree with some of your comments.
I did find the car initially very intimidating and this added to the sense of excitement.
Once rolling - I agree the car shrank around me and I only really found it challenging when driving in tight confines.
Also having a Gallardo for some years I found the seat orientation and relationship to the A pillar very familiar to the G - quite amazing.
I almost hit the go button on a 17 roadster and had a buyer for my G but decided to keep the G and wait a little longer an AV...I just don’t know if the AV will be a long term affair or not!
Enjoy in good health..

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective! I suspect you will be enjoying your AV, and life, for a very long time to come. Stay healthy and never lose that passion!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I totally agree with and share your POV. I went from G to AVR to Performante and now back in a Manual Murci... The V12s have something that the V10s just ack. Even if the V10s are objectively a better car in so many ways. Lambos are all about sense of occasion and nothing beats V12 doors up super wide origami magic of a proper big bad bull. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,899 Posts
Congratulations on that big jump. Glad to hear it’s all positive.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I totally agree with and share your POV. I went from G to AVR to Performante and now back in a Manual Murci... The V12s have something that the V10s just ack. Even if the V10s are objectively a better car in so many ways. Lambos are all about sense of occasion and nothing beats V12 doors up super wide origami magic of a proper big bad bull. Just my .02
Those scissor doors!
I’ve only owned my Murci for under a year and on numerous occasions I’ve seen kids and adults drop their mouth’s open, when I open the door. I still get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What the OP has on his side is that he has learned to finesse a supercar. He is capable of enjoying it for the machine that is is, even just driving around town.

One needn’t run these at full tilt to enjoy the magic of ownership.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,899 Posts
What the OP has on his side is that he has learned to finesse a supercar. He is capable of enjoying it for the machine that is is, even just driving around town.

One needn’t run these at full tilt to enjoy the magic of ownership.
Yes for sure, just viewing a Lamborghini parked is a stimulating experience, especially if it’s yours.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE ON MY AV "EXPERIENCE" - Firstly am I disappointed buying the AV = NO?
It cost $A570,000 for a 2016 LP 700-4 Roadster (hold on guys, this is in Australia where car taxes are stupid i.e. a NEW SVJ is about $A1,400,000 including registration fees, etc.,) - what I do is simply DOUBLE whatever you guys quote for any Lambo car and it's pretty accurate in $A! So, it's worth about 4 times more than my Gallardo - is it 4 times better = NO! But it is a waaaay better car. Not to knock the 2004 Gallardo I have, it's a GREAT car - the AV is just on a different level.
BUT HERE'S MY DILEMMA: I was going to keep my Gallardo until I decided which is the better car FOR ME - well I've decided - the AV! BUT "If" I sell my 2004 Gallardo (which is a "perfect condition car") I would get say $A150,000 but once I put the money in the bank i.e. I have no debts (as YOU should not as well at 69!) I will get 0.00% interest on my money!!
So I will probably keep it - I mean it's a 2004 and probably won't go down anymore - I don't want to risk it in the stock market at these current levels and I have lots of rental houses.
A nice financial position to be in = YES! But, I worked hard all my life, took the usual risks and made it!
So would I buy the AV again = YES! you see, with this great asset bubble going on in the world it goes like this - It cost $A570,000 but if I had to sell it tomorrow (and I do mean tomorrow, not a "normal" sale), I would have to get $A500,000 for it, so my "risk" is $A70,000. Is it worth $A70,000 (in the worse scenario) to have such a beautiful piece of art = YES!
Some people can't afford $A70,000 - I understand that but in my position I can and I recon a LOT more "would be" buyers focus on the "purchase price" and NOT the potential total loss you could make if the World collapses.
I mean, let's face it, money is almost free these days, so why not? Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE ON MY AV "EXPERIENCE" - Firstly am I disappointed buying the AV = NO?
It cost $A570,000 for a 2016 LP 700-4 Roadster (hold on guys, this is in Australia where car taxes are stupid i.e. a NEW SVJ is about $A1,400,000 including registration fees, etc.,) - what I do is simply DOUBLE whatever you guys quote for any Lambo car and it's pretty accurate in $A! So, it's worth about 4 times more than my Gallardo - is it 4 times better = NO! But it is a waaaay better car. Not to knock the 2004 Gallardo I have, it's a GREAT car - the AV is just on a different level.
BUT HERE'S MY DILEMMA: I was going to keep my Gallardo until I decided which is the better car FOR ME - well I've decided - the AV! BUT "If" I sell my 2004 Gallardo (which is a "perfect condition car") I would get say $A150,000 but once I put the money in the bank i.e. I have no debts (as YOU should not as well at 69!) I will get 0.00% interest on my money!!
So I will probably keep it - I mean it's a 2004 and probably won't go down anymore - I don't want to risk it in the stock market at these current levels and I have lots of rental houses.
A nice financial position to be in = YES! But, I worked hard all my life, took the usual risks and made it!
So would I buy the AV again = YES! you see, with this great asset bubble going on in the world it goes like this - It cost $A570,000 but if I had to sell it tomorrow (and I do mean tomorrow, not a "normal" sale), I would have to get $A500,000 for it, so my "risk" is $A70,000. Is it worth $A70,000 (in the worse scenario) to have such a beautiful piece of art = YES!
Some people can't afford $A70,000 - I understand that but in my position I can and I recon a LOT more "would be" buyers focus on the "purchase price" and NOT the potential total loss you could make if the World collapses.
I mean, let's face it, money is almost free these days, so why not? Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers Ed
This is spot on Ed,

With the printing of Fiat currency atm the dollar is defiantly on the dive. Wont be long before Fiat currency is gone altogether (look at when Nixon took USD of the gold standard..) Same thing is happening now but with Crypto currency's and YES the ASX 200 is over bought.. You could short 160k on the ASX 200, that would be fun.

ANYWAY!

Gallardo prices are on the rise at the moment, carsales.com has the cheapest Gallardo at 150k I expect them up around the 200k + mark with in 24 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts