Lamborghini Talk banner

621 - 640 of 657 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Mikael, I am reading your post where you took the steering column covers off and had them 3-D printed. I do not see how to get in to unscrew mine from the steering column. How to get back behind the column and unscrew those threads? Here is a picture of mine with the camera up close to a crack I just don’t know how to get behind the nut. Note in the picture at least one of mine is already broken and I want to be extremely cautious as you have a warned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Nut is supost to be with column cover and hex bolt is unbolted from front, with hex key.
NOTE:
See that all lips and screw holes are intact, remember, you can fix them with anything before scanning, because scanner does not know what material it is seeing. For example you can fix them with clay, carboard or tape, as long as it is not visible, because it will be plastic when printing.
I made little mistake that I could have fix some parts before scaning.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #624 (Edited)
Next project; VT gauge pod

I have collected all nessesary parts to change early gauge pod to VT pod, mainly because I find original pod really annoying to drive with. It is because top of pod and part of the road are so close together that I constantly seem focus between. Also I find it hard to see obsticle and find pot holes in road.

My car is one last cars to get early pod, only few cars after and it's later one.

I am still planing, how to make swap warning lights around, early ones are incandescent bulbs and later are LED, then there are mix of some warning lights get common positive and ground comes from sensor and some get both. and you have note that LED they need to correcct way.

But here is good pair of picture how early and later pods aree different.
(you can swap pictures to see difference)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
I think only part in Diablo ACTUALLY desing by Mr. Gandini is that gauge pod and it was horrible.

At least lee Iacocca reply in interview that "Chrysler did desing and Gandini did some parts, mainly in interior"

And top it all; there is in early cars gas strut to raise pod even higher that seems really odd and unnessesary, but with later VT-style pod, it actually make sence, but gas strut was deleted from VT cars.
I am planing to add best of both models; VT-pod and gas strut.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Nice work, the later pods are much better.

And, the lift system is very funny. A lot of complexity for almost no benefit

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #627
And, the lift system is very funny. A lot of complexity for almost no benefit
You did change that gas strut? Mine is leaked out, as are all of them.
Those gas struts are expensive and hard to find.

I did try to look for alternative, but Stabilus want's almost as much as Lamborghini. THere are few options sale on Ebay, but spec on those are usually with double extension force or length is no way near.
(Cheapest option is to order them from China, that is minimum order would be 100 units, but price on those would be 3-8€/each)

Here you can see how Lamborghini removed that strut and replace it with simple steel brackets.
(number 18 in picture)

(parts 22 and 23 replaces strut)

Real issue here is to make those warning lights to work since early car like mine does not have GFA unit to control interior electrics.
Other thing is that I have never seen VT car dash working.
(btw. if anyone gets issues with GFA units, I suspect those are very much servicable)

Issues that I notice so far are that early cars have only one green turn signal light, but VT got them seperated for two lights, (left and right) I have to see if they are possible to make working without braking original wireloom

Good news is that in early cars left side regtangular warning light cluster got common positive feed and ground really comes from sensors and switches.
Also VT warning light cluster works with 12 volt.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mikael, I will be following this thread close, as I also have all the parts to make this pod change over this winter. Just haven't figured out the electronics either.

Next project; VT gauge pod

I have collected all nessesary parts to change early gauge pod to VT pod, mainly because I find original pod really annoying to drive with. It is because top of pod and part of the road are so close together that I constantly seem focus between. Also I find it hard to see obsticle and find pot holes in road.

My car is one last cars to get early pod, only few cars after and it's later one.

I am still planing, how to make swap warning lights around, early ones are incandescent bulbs and later are LED, then there are mix of some warning lights get common positive and ground comes from sensor and some get both. and you have note that LED they need to correcct way.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
Mikael, I will be following this thread close, as I also have all the parts to make this pod change over this winter. Just haven't figured out the electronics either.
Glad to hear.
I know these swaps have be done before and after I look in to these I am curious how they are done.
Got (cheap) laboratory power supply today to get forward.
I also got second set of wire sockets and terminals to make compleatly new wireloom, because cutting original is not option and 100% change back to original should be priority.

Wireloom sockets are:
9 Way TYCO Mate N Lok
12 Way TYCO Mate N Lok

I think there is three way to go with this:

1. Use original lightboard and connect car wires to it.
2. Solder new lightboard to adapt LED's and wires dirrectly
3. Make bulb holder like original to back of light bars.

Issue I have countered so far are:
-I have to make sense what wires connect positive and ground, remember LED's work only one way.
-Most LED's are way too bright, maybe I have go "old school" with LED's. btw. incandescent bulbs are out of option; they will melt light bars.
I have to learn how to solder... done that last time in secondary school

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, VT has GFA (body control) unit under the dash. And the upper lights plug into GFA. So you want to simulate GFA? Maybe a small circuit board will help?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Mikael, just a curious idea for you. What about cutting the main dashboard a little wider such that your existing pod can be dropped down lower behind the steering wheel instead of having to renovate your entire pod and electronics?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
All have to be able reversed back to original. I have seen someone cut original pod, but I will like it to bee as if car was really "VT"

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #637
I think I have change around 40 of them for Ferrari and Lamborghini.
I paid 0.5€/each for universal ones that are made in Italy.
I run out of them and had to pay 2.5€/each next time...

Cicognani is great company with good products.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #638

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It looks like you have cornered the market on these!

for anyone with a diablo you will eventually need one of these (if you use your car, not many of you do...), and you can either rebuild the unit or buy one of these. had i not just solved this problem i would buy one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happy and thankful to have found this article, just installed my new Campagnola ar76 master cylinder that I got from a shop in Italy in my 95 vt, it really was identical to the original master cylinder and just bolted on to the servo assist device. Many thanks to everybody.

621 - 640 of 657 Posts