Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -formally.
I was hesitant on my introduction here as it's been apparent that my car gets as many jeers as it does cheers. Many of you have seen it before, albeit 6 years ago. I thought I'd share it today and update folks on what I've done and what's going to happen to it.
It is indeed the LS swapped Diablo mentioned here:
and here:

It's been lovingly cared for since the post above and I was the one who purchased it (May 2020) from the builder, who has since become a friend. I found it by chance while looking for a Gallardo or a Porsche GT3 to replace my Cayman. At that time it wasn't for sale but after speaking several times we thought it was a good fit for me. I registered it in NV as a Classic Vehicle and no emissions testing is required. It holds a clean NV title but CarFax shows the major event (fire) in Canada early in its life, however, the US does not designate it as Salvage or Rebuilt.

The PO really did a comprehensive build quality on this car. With it came some extras, a monster file of all receipts and diagrams, and he's made himself available for questions on numerous occasions. I have also found a great resource here with you all for some odd gremlins, too. Some of my issues have been with the "Lambo part" of the car i.e., windows, locks, weatherstripping, wiring. There have also been some problems such a cracked radiator, fuel leak, transmission oil leak, fuel relay, and more. Overall it's been more than worth it as these are wear items or flukes and likely less-expensive as many of them were not subject to Lambo Tax.

Since I have owned the car I have replaced or serviced the following (perhaps more, too, I forget):
New radiators from PWR Racing -I bought both but only replaced the one thus far
Cut the gear shift lever down
Measured and 3D printed a gate for shifter -a work in progress
Trans seals
Estimates on having exhaust reworked leaving in current spot but having a new grill with round exits ala-Aventador
Fuel electrical and delivery repairs
Cooling overflow rework (to my tastes)

Things that are high priority this season:
Add OEM weatherstripping along windshield to B-pillar -not sure how to handle yet as they're anchored with rivets (considering plastic rivet with adhesive, too)
Exhaust reworked
New brakes / tires
Door locks not functioning

The car runs and drives brilliantly. It stays cool while climbing mountains in 100F heat with the A/C on. Any questions, feel free to ask here as to not dredge the old thread.

The engine cover, wing, and rear grill are also not OEM parts, they were MIA when PO bought the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ahhh.....sweet, so you bought the LS Diablo. Nice.

I'll be honest, I'm far from a purist but when I read about this car (or rather your car) back in 2015, I had really mixed feelings about it, but as I reading the back story on the fire and how clean the install was, I was quite impressed. I've built lots of cars from the ground up (one was a fire damaged Mercedes) and my design basis has one main principle "It has to be clean"...and the execution on your car shouts this. Plus hard to argue the power potential of a LS and reliability.

Its amazing how large the Diablo engine bay is, as your LS swap has the trans aft of the rear wheels...speaking of which what trans is in your car? And I wonder what the weight distribution is (compared to stock), with the LS sitting so far forward. Also do you have room to change the alternator or the water pump? Can you share some more high res pictures?

At the end of the day, who cares what people think? Its your car chief, if it makes you smile, that's all that counts. We all share in that passion and that is what Ferruccio founded the company on.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Would love to see lots more pics. What a cool story. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
175 Posts
the chief aim of man is to be happy... paraphrasing Aristotle
you seem happy indeed!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
if it works for you, that is all that matters, really cool car and the most important thing is the two people in the car have a smiles on their faces, that is what its all about.

when the drive train in my Fisker craps out, i am going to do an LS swap. that is engineering./

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome, thanks for deciding not to be hesitant as I for one look forward to you stories.

FWIW I know there are Corvettes running with a LS3 on Ethanol (Corn-vette) (LOL) which begs the question, what does one call your hybrid Diablo? :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
the engine bay looks too clean.
no wires everywhere, you can actually reach into it and get your hand out.
Well done.
Its strange to err, but once my eyes adjust, it looks pretty nice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the smiles and support. We are really happy with the car and it just happens to fit us well.
BTW, the fire happened at about 12k mi and since the rebuild it's seen 13k more. Total of 25k on car.

I'll attempt to answer questions here but I cannot figure out the multi-quote procedure.

Slownrusty, "Its amazing how large the Diablo engine bay is, as your LS swap has the trans aft of the rear wheels...speaking of which what trans is in your car? And I wonder what the weight distribution is (compared to stock), with the LS sitting so far forward. Also do you have room to change the alternator or the water pump? Can you share some more high res pictures?"

-Yeah, it's got plenty of room and makes service a lot easier. The trans is an early Porsche G50 rebuilt with new everything. The PO ordered it with taller 4th & 5th gears. I use 4th in the mountains but 3rd is a bit more fun. No issues with the trans and the hp and I never hammer on it from a stop. These transmissions are not as tight as something like the Getrag in my M3. However, the rear end will still step out on me at request. It has a kevlar clutch with an extra new one in a box when I need it.-I plan to corner weigh it this summer to see the actual balance numbers. I'll report back when I do. -The ancillaries are all original to the build and have about 13k on them. No issues yet and they all support the car without issue. No close-ups on the front of the engine but those items may need to be handled from underneath. I did R&R the thermostat and had to do it that way for most of the job. The rest off the work was me holding the "plank position" on top of the engine/fender with one hand supporting and the other putting the thermostat housing on. That sucked.

Murciful: more pics coming.

Bonehead: Congrats on your new SV, it's absolutely stunning. I don't have video of it yet but the way I describe it is: While it may not scream, it certainly roars.

Craig and Sledge: Thank you, we are indeed happy. I look forward to your Fisker build, respectfully, as I do not wish for it to be necessary. :)

Kenny: Thank you and we usually just call it the Lambo at this point. Haven't come up with anything clever yet. "Corn-vette," LOL, I should know that as an Iowa native.

Topcarbon & GDF: yes, the builder was a stickler for a clean appearance. That very mindset is present in the entire car -anything he touched. Things are welded, supported, tapped or dyed, reinforced, tied up, etc. The PO covered the Corvette script but the covers are still on the car.

Replacing the radiator wasn't too bad. PWR got a few little details off on their 3D scan but a visit to a local machinist and it all went together well. Got two new electric fans at that same time. It was Round 2 from PWR as they built the originals in 2008-ish and according to them there was a design flaw that didn't allow for enough expansion and contraction. That's why the one cracked and the other is likely to follow, however, I removed to bolts from it (the problem area) and may have mitigated the issue. At least I got a discount on the 2 new ones.

PO put a monster stereo in the car and redesigned the door's speaker pods making them heavier. The Murci door shocks are helpful here. I only had to replace one since he installed them during the build.

I'll be honest and say that I am not a fan of the exhaust outlet. I also plan to move the license plate back to the original spot once I score a reasonable plate mount. One more item I forgot to mention that needs addressed are the axle seals. They've begun to seep a little bit. I love having a near-spotless engine bay.
20200727_113946.jpg
20200612_100603.jpg
20200612_100618.jpg
20200724_154748.jpg

Reactions: bonehead

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last pic above I was mocking up what the grill would need for round exhaust exits. I haven't made a move yet as the only quote that I got was out of my league.

More pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the car holds the original VIN and the plate is still on the door and column. If there are other VIN plates, I don't know where they are.
It's titled and insured as the 1995 Diablo VT. It's just missing what makes these cars so cool, the V12. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for clarifying its running the G50 Porsche trans - very nice! I own an '89 930, with the G50 and really like it, it has the Wevo short shifter that makes it feel very crisp and precise.

I figures working on the front of the engine would be tricky.

I love your interior...sexy!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like this car. Classy interior restoration, and the engine swap looks great. Clean and nice and unique. My only critisim is that the LS3's factory intake looks a bit too GM. I'm pretty sure there's many aftermarket choices that would fit better and would remove the factory plastic engine cover look. But at least Corvette is now covered up LOL.

It looks amazing. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the intake, there is certainly more I could do for it. I have the horns from the SV engine cover and I'd like to incorporate some kind of air feed. I guess I'm just not there yet but it's encouraging to hear the feedback.

The engine covers are more tongue-in-cheek than anything else right now. There is a better solution to the covers but I haven't found a cost-effective one yet. I have had guys mention getting a replica V12 cover but I can't bring myself to use one.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just Some, sorry if i missed it but are those exact dimension radiators, are were modifications made to accept them? I believe i have a rad project in my near future, and wondering to go the new build route, or recore and tank my existing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts