Lamborghini Talk banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The self pop out / in door handles on a regular Huracan are not on any Performante. Internet folklore suggests that choice was made by Lamborghini because because the mechanism was too heavy. Yet the STO appears to have them at 0:54 in the clip above.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not directed at you at all. There were others and they know who they are.
It’s puzzling that anyone who hasn’t driven the car themselves would reject your observations regarding the exhaust valves and impact on sound. Fortunately for me ignorance is bliss since I’ve never driven or ridden in a V10
Lambo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I was driving my Performante today thinking about this. Two questions:
  • there isn't a ton of sound in the Perf until you hit 3.5k-4k revs (but you can still tell the valves are open and hear a rumble). Does that mean the STO is like dead quiet (like Strada mode in the Performante)?
  • when you downshift in the STO you don’t get that loud thunder type noise?

CC: @RoyalPink
Bump

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
So I was driving my Performante today thinking about this. Two questions:
  • there isn't a ton of sound in the Perf until you hit 3.5k-4k revs (but you can still tell the valves are open and hear a rumble). Does that mean the STO is like dead quiet (like Strada mode in the Performante)?
    Point is the valves are open in the EVO/Perf and NOT in the STO until 3600 rpm or so. In addition you get the noise down low on downshifts in EVO/Perf because of the open valves.
  • when you downshift in the STO you don’t get that loud thunder type noise?
    Nope. Not under 3600 rpm.

I'm going to do my best to articulate my opinion since you asked. I am comparing discussed exhaust sounds to my 2019 580-2 that had the factory Lamborghini race exhaust. It had the most ferocious barking downshifts I've ever heard and an ear piercing shrill as you approached redline. EVO and Perf fall short of that but one could debate they are 90-95% of that. I waffle back and forth between those percentages.

What enhanced my driving experience more was the downshifts rather than the noise approaching redline. So upon approaching a red light you could do a 3-2-1 downshift dropping each gear at around 3200 rpm for those awesome addictive barking downshifts. Remember I put 17k miles on my 580-2 in 28 months so I have experience.

What makes the Lamborghini factory race exhaust sound better than the EVO/Perf stock exhaust? My hunch is the size. The internal chamber (think lung) and overall size is much larger and thus produces the deep resonating/barking sound. Much like a larger person having more lung capacity then a smaller person.

And to answer your question the STO in Trofeo below 3600 rpm is a bit louder then Strada in an EVO/Perf. So based on what I like which is the sound of downshifts in the 3200 rpm range the STO was a total let down. Another member here (TjP) who has an STO said this: "You guys just need to relax... if you can travel home to supermarket and back over 4500RPM sound will be fine."

I have no issue above 4K. Anything below because of the lack of downshift noise/emotion sucks to me - just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,256 Posts
We will know s
Sorry if this was addressed...but curious where in the exhaust the valves sit? Seems like an aftermarket exhaust would be a relatively easy solve.
But that could quite possibly void the warranty.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We will know s

But that could quite possibly void the warranty.
I know the subject has been beaten to death but it's not something I'm worried about. I've done aftermarket exhausts on every car I've owned, and know plenty of folks with aftermarket exhausts on their Lamborghini with zero problems or eyebrows raised at the dealer. My own dealer does installs no problem. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan Rosso Mars Metallic STO
16,435 Posts
My own dealer does installs no problem. YMMV.
There are other Lamborghini dealerships that will do an exhaust upgrade that I have communicated with as well.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Sorry if this was addressed...but curious where in the exhaust the valves sit? Seems like an aftermarket exhaust would be a relatively easy solve.
You're not fully understanding the issue. You can simply look down the pipes on an EVO/Perf and see the valves. When the valves are opened you are basically straight piped from the cat back. So if you replace with say an aftermarket "X" pipe or similar exhaust. Is it valved? If it is you will have the exact same issue as the computer controls when those valves open. If you have no valves. Then you will lose STO mode which is essentially Strada. Meaning the car will always be loud and will drone on the highway.

I see two solutions. The first is a key fob type controller to keep them open 100% of the time in Trofeo like they are in Corsa. Second, which is the best option if it's possible. Is to have Lambo program the ECU to have them open all of the time in Trofeo like they are in Corsa in an EVO/Perf. In my opinion I don't think anyone is very likely to get Lamborghini to do that.

·
Registered
Huracan Performante 2018
19 Posts
It might be a bit too early as the STO is just being broken in, but I would love to hear some feedback on how the Bridgestone are behaving on this car, I am getting to the end of the life of the PZero Corsa's on my HP and was considering to fit MPS4S, but maybe the Bridgestone's are an option as well ??

·
Registered
129 Posts
just watched another review where the issue the OP mentioned is true. Below 4k RPM there isn't much sound.

Link below to review of a UK car:
Just to be fair, the reviewer in the first video I pasted (above) who mentioned the sound issue < 4k rpm's also reviewed a Perfomante and explicitly said it doesn't have that issue when downshifting in lower rpm's (see video below). @RoyalPink

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
The ASR appears to be a better device. Anyone else have one yet?
Not sure how that could be, that is, open valves are, well, open valves whatever the new fangled device. If it has more bells and whistles fine but I am looking for open valves end of story.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts