Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After negotiating with a dealership in Salt Lake City, I closed on a 2017 Aventador S with most of the features I had hoped for. When I tried to find a reputable autoshipper, I discovered that most have a cargo insurance limit of $250,000, which wasn’t going to cut it here. I could have waited another 2 – 3 weeks for one of the companies with proper insurance coverage, but decided instead to fly over from Houston and drive it home.

The Uber driver asked what brought me to town – I said I was there to pick up a Lamborghini. Not sure if he thought I was BSing him, but I was glad to see the car parked in front of the dealership ready to roll. The driver pulls out his cell phone and starts snapping pics. It would be a recurring theme of the trip.

I’d never driven an Aventador before, though I’d read and watched just about every review out there. I quickly learned that Strada is horrendous to be in if you expect the car to give you any power. Switching to Sport or Ego as soon as I got in the car was added to my list of must-dos upon entry.

I was starving, so I stopped at some Hawaiian themed place on my way to the VRBO I had secured in south SLC for that evening. The restaurant staff and patrons all took turns going outside to ogle the car. I was beginning to understand what I’d gotten myself into.

The VRBO was with a nice older couple in an affluent suburb of SLC. I had asked if I could pay extra to park in their garage, and they agreed. One less thing to worry about. What I didn’t count on, was the 30 or so neighborhood kids who saw me drive in and pull into their driveway. Questions abounded, and I was happy to open up the doors and engine bay for them to take in. They were thrilled. It reminded me of the first Countach I saw growing up at a neighbor’s home, what started this passion for cars in me.
I was driving about 700 miles to Albuquerque the next day, so I got up early (6am) and hit the road. It was a bit tricky figuring out how to turn on the headlights, defroster, etc., but everything was pretty intuitive once I started poking around. What I didn’t plan on, was driving an unfamiliar canyon road in pitch black in a new-to-me Lamborghini. It was pretty nerve-wracking. Only came upon one speed trap, which my radar detector had alerted me to in advance. Whew!

After the sun came up my speed increased a bit. Most of the roads were empty, though as I got closer to Moab the traffic increased. Everyone seemed thrilled to see the car blow by them on the legal passing sections. I saw lots of kids pointing out back windows, and cell phones galore. After getting through the heavy traffic in Moab, my speed picked back up again.

I had planned my gas station stops as a precaution, and had some interesting experiences at a few places. I stopped at one in Shiprock, NM, which I think is on a reservation. As soon as I pull in, a late model black Mercedes pulls in next to me. Two gentleman with extensive tattoos on their arms and faces start checking out the car. I don’t have my carry weapon with me, didn’t want to mess with checking it at the airport or getting pulled over in a state where that’s not allowed. So I start chatting with the guys. They’re pretty cool, actually, I tell them about the car, compliment their Mercedes and the aftermarket wheels, and try not to crap my pants. One of them asks for a ride, which I politely decline. You know, COVID, can’t be too careful. They get back in their car and drive off. My heart rate starts to relax again.

On one of the absolutely empty, flat roads out to Albuquerque I decided to go for a top speed run, though I ran out of courage around 170. The car clearly had more in it, and felt quite stable.

I arrive in Albuquerque with no issues, though the construction and traffic around that area was annoying. I check in at the hotel and mention my concerns about parking the car overnight. They assure me they will park it by security and will monitor it closely. Later, on my walk to the pool, I see it parked in their valet lot. It’s such a beautiful car, I have to stop and stare at it for awhile. I’m not alone. At dinner at their rooftop restaurant, I notice a few hot air balloons being inflated nearby. Apparently Albuquerque’s hot air balloon festival is the next day. I briefly consider delaying departure to check it out, but ultimately decide to just hit the road to get back to Texas as early as I can. I’ve arranged to stay with a friend in Dallas the next night rather than go all the way to Houston.

I’m out the door of my room by 6am, heading down to the valet lot with the second car key intending to pull it around front myself. The car is not in the lot. I start to panic a bit. I remember that some establishments pull fancy cars up front to raise their cache, so I check out front. My car is there. Yet another, “Whew!” moment. I load my bags and water bottles, then go back inside to check out and get the key they have.

It wasn’t as dark leaving ABQ, they have better lighting going out of town. It’s still dark, but I feel like I know the car pretty well now. I make great time getting to Texas. The first gas station I stop at, a youngish looking kid (20’s) pulls in and gets gas for his older BMW Z3. He is in awe of the car, asking if he can take some pics. I offer to take his picture in front of the car. I make his day.

I notice his car has signatures in sharpie all over it’s faded white paint. He asks if I’ll sign his car. I tell him that I’m no one special. He says I have a Lamborghini, that’s pretty damn special. I have to agree. I sign his hood and wish him well. He records my departure on his phone, I make sure not to disappoint.

I didn’t get pulled over once the whole trip, despite having temporary Utah plates and going quite fast for most of it. I only saw the one speed trap. Very few cops. Not complaining - it was just a bit strange seeing so few.

Didn’t have too many issues with other drivers, with the exception of my drive to Houston from Dallas. I came upon a Lexus GS300. I’m speeding but not excessively so. He guns it as I get close, and the road is clear so I drop gears and go. I won’t say what speed I passed him at, but I don’t think his car had much left in it, lol. I slow down as cars appear up ahead. He starts tailgating me. I get over to the right to let him pass when it’s safe to do so, and he blows by me. I could care less.

The car was NOT comfortable for these long stretches. I tried adjusting just about everything. Thank God I had heated seats, this helped save my back. And I figured out how to position my legs so that my left leg wouldn’t be dead everytime I get out of the car. I’m not overweight, but am wide-bodied and my ass does not seem to fit the best between the bolsters.

Overall though, it was an amazing trip and experience. And while the depreciation/maintenance/gas/etc. were all affected, I don’t care, I bought the car to drive and that’s what I’m going to keep doing. I hope you enjoyed my tale.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,815 Posts
Great read! Congrats on the new AvS! I drove my Gallardo spider 520 miles one day this summer top down and to be honest that was about 50 miles longer than I would have liked that particular day. I can’t imagine 700 miles in your Aventador in a single day without cutting up that journey a little bit. Post a photo of your car.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
That was a once in a lifetime experience, thanks for sharing with us!

Reactions: BRU

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! It was an incredible trip. Here's a few pics of the car, I'll try to upload some of the cell phone pics later.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks everyone! It was an incredible trip. Here's a few pics of the car, I'll try to upload some of the cell phone pics later. View attachment 289252 View attachment 289253
First, congrats on such a beautiful car! As a Fcar owner who went through a similar experience, I enjoyed reading about your journey. You will receive tons of attention (not all of it wanted) and get to enjoy your car in ways you didn’t think possible.

Hope to see a few interior pics when you get the chance, and best of luck with your new Aventador!

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Love a very well-written story! You were brave driving alone in dark places. That Lexus had inferiority complex that is all. Looking forward to your next story (y)

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
Beautiful Aventador S; Congratulations! Hell of an adventure and great memories to boot!

Reactions: BRU

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Thanks everyone! It was an incredible trip. Here's a few pics of the car, I'll try to upload some of the cell phone pics later. View attachment 289252 View attachment 289253
My friend has an AVS, it's a pretty big car. Wide with compromised rear visibility. Impressive how you negotiated the urban city centers, traffic, winding roads and parking areas without a scratch.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My friend has an AVS, it's a pretty big car. Wide with compromised rear visibility. Impressive how you negotiated the urban city centers, traffic, winding roads and parking areas without a scratch.
It's definitely WIIIIIDE and low, I had to keep reminding myself to use the front lifter for any sort of grade. I missed a few bumps on the road and heard the car smack a bit, but didn't see any damage. Thinking about getting a skid plate installed, or those rubber strips I see advertised on FB.

With the 4 wheel steering, it was surprising easy to navigate most city roads. The hotel I stayed in in ABQ was very close to the main freeway so there wasn't a lot needed there. I'm not going to daily drive the car, but it does okay, and our roads are plenty wide in Houston.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are some of the dealer pics of the interior, better than what I've taken anyway. Full carbon interior including the seat backs, full leather yadda yadda. Full carbon engine bay as well.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It's definitely WIIIIIDE and low, I had to keep reminding myself to use the front lifter for any sort of grade. I missed a few bumps on the road and heard the car smack a bit, but didn't see any damage. Thinking about getting a skid plate installed, or those rubber strips I see advertised on FB.

With the 4 wheel steering, it was surprising easy to navigate most city roads. The hotel I stayed in in ABQ was very close to the main freeway so there wasn't a lot needed there. I'm not going to daily drive the car, but it does okay, and our roads are plenty wide in Houston.
Yes one of the first mods I did was install skid plates from Shardul for $299 took 2 hours in my garage with a rivet gun from Amazon. I daily my H so this was a useful mod.

Interior and the CF engine bay look good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you do this drive in early/mid September? I also drove from SLC to San Antonio (un related and in an Audi Q5) but I passed a white AVS not too far from Moab and remember thinking how random that was.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you do this drive in early/mid September? I also drove from SLC to San Antonio (un related and in an Audi Q5) but I passed a white AVS not too far from Moab and remember thinking how random that was.
No, this was the weekend of October 12th. Driving the final stretch on Columbus Day helped with traffic, I think.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.