Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging up a very old thread from the Diablo section as I need to rebuild the front suspension on my LP640 Murcielago. The lift system has been leaking for a while and the lower control arm bushes are swollen so need replacing.

In AUD, so far I've been quoted $5,200 per piece for front lower control arms - seems that the bushes can't be individually replaced. This seems a little unreasonable as the arms are in perfect condition.

Can anyone confirm if the list of parts below that have been used in a Diablo fit an LP640? Any other direction/help would be greatly appreciated.

Front arm bushes 0089212206 X8
Front shock absorber bushes 410512383 X4
Front anti – roll bar bushes 005238302 X2
Rear arm bushes 0089212206 X8
Rear arm outer bushes 0089212207 X8
Rear shock absorber bushes 410512383 X4
Rear anti – roll bar bushes 005238302 X2
Front anti – roll bar bushes 005238302 X2

2 of 410407361B LOCATING LINKAGE (ball joint)
2 0f 417801931A STRAP JOINT (drop Links)
2 of 005227295 Ball Joint (Drop links ends)
1 of 005225205 Upper Arm Pin
4 of 008251702 M17x1x28 Self-Locking Ring Nut
16 of IWHT003355 securing for pivot
12 of I14047127A offset screw (acentric bolts)

Also, it seems that some 308 bushes will fit into a Diablo, so another possible source if the Diablo parts cross over to the Murcielago.

Cross reference to the Diablo thread for others to resource here - Suspension refurbishment

To rebuild the front shocks, there seems to be some recommended soultions in the US - Leaking front Koni - but I haven't found anyone in Australia. Finding someone in Perth would be ideal and I'll share when I do. Again, any direction/help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I am replicating a thread that has been covered before, can you please shoot me a link as I couldn't find anything in the search.

Cheers,
Cam

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys - has no one on this forum rebuilt the suspension in an LP640 yet? I'm still hitting brick walls when it comes to finding a solution on this.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so the silence tells me I may be a pioneer in this field.. 😂

So I contacted the local OEM dealer for pricing on new front shocks and bushing rebuild kits for front and rear. Below is what I've been quoted in AUD.

LB-410412031C - FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER - 2 x $8,153.50 - $16,307.00
LB-410407151B - TRACK CONTROL ARM LH - 1 x $5,094.50
LB-410407152B - TRACK CONTROL ARM RH - 1 x $5,094.50
LB-4D0411327G - RUBBER MOUNTING FRONT SWAYBAR BUSHES - 2 x $18.98 - $37.96
LB-410407505B - ARM ASSEMBLY STD CERAMIC BRAKE UPPER ARM CMPL - 1 x $5,698.25
LB-410407506B - ARM ASSEMBLY RH RHF STD CERAMIC BRAKE UPPER ARM - 1 x $5,698.25
LB-410505311 - LHR ARM ASSEMBLY LHR LOWER ARM COMPLETE - 1 x $5,094.50
LB-410505312 - ARM ASSEMBLY RHR RHR LOWER ARM ASSY - 1 x $5,094.50
LB-410505323B - TRACK CONTROL ARM LH LHR UPPER ARM COMPLETE - 1 x $4,818.50
LB-410505324B - TRACK CONTROL ARM RH RHR UPPER ARM COMPLETE - 1 x $4,818.50
LB-4D0411327J - RUBBER MOUNT REAR SWAYBAR BUSHES - 2 x $14.66 - $29.32

So a total of $63,564.36 for parts, not including the rear shocks - for the US guys, that's around 45k! A massive amount of $ for a job that really requires bushes and some new shocks. The price of the swaybar bushes shows that reasonable pricing could be achieved by Lamborghini here and I'd happily pay a bit more that aftermarket to purchase a kit of bushes.

I'm all for supporting local dealers to make sure the product you're using is well supported in return. What is most disappointing is that as a service provider myself, we always try to work something out for the customer if the OEM pricing is out of the ball park by investigating all available options. Unfortunately, here there isn't any attempt from the local dealer to help or suggest an alternative, it's all up to me.

So - we're going to tear it down in the next few weeks and work it out as we go along. I'll share info here as we find out.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
caminperth, why can't you go down the bushing replacement route - even buying them from Lambo is a lot cheaper than getting the suspension arms complete?
I'd be very happy to, but so far I haven't been able to find individual bushings for sale from Lamborghini. The dealer tells me that they only sell them as a package with the entire control arm assemblies, which come at the above mentioned prices.

If you know of where I can get OEM bushes from I'd be very grateful!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I see what you mean.... I suggested that because they are for sale for the Pre-LP. Comparing the LP640 lower arms, the Murcielago Pre_LP part numbers are 410407151 and 410407152, whereas the LP640 arms are 410407151B and 410407152B. The question is whether the B denotes a significant change in that area.... My understanding is that a letter suffix is an insignificant change.
Hand tool Bicycle fork Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part
Light Automotive tire Black Wood Automotive wheel system

I dont know if it helps but I attached a couple pics of when I did my refurb. If you do commit to the idea of $65k, you could take a punt at buying 1 Murcielago bushing and see if it fits.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@dang2407 - Thanks for the photos. We're planning to pull it apart early next week so the photos will be helpful.

Good point on taking a punt on the pre-LP bushing to see if they fit. If my linkages look close to yours from the photos I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You should be able to measure the bushings and find them (rubber, polyurethane or spherical bearing) available. It's likely a standard size given the design and Lambo's history of using third party sources for this type of part.

As for the shocks, if nobody in Aus rebuilds, there are a few guys in the US that rebuild. Since it's already a lengthy process to have them rebuilt, a few extra days in transit getting to/from doesn't seem like an issue.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should be able to measure the bushings and find them (rubber, polyurethane or spherical bearing) available. It's likely a standard size given the design and Lambo's history of using third party sources for this type of part.

As for the shocks, if nobody in Aus rebuilds, there are a few guys in the US that rebuild. Since it's already a lengthy process to have them rebuilt, a few extra days in transit getting to/from doesn't seem like an issue.
Measuring and matching is the plan. 👍

I can't believe they are that hard to rebuild as it should only be seals - I'm sure we'll be able to find someone local. Sending overseas seems crazy to rebuild a third party shock absorber...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I think Bespoke Motors rebuilt a Murci GT1 car (they may have just owned it), but they seem to have quite a few race cars from that vintage and likely have a contact for you to service the dampers in Australia.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Gotta get them out first - that's the plan for tomorrow. 👍
Disclaimer :

I can't say if it's suitable for sports cars but on trail trucks we'd buy rubber bushings and to sleeve the bushing and match a 1/2" bolt we'd use a piece of pipe and drill it to have the exact 1/2" inner diameter. if you need to maybe bring a bushing to a machine shop to sleeve to proper bolt size?

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shocks have been sent to the rebuilder. With freight transport the way it is in Australia at the moment, hopefully we will see them back one day! 😂

New possible bushes in the photos below. These are standard off the shelf items - I can confirm the original bushes are glued in and will need drilling out. Once this is done and the bores cleaned we can press in the new units. These will be better than the original units being Nolathane instead of rubber.

An interesting note, we're not sure why the original bushes are glued in as they are held in by plates either side and then shims when in place so can't move when installed.

Cutting mat Automotive tire Wood Tire Gas

Cutting mat Gas Pattern Electric blue Auto part

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good progress...
The original bushing parts don't rotate relative to each other - it's the rubber that distorts to provide the angular movement. Therefore they have to be sure the part on the suspension arm doesn't move..... hence the glue...
Mine were a bugger to remove.... I drilled, filed, cut and got about half of them out... then I gave up and took them to an engineering shop...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do you know those new were bushings were for? Which car model and year?

The metal sleeve get rusty and the rubber expands making them impossible to get out. You might get lucky and they can drill them out but I had to resort to burning them out. Hell!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts