Lamborghini Talk banner

Murcielago Glass Replacement Headlight Lenses - Group Buy?

8185 Views 80 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  ikarian
I've tried to find someone who sells just the lenses in actual glass, not the plastic ones, to no avail besides basically finding them off wrecked cars.

I've inquired about having them remanufactured to factory spec. Would people here be interested in them at say $1,500 USD for the pair plus shipping from Canada?

This price would only be good for a batch order, costs go up significantly for low volume as you'd imagine.

If you would be interested in buying a set for your car, even as spares to keep on hand for the inevitable need, please PM me your intent or reply here. Replacement headlights are $10k+ and I don't see them getting any cheaper going forward, and 9 times out of 10 the issue is just the lens.

Cheers!
Reactions: AngelOfMurci
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Truly incredible, @tres55! I know I've said it before, but thank you so much for your contribution to the community. I'm so excited to pick up a set for spares!

· Registered
1 Posts
I would be interested to hear if the new lenses work fine. I managed to purchase the last set of new unused lenses from a guy i Germany who bought them form the original supplier to Lamborghini. Sadly during my restoration which is still ongoing, the mechanic dropped a wrench onto one lens and cracked it.

great work we need more of this to keep these carts on the road.

John

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I would be interested to hear if the new lenses work fine. I managed to purchase the last set of new unused lenses from a guy i Germany who bought them form the original supplier to Lamborghini. Sadly during my restoration which is still ongoing, the mechanic dropped a wrench onto one lens and cracked it.

great work we need more of this to keep these carts on the road.

John
Hi John,

My lens shattered while the silicon was curing after reconditioning them. I feel your pain...$10k USD for a headlight (at minimum) is crazy, but it is what it is.

Here is the breakage test we just performed using a 50 gram steel marble dropped from 70cm. (Sorry if the link doesn't work...this site won't let me upload a video)

That would be a pretty large rock to be flying at the car (and those wouldn't be direct inertia straight at the lens) so these lenses should hold up just as well as the originals against normal pebble debris you might encounter on the road.

In the coming week or so I will have them test fitted to my Murcielago and I will post pictures of them installed. At that point I will take orders for the first batch. I likely won't do a second batch until there is enough orders to justify it so for anyone who wants a set will have about a month before I give the go ahead to the factory. I'll reach out to everyone who has posted in this thread with instructions at that time so hopefully no one gets left behind.

Cheers all! Happy Fathers Day. :)

· Registered
2003 Murciélago, 2004 Gallardo, 2015 458 Spider
14 Posts
Hi John,

My lens shattered while the silicon was curing after reconditioning them. I feel your pain...$10k USD for a headlight (at minimum) is crazy, but it is what it is.

Here is the breakage test we just performed using a 50 gram steel marble dropped from 70cm. (Sorry if the link doesn't work...this site won't let me upload a video)

That would be a pretty large rock to be flying at the car (and those wouldn't be direct inertia straight at the lens) so these lenses should hold up just as well as the originals against normal pebble debris you might encounter on the road.

In the coming week or so I will have them test fitted to my Murcielago and I will post pictures of them installed. At that point I will take orders for the first batch. I likely won't do a second batch until there is enough orders to justify it so for anyone who wants a set will have about a month before I give the go ahead to the factory. I'll reach out to everyone who has posted in this thread with instructions at that time so hopefully no one gets left behind.

Cheers all! Happy Fathers Day. :)
What's the update?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What's the update?
We have our initial samples. And although the physical proportions and quality are great, there's minor imperfections from when the mold releases the glass in the lens. I think we will be able to polish them out however, hoping to get around to that soon. They're not really visible to the naked eye unless you're trying hard, but we don't want any issues when there's a light bulb behind it.

End result however is looking very promising so far. The manufacturer is going to correct this issue going forward.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hey guys, what ever happened with this?
We've learned the manufacturing imperfections polish out just fine. The issue is when the glass is removed from the mold it leaves these super fine waves that you can see at the right angle but can't feel with your nail. Glass polish rectifies it easy enough though.

Just need to set up a way to take orders now so we know how many to produce...

Sorry for the delays...this is a side project and has fell to the wayside, but it is very much moving forward.

Thank you all!

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks! What is the estimated price for a set?
With current exchange rates about 2000 USD shipped for a pair in North America... or around 1000 + shipping for a single.

Will probably be about 30-40 pairs. As the molds get older and more used not sure what will happen to the quality and may need to remake them.

· Registered
8 Posts
I've tried to find someone who sells just the lenses in actual glass, not the plastic ones, to no avail besides basically finding them off wrecked cars.

I've inquired about having them remanufactured to factory spec. Would people here be interested in them at say $1,500 USD for the pair plus shipping from Canada?

This price would only be good for a batch order, costs go up significantly for low volume as you'd imagine.

If you would be interested in buying a set for your car, even as spares to keep on hand for the inevitable need, please PM me your intent or reply here. Replacement headlights are $10k+ and I don't see them getting any cheaper going forward, and 9 times out of 10 the issue is just the lens.

Cheers!
Hi from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 just seen this post are you now selling the lenses ? Thanks John

41 - 60 of 81 Posts