Lamborghini Talk banner

Murcielago Glass Replacement Headlight Lenses - Group Buy?

8188 Views 80 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  ikarian
I've tried to find someone who sells just the lenses in actual glass, not the plastic ones, to no avail besides basically finding them off wrecked cars.

I've inquired about having them remanufactured to factory spec. Would people here be interested in them at say $1,500 USD for the pair plus shipping from Canada?

This price would only be good for a batch order, costs go up significantly for low volume as you'd imagine.

If you would be interested in buying a set for your car, even as spares to keep on hand for the inevitable need, please PM me your intent or reply here. Replacement headlights are $10k+ and I don't see them getting any cheaper going forward, and 9 times out of 10 the issue is just the lens.

Cheers!
Reactions: AngelOfMurci
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
PM sent, interested in having a backup set. Also has anyone thought about the LP640 tail light lenses? I have a couple sets of broken 640 tail lights I’ve been collecting that have broken lenses I’d really like to fix.

· Registered
20 Posts
Are LP640 tail lenses glass or plastic?
Plastic, shouldn’t take much to make (nothing compared to the headlights). Just need a buck, vacuum mold(?), heat, red lexan and skills I don’t have!

· Registered
328 Posts
Eurospares sells replacement rear covers for the tail lights. Part number 410045096

You will have to contact them as this part is not active on their website and does not give you anything when you Google it. That said I have ordered them before so they should still be available.

· Registered
2006 LP640
107 Posts
Eurospares sells replacement rear covers for the tail lights. Part number 410045096

You will have to contact them as this part is not active on their website and does not give you anything when you Google it. That said I have ordered them before so they should still be available.
Thanks for the info - looks like these are for the Pre-LP only.

Unfortunately for the LP, it seems that you can only purchase the complete assembly. I'm very happy to be wrong here! :)

· Registered
20 Posts
I’ve been looking for a long time for LP tail light replacement lenses and had to see for myself when I seen the post then noticed it was for Pre LP. I’ve thought about trying a set and having them spray tinted red if they will fit the LP housings but haven’t pulled the trigger yet to see.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I just can't imagine the market for rear lens replacements is very large. Headlights however being glass seem to like to spontaneously explode even...

I could explore having tail lenses made out of some sort of plastic after some research, I just doubt it's a widespread issue. Tail lights aren't getting rock chips at 100mph+ :LOL:

· Registered
20 Posts
I just can't imagine the market for rear lens replacements is very large. Headlights however being glass seem to like to spontaneously explode even...

I could explore having tail lenses made out of some sort of plastic after some research, I just doubt it's a widespread issue. Tail lights aren't getting rock chips at 100mph+ :LOL:
But you gotta figure all of the early Murci guys upgrading (as I have done to the last 2 Murci’s) and looking to do to my 03. That’s over half the Murci’s produced. And have you looked at the prices of a LP tail light lately? They are well over 10k a set which is almost headlight money. So yes id say there is very much a market for lenses.

· Registered
94 Posts
Just to clear something up. The replacement front headlight lens covers you see advertised for sale are plastic and the originals were glass...?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just to clear something up. The replacement front headlight lens covers you see advertised for sale are plastic and the originals were glass...?
Yes, that is correct. I purchased a pair to refinish my headlights with after a lens cracked during the refinishing process (ironically while waiting for the silicon to cure, the lens just popped). The clarity and overall look is not comparable to glass...not even close...

I went as far as hunting down and contacting the factory that makes the OEM headlight assemblies, and they said they cannot sell individual lenses, assuming since they're ordered in batches by Lamborghini.

Obviously $10,000+ per complete assembly is crazy, especially when 9/10 the issue is just a cracked lens...which I'm hoping to remedy for 10% of the cost.

Initial samples should arrive in the coming weeks. I will test fit and post photos once they're installed.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
But you gotta figure all of the early Murci guys upgrading (as I have done to the last 2 Murci’s) and looking to do to my 03. That’s over half the Murci’s produced. And have you looked at the prices of a LP tail light lately? They are well over 10k a set which is almost headlight money. So yes id say there is very much a market for lenses.
If I could get 20 preorders for them paid for, I'd consider it. I think the cracked lenses is a much wider spread problem.

· Registered
94 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I purchased a pair to refinish my headlights with after a lens cracked during the refinishing process (ironically while waiting for the silicon to cure, the lens just popped). The clarity and overall look is not comparable to glass...not even close...

I went as far as hunting down and contacting the factory that makes the OEM headlight assemblies, and they said they cannot sell individual lenses, assuming since they're ordered in batches by Lamborghini.

Obviously $10,000+ per complete assembly is crazy, especially when 9/10 the issue is just a cracked lens...which I'm hoping to remedy for 10% of the cost.

Initial samples should arrive in the coming weeks. I will test fit and post photos once they're installed.
So you are having glass moulded to fit the shape? Were the originals toughened glass or special laminated glass...? Just from road safety and lens clarity perspective...? I was about to buy a pair of restored headlights, although this has put me off the idea. I will have a better look at mine tomorrow. Thanks

· Registered
2005 Murcielago Coupe Gated Manual
19 Posts
I've tried to find someone who sells just the lenses in actual glass, not the plastic ones, to no avail besides basically finding them off wrecked cars.

I've inquired about having them remanufactured to factory spec. Would people here be interested in them at say $1,500 USD for the pair plus shipping from Canada?

This price would only be good for a batch order, costs go up significantly for low volume as you'd imagine.

If you would be interested in buying a set for your car, even as spares to keep on hand for the inevitable need, please PM me your intent or reply here. Replacement headlights are $10k+ and I don't see them getting any cheaper going forward, and 9 times out of 10 the issue is just the lens.

Cheers!
I am interested as well as long as they are the same for pre LP cars. Mine is 2005.
Kuddos to you for taking a stab at this!

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So you are having glass moulded to fit the shape? Were the originals toughened glass or special laminated glass...? Just from road safety and lens clarity perspective...? I was about to buy a pair of restored headlights, although this has put me off the idea. I will have a better look at mine tomorrow. Thanks
Originals definitely weren't laminated. They are essentially made of what Pyrex is made of. Incredibly strong...until they're not. Definitely not tempered glass either as when my lens shattered it didn't break into little cubes, as is the same when you look at all the broken ones on eBay. There's pros and cons to both types of glass...I'm just going for OEM replacement.

If the restored headlights you're buying are using glass lenses, then you will be happy I'm sure. Plastic lenses didn't cut it for me, but probably undetectable to the average person...until you push on them with your finger or see that they flex, are not as clear and swirl up easily.

· Registered
94 Posts
Originals definitely weren't laminated. They are essentially made of what Pyrex is made of. Incredibly strong...until they're not. Definitely not tempered glass either as when my lens shattered it didn't break into little cubes, as is the same when you look at all the broken ones on eBay. There's pros and cons to both types of glass...I'm just going for OEM replacement.

If the restored headlights you're buying are using glass lenses, then you will be happy I'm sure. Plastic lenses didn't cut it for me, but probably undetectable to the average person...until you push on them with your finger or see that they flex, are not as clear and swirl up easily.
Sounds like a great idea you are trying to do. As currently, glass replacement light covers are not available then the ones I am looking at must to plastic. They certainly charge enough to replace them. I am currently looking for a replacement complete light, not just the lens covers. Thanks. Haha.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts