Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I was seeing what you guys thought on this subject. I'm due for a clutch on my 06 Murci, I was just quoted for everything i wanted done by an independent shop in my area, this is what i was looking to do with engine out. Clutch replacement, rear main seal, Clutch sensor fluids involved, engine mounts, valve adjust, and some known problem coolant lines. My question is this car has 17,500 miles and the shop is saying throw out bearing is must change part. I've talked to people in the past most which say that these usually are fine after going through first clutch, seeing what your thoughts are. I'm fine with changing it for the peace of mind but its also quoted at 4,700.00 for just that. I know they're expensive but this is separate from the labor prices to do this entire work order. Any thoughts are always appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Consider that most of those 17,500 miles may have been in stop-start traffic...? If the release bearing fails fails before the new clutch is worn out, would you then change just the bearing and not the clutch...? Also, if you don't change everything now and there are any issues relating to the clutch work in the near future, I bet the shop won't honour any liability.

Clutch maintenance requires engine out so a timely and costly exercise, therefore better to change everything now and have peace of mind.

·
Vendor
1,810 Posts
Good morning, I was seeing what you guys thought on this subject. I'm due for a clutch on my 06 Murci, I was just quoted for everything i wanted done by an independent shop in my area, this is what i was looking to do with engine out. Clutch replacement, rear main seal, Clutch sensor fluids involved, engine mounts, valve adjust, and some known problem coolant lines. My question is this car has 17,500 miles and the shop is saying throw out bearing is must change part. I've talked to people in the past most which say that these usually are fine after going through first clutch, seeing what your thoughts are. I'm fine with changing it for the peace of mind but its also quoted at 4,700.00 for just that. I know they're expensive but this is separate from the labor prices to do this entire work order. Any thoughts are always appreciated. Thanks
It's a good idea to replace the throw out bearing. Murci throw out bearing is hydraulic and if it fails it can leak on your new clutch. We have seen them fail and leak. When it fails and leaks, then you have to buy the throw out bearing anyway and buy another clutch and pay for the engine out labor again. So it's not a good idea not changing your throw out bearing.

We have clutches and throw out bearing that lasts 350% longer than a factory clutch. You can read more about our clutches here:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i was pretty much figuring that to be the answers i was going to get and that's what i'm going to do. I was just also questioning the bearing at about 4,700.00 looks like not including labor. Seems high by a few thousand. Also i wanted to use your clutch i spoke with you guys a few weeks back and what's crazy is i asked this independent shop that i would like to use your kevlar clutch and they told me that it would be a 25% up charge in labor which is crazy additional and i cant do it at that point. Does this seem to be common with shops?? Thank You

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a good idea to replace the throw out bearing. Murci throw out bearing is hydraulic and if it fails it can leak on your new clutch. We have seen them fail and leak. When it fails and leaks, then you have to buy the throw out bearing anyway and buy another clutch and pay for the engine out labor again. So it's not a good idea not changing your throw out bearing.

We have clutches and throw out bearing that lasts 350% longer than a factory clutch. You can read more about our clutches here:

Ok i was pretty much figuring that to be the answers i was going to get and that's what i'm going to do. I was just also questioning the bearing at about 4,700.00 looks like not including labor. Seems high by a few thousand. Also i wanted to use your clutch i spoke with you guys a few weeks back and what's crazy is i asked this independent shop that i would like to use your kevlar clutch and they told me that it would be a 25% up charge in labor which is crazy additional and i cant do it at that point. Does this seem to be common with shops?? Thank You

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whether or not to change the throwout bearing is a genuine decision to make because the $4700 you were quoted is for just the bearing. There is almost no additional labor when doing the clutch to change the bearing. In most cars the bearing is cheap enough that you change it as a matter of course but on a Murci it stops and makes you think twice. Some good points were raised about the potential problems with re-using the bearing and if it were my car I would really think about it before deciding one way or the other.

With regards to being quoted 25% more LABOR to install a kevlar clutch instead of a OEM one that is crazy. The work is 100% identical so there should be no difference in labor costs. Find another shop.

·
Vendor
1,810 Posts
The shop is trying to sell you the parts themselves so they can make money on parts. The oem throw out bearing is less than $4k so they are selling it to you for more than retail. Also they want you to buy a clutch 3 times and pay for installation 3 times instead of buying our clutch once since our clutch last 350% longer than a stock clutch.

Do you have E-gear or 6 speed manual?

How much are they charging you for the clutch? Labor? What's the name of the shop? If you like you can PM me his name.

We have sold to shops in your area.

·
Vendor
1,810 Posts
Whether or not to change the throwout bearing is a genuine decision to make because the $4700 you were quoted is for just the bearing. There is almost no additional labor when doing the clutch to change the bearing. In most cars the bearing is cheap enough that you change it as a matter of course but on a Murci it stops and makes you think twice. Some good points were raised about the potential problems with re-using the bearing and if it were my car I would really think about it before deciding one way or the other.

With regards to being quoted 25% more LABOR to install a kevlar clutch instead of a OEM one that is crazy. The work is 100% identical so there should be no difference in labor costs. Find another shop.
Agree 100%. Our Kevlar clutch takes the same labor as a stock clutch. The programming actually takes less time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts