Lamborghini Talk banner

Murcielago broke down again today - any advice?

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  rockpool 
#1 ·
Not again.
So earlier today the Murcielago was running perfectly until I heard some unusual pops from the exhaust. These got louder and louder which then turned from pops into loud bangs.
Cat warning lights light up the dash and engine cuts out. Engine starts again but then immediately cuts out.
Given it’s just had new sports cats is this a coincidence or another issue.
Any advice appreciated as ever.
Simon

#2 ·
Not again.
So earlier today the Murcielago was running perfectly until I heard some unusual pops from the exhaust. These got louder and louder which then turned from pops into loud bangs.
Cat warning lights light up the dash and engine cuts out. Engine starts again but then immediately cuts out.
Given it’s just had new sports cats is this a coincidence or another issue.
Any advice appreciated as ever.
Simon
Just curious… prior to getting new sports cats, how long had the car been running without any issues?

#4 ·
“Stinks of fuel”?

ANY mechanic worth their proverbial salt will tell you that raw fuel is killing your cats.

Let me guess, your sport cats just went in because your last cats died on you? Maybe even the same side, again?

You have raw fuel going into the exhaust on that side. Raw fuel is the number 2 killer of cats, #1 being just wearing them out.

You might also be getting misfire CEL lights too?

Good luck! You have a 12+ year old exotic, you will have a problem or too, but Murci’s are absolutely amazing cars and very reasonably reliable too.

#8 ·
Check you are getting spark to the side that smells. Sounds ignition related or fuel pressure regulator.

#9 ·
It could be contaminated fuel or water in the system also. Did it start after refueling or has the car been sitting awhile.Do you use fuel stabilizer? Modern gas mixtures with high alcohol content go bad very quickly. It is also very common for water to accumulate in a tank that is not emptied and refilled regularly. if that water goes down the fuel rail to a couple of cylinders, it will kill them then when the fuel comes after the water, they will not fire. I agree that it sounds like could be spark also. verify that all cylinders are firing. I got a tank of gas one time that had so much water in it that the car died and had to go to the dealer and be pumped out. Water in fuel has caused lots of problems over the years. Especially if you move the car from cold to warm environments. The temp change causes condensation and then it accumulates. If spark is good, I would pull the fuel filter and drain the line and filter into a glass jar. See what is coming out of the tank. Also were you on a slope when it occurred ? There could be a bubble of water floating around in your tank. Good luck. Let us know.

#10 ·
Unburnt fuel is usually due to no spark. As mentioned you could pinpoint cylinder not burning by IR thermometer and then look at changing coil and spark plug.

The early murcis are prone to getting rain water in the front ignition coil wells. This then causes a variety of electrical continuity issues which finally lead to the ignition coil popping. That photo-shoot you did looked wet.....

#12 ·
Cheers for the reply’s guys, I’ll let you know what happens.
So embarrassing yesterday as it took 6hrs for recovery and I was broken down on a very busy road right opposite a Porsche & Ferrari dealership!
To be fair I went over and they kept me filled up with coffee all afternoon.
The traffic had backed up a mile by the time the truck turned up, people taking photos etc 🙄
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

#13 ·
Cheers for the reply’s guys, I’ll let you know what happens.
So embarrassing yesterday as it took 6hrs for recovery and I was broken down on a very busy road right opposite a Porsche & Ferrari dealership!
To be fair I went over and they kept me filled up with coffee all afternoon.
The traffic had backed up a mile by the time the truck turned up, people taking photos etc 🙄 View attachment 324318
A broken down Lambo on the side of the road… an impromptu car show!

#19 ·
Easy and inexpensive fixes are always the best.

Sucks you had to take it in to the dealer , but the positive of this is they are now vetted. You have a good dealer. Some out there could have turned that easy fix into a big and expensive repair.

#21 ·
Sucks to break down in the Lambo. Happened to me once in the Murcie. I was fortunately in a parking lot. My son came to the rescue. I can imagine 6 hrs of torture. I bet the Ferrari dealership got a lot of mileage out of your breakdown.I can hear the salesmen now: "When have you ever seen a FERRARI broken down on the side of the road" I am going to pull my coils tomorrow. That could explain my elusive problem. I keep getting O2 sensor codes and it runs like crap when first started but then improves when warmed up and run hard. The excess fuel could cause an errant O2 sensor reading. I have changed the sensors. It may be burning the water out of the plug socket. After running awhile, the code disappears until it sits again. Which plug sockets get the water? Lee

#22 ·
Only one socket on the right bank Lee. The Lambo Tech said Murcielago 6.2’s & oddly Aventador SVJ’s are very prone to water ingress down the plug sockets leading to shorting. The main fuse then blows and shuts down the whole bank.
When they get a rough running Murcielago smelling of fuel it’s the first thing they check..

#25 ·
Exactly

water will come right in from the engine bonnet slats.… all you need to do is lay a couple of full sized bath towels over the engine before washing to minimize water intrusion

and I also don’t like to drive mine in the rain.. a few other cars I don’t mind… just not the Lambos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.