Lamborghini Talk banner

Murcielago 2WD Conversion: ACTUAL weight loss figures

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Nuvolari 
#1 ·
Over the years I have read all kinds of figures of how much weight is saved when going 2WD with a Murcielago. The numbers I have read are anywhere from 100-300 lbs. Reid Performance quotes on their website a weight savings of 150 lbs.

Today I broke out the scale and weighed all of the pieces that comes OFF of the car when you go 2WD. Remember any pieces of a 2WD conversion like a transmission mount and stub axles have their own weight that is then added back on.

Here is the list:

Prop Shaft - 5.73 lbs
Torque Tube - 10.2 lbs
Half-shaft #1 - 14.65 lbs
Half-shaft #2 - 15.00 lbs
Differential - 57.2 lbs (includes diff oil)
All Hardware - 3.37 lbs (includes all bolts, and front differential rubber mounts)

Total: 106.15 lbs

Bear in mind this is for a manual transmission car that has a longer torque tube and prop shaft. As such these numbers represent the maximum amount of weight that will come off again BEFORE you put back a forward transmission mount and stub axles. I do not have weights for the Reid Performance parts but it is fair to say that the NET weight savings is somewhere closer to 90-95 lbs. Not insignificant but a decent amount less than is generally quoted.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have my parts to hand due to an ongoing house move, but I remember numbers similar to yours. I was hoping for 65kg from what I had read on the internet but recall being disappointed by around 10kg.

Did a friend's LP640 eGear and the numbers there were around 50 kg. So 110 +-5 pounds sounds about right.

I'll re-weigh mine once I get things out of storage...

#6 ·
Very cool! Nice job, looks like Reid Performance has some explaining to do on how they got the 150 lbs figure lol.

Reactions: Stimpy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.