Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have read all kinds of figures of how much weight is saved when going 2WD with a Murcielago. The numbers I have read are anywhere from 100-300 lbs. Reid Performance quotes on their website a weight savings of 150 lbs.

Today I broke out the scale and weighed all of the pieces that comes OFF of the car when you go 2WD. Remember any pieces of a 2WD conversion like a transmission mount and stub axles have their own weight that is then added back on.

Here is the list:

Prop Shaft - 5.73 lbs
Torque Tube - 10.2 lbs
Half-shaft #1 - 14.65 lbs
Half-shaft #2 - 15.00 lbs
Differential - 57.2 lbs (includes diff oil)
All Hardware - 3.37 lbs (includes all bolts, and front differential rubber mounts)

Total: 106.15 lbs

Bear in mind this is for a manual transmission car that has a longer torque tube and prop shaft. As such these numbers represent the maximum amount of weight that will come off again BEFORE you put back a forward transmission mount and stub axles. I do not have weights for the Reid Performance parts but it is fair to say that the NET weight savings is somewhere closer to 90-95 lbs. Not insignificant but a decent amount less than is generally quoted.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't have my parts to hand due to an ongoing house move, but I remember numbers similar to yours. I was hoping for 65kg from what I had read on the internet but recall being disappointed by around 10kg.

Did a friend's LP640 eGear and the numbers there were around 50 kg. So 110 +-5 pounds sounds about right.

I'll re-weigh mine once I get things out of storage...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't have my parts to hand due to an ongoing house move, but I remember numbers similar to yours. I was hoping for 65kg from what I had read on the internet but recall being disappointed by around 10kg.

Did a friend's LP640 eGear and the numbers there were around 50 kg. So 110 +-5 pounds sounds about right.

I'll re-weigh mine once I get things out of storage...
50 Kg or 110 Lbs is still a very Good weight saving though

·
Registered
431 Posts
50 Kg or 110 Lbs is still a very Good weight saving though
Indeed and add it to an exhaust upgrade and a lithium battery and you have over 100kg off the car - probably better than SV spec. Mine weighed 1650kg (3630lbs) with some fuel and no driver on an imprecise weighbridge.... I need to get it on some CW scales...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very cool! Nice job, looks like Reid Performance has some explaining to do on how they got the 150 lbs figure lol.

Reactions: Stimpy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Indeed and add it to an exhaust upgrade and a lithium battery and you have over 100kg off the car - probably better than SV spec. Mine weighed 1650kg (3630lbs) with some fuel and no driver on an imprecise weighbridge.... I need to get it on some CW scales...
Very True

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very cool! Nice job, looks like Reid Performance has some explaining to do on how they got the 150 lbs figure lol.
I find Reid Performance to be decent and he knows his stuff. He also has Great Products for our Platform

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My post was merely a reflection of what I found relative to what is published. Reid Performance has been an asset to the community for a long time and in no way am I slamming them for the discrepancy I measured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts