Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who might have not heard...

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html#

Both were true enthusiasts. Ben, who goes by the screen name of "ben, lj" frequented a few automotive forums. I meet him at one of the San Diego meets few months ago. Last we echanged e-mail, we were discussing how we were going to have our daughters meet and play at the June 12th Symbolic Exotic Meet. Since he lived less than a mile away from me, we even talked about having our families together for dinner. Such a great loss.

Corey might not frequent any automotive boards, but he was a true Lambo enthusiast. He joined us last year at the Running of the Bulls driving his 40th Anniversary Murci. This year, he drove is 300-mile 2005 Murci Roadster at the Scuderia Rampage track event. I'm sure he would have joined us in the next RoftB event in August.

I will sure miss these guys. My prayers and thought are with Ben, Corey and their families.

RIP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Raymond, it is indeed sad to hear of these losses. I just cant help but think that if they had helmets and saftey gear on, it might have been different. Most people fail to understand that if you are to go on a track, you need helmets. period. It is absolutely vital that people wear helmets and safety gear on these events. I feel very appreciative of friends and family simply because I know that life is so fragile. My condolences to their families.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Both men were wearing helmets and safety belts but the car was doing more than 100 mph when it crashed, authorities said.
100mph with this side impact causes heavy insuries, no car is built to absorb such an impact energy, frontal impact is much better.

my condolences, a car can be replaced human's not... :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
qvpower said:
Raymond, it is indeed sad to hear of these losses. I just cant help but think that if they had helmets and saftey gear on, it might have been different. Most people fail to understand that if you are to go on a track, you need helmets. period. It is absolutely vital that people wear helmets and safety gear on these events. I feel very appreciative of friends and family simply because I know that life is so fragile. My condolences to their families.
They did have helmets. Internal organ injuries with high speed crashes are a very common cause of death and crash helmets don't help a bit with that problem anyway. If you do wear a helmet you really need a helmet cord too.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
without knowing the details of the driver, I wonder if he had any formal advanced driving training. It is sadly too often the case that someone can afford to buy high performance machinery but then doesn't recieve the necessary driver training to safely operate it to it's limits. These sort of accidents happen far too often....

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Raymond, very sad way to go doing something you love. Reminds me again I need driving lessons, even though that could have happend anyway. I guess I'd have to question why they use a concrete wall as a barrier too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
raymondo said:
Raymond, very sad way to go doing something you love
I dont think this ever applies. Im sure that you hate whatever your doing right before you know your going to die doing it. Do you think a parachuter loves his sport when he realizes his backup chute isnt opening at 2000 feet?

Very sad nonetheless, my condolances to their families :(

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
There was a vigil scheduled for this morning for Ben in Southern California. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. God Bless both of them and their families.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very sad indeed. My condolences to the families involved. Possibly there could be some racetrack changes implemented for the future such as impact absorbing barriers so that at least some good might come out of such a tragic event. I seem to remember hearing of a track that has done this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my mistake on the helmets.... It just goes to show that no matter what type of safety device, and no matter how many much safety is engineered into a car, speed is still very dangerous

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
DaLamboMan said:
Im sure that you hate whatever your doing right before you know your going to die doing it. Do you think a parachuter loves his sport when he realizes his backup chute isnt opening at 2000 feet?
I'm not so sure of that - I would not have commented except your exact senario was just too close to home. Twice I've skirted death to the point I said goodbye to familiy and friends (once in 1986 and once this past March). One involved what I thought was going to be a high speed head on collision and yes one involved skydiving - a parachute coming of my back soon after leaving the plane at 14000ft. And I was not alone "knowing" I was about to die as my skydiving buddies in the air with me also saw death looming... for over a minute. A lot of things went through my head but during the last 10 seconds it was stragely very calm to the point I even checked out what I was about to crash through at 120mph. It was a restuarant that I normally had breakfast at and the only thought by that time was "this will make a grand entrance". But the dice was rolled and I came up lucky in both events. I was 9 seconds from the end in the skydiving incident and the head on one was a miss as I closed my eyes with the other vehicle just feet from me (my girlfriends words to me just before we thought it was over were "please save us").

I've come to believe that there can be an incredibly fine line between fun and tragedy. Regardless, you can't stop doing what you enjoy. But I do take time to think of all the people effected by these sorts of things. Very sad.

-mick

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Mick,

you bring to mind an important point!

many of us here involve ourselves voluntarily in Extreme Sports! many here have the "need" for the adrenalin rush of risky business. With extreme sports comes risk. We accept the risk because of an internal need that many of us possess. This is a horrific tragedy!! One that could befall many of us. Please everyone, understand the risks involved in our brand of fun, pay attention to the details, understand your limitations and above all be careful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
rascasse said:
without knowing the details of the driver, I wonder if he had any formal advanced driving training. It is sadly too often the case that someone can afford to buy high performance machinery but then doesn't recieve the necessary driver training to safely operate it to it's limits. These sort of accidents happen far too often....
I never met either guy, but from what I read on some of the other forums the driver was very good with better than average car control who had driven in many track events. An event marshall waved a Ferrari out of the pits and onto the track directly in front of the oncoming Porsche. The driver of the Porsche swerved to miss the Ferrari and lost control at approx 150 mph. There are times when no matter what your skill level is as a driver, somethings are just out of your control. May God bless them and their families, and may God be with the driver of the Ferrari as he has to live with this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would like to send an LTalk Flower arrangement to the funerals...anyone else interested in participating in the flower arrangement send your donatinations to the LTalk paypal account with a note "Arangement"!

This is a sad and horrible thing to face, let's make the families feel our understanding and compassion at this time of grief!

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I'm currently doing the Player's Run with some of our L-talk members.

I'll try to find out where we can send those flowers.

As for the Player's Run report, I'll see if I'll have time to post some pictures and some updates tomorrow. We just did a 9.5 hours drive today through the states of WA and OR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What saddness..

That is unbelieveable. I was just talking to Jim Heady, the President of the Lambo club and he told me what happened. I was supposed to be there but my 6.0 is in the shop. I met Corey at the Rampage in Las Vegas and was 'glossy eyed' over his new Merci. Roadster. So hard to believe...

I know we had quite a few Ferrari guys at the Rampage that were taking there car to the limits..close to hitting the wall too. Maybe we need to spend time discussing and instructing on driving safely. Not sure the situation at the California Speedway but I assume the driver of the GT lost control of his car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts