Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three questions:

1) Can anyone tell me why the Miura engine numbers differ in number of digits? For example chassis number 4467 has engine number 3006 (4 digit engine number) while chassis number 4356 has engine number 30440 (5 digit engine number). Chassis 4467 was built AFTER chassis 4356. After roughly May/June 1969 it looks like the factory moved to a 5 digit engine code yet at least a dozen cars manufactured after that date have the 4 digit engine number. Is this an indication of anything specific to these later, "4 digit" cars?

2) Can I assume that the helter skelter relationship of production order, chassis numbers, and engine numbers just reflects the hand built nature of these cars? There are dozens and dozens of cars built out of "linear sequence" and loads of chassis numbers simply don't appear at all in the books. Was the chassis number sequence shared with other Lamborghinis being manufactured at the same time?.

3) Several Miura enthusiasts have told me that it was "common practice" for new cars to be driven by Italian owners for some period, then sent back to the factory for re-conditioning, and then sold to unsuspecting consumers around the world as "new" cars. I've heard the same thing from Ferrari experts. Any truth to this urban myth?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi Tim and Welcome to LTALK!

WOW...Difficult Questions to answer emphatically. The cars were definately "finished" out of sequence. Meaning that if a special order came in for a particular car, it was pulled from the line and changes made, then put back in line and finished. Also I would assume there were a few Leaky, Blown Engines along the way, maybe a Bad Tranny or two here & there, so this would further Skew the Sequence, so on and so forth. Then onewould have to take into account Warranty Issues that surely popped up at least in Europe.

Honestly, I've never heard about "used cars" being redone (at Lambo at least..., Chrysler was certianly doing it in the 80's-90's and got caught) and sold as new, but it's surely well within the realm of possibility and business practice back in those days.

Best Regards, JRV

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.